December 20, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

The 'Don't Touch My Junk' Guy Speaks Out: Passengers Are Treated 'Like Criminals' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Nov 16th 2010 2:35AM
The 'Don't Touch My Junk' Guy Speaks Out: Passengers Are Treated 'Like Criminals'John Tyner is an Internet sensation -- and he's become a bit of a folk hero. This weekend, the 31-year-old was ejected from a San Diego airport after refusing to submit to a full-body scan. Security officials then wanted to do a "pat-down" -- a frisking procedure that involves a "groin check." Next, Tyner made this now-famous reply: "If you touch my junk, I'll have you arrested."

Instead, Tyner was nearly arrested. He was removed from the airport by security, and he now faces a potential lawsuit and $10,000 fine. On 'CNN Newsroom' (daily, 3PM ET on CNN), John discussed the issue of terrorism and the point that he was trying to make.

Tyler left his cell phone on during the TSA encounter, recording audio of the confrontation. The tape features Tyner saying to an official: "I don't understand how a sexual assault can be made a condition of my flying." The TSA agent insisted on a pat-down, saying it was not assault. "It would be if you weren't the government," John replied.

While speaking with CNN, Tyner argued that enhanced airport security hasn't made Americans any safer. He added that ordinary passengers, not TSA officials, had stopped terrorists like Richard Reid and the "Underwear Bomber." In fact, CBS News has reported that despite a $200 million budget, the TSA has never prevented a single terrorist from boarding a plane.

"We oughta stop treating passengers like criminals and start treating them like heroes," Tyner concluded.

mindy

what a squirrely little dude. no one is making him fly. he acts like it is his right. if his name was hussain or mohammed you can bet that no one would be on his side.

November 24 2010 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicky

Nobody's making you get on an airplane. If you don't like the screening procedure, then don't fly on an airplane. Air travel is not a human right. If you want to use it, you need to follow the rules, and as long as most people don't see a problem with it, then it's not a problem.

November 23 2010 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

If he actually took time to READ the disclaimer on the tickets... by purchasing a ticket, you imply that you will submit to a search and screening, Be there early for SECURITY screening, (hello) pay for extra baggage, etc... I agree that the TSA has a lot of power but it is what it is if you want to fly to a destination. Simple as that. If something DID happen in flight, I wouldn't want this guy next to me if I had to act and do something drastic... like save my life or HIS. Don't like it? Use another mode of transportation or stay home.

November 17 2010 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Matt's comment
sgreen4

He didn't need to read the ticket. He went to get on the plane. They wanted to search him and he refused. He wanted to GO HOME and they wanted to search him again! He said he will take the train or bus. He did the right thing; the TSA did the wrong thing. He has a right to refuse being searched. He didn't want to get on the plane anymore and they still insisted on searching him. Explain to me how that is right

November 17 2010 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slowdown

Plain and simple, I ain't having it. And, no, I won't be flying. I don't give a rats @$$ how long it takes to get where I'm going. I will travel slowly and enjoy myself, and my life, in my own way. There is no longer anything enjoyable about flying the commercial airlines. First, I spend a large sum of my money, for which I worked hard, to purchase a non-refundable coach ticket because first class really isn't. I get to go through all the TSA humiliation, and anyone that says the TSA experience is not humiliating has no humility (which is, apparently, pretty common in today's society - about 8 out of 10 peope lack humility). Then, I get to hang out in some really awful airport (like Newark or Cincinnati) for hours, after an early arrival for the TSA security proceedings, waiting for a late plane. I get to sit next to the screaming baby or the fat guy during the flight because I have no choice. I might eat something, I might not, depending on what healthy snacks I can manage to smuggle onto the plane. I get to hold my bowels for hours when nature calls because airplane toilets are, quite simply, a nightmare. Sometimes, I even get to sit on the tarmac for hours waiting for clearance to takeoff or an available terminal after landing. Did I miss any of the fun? Look at the way all you lemmings live your lives. In the end, after all the pretext, my comment is simple. I don't need the airlines or the TSA in my life. I will do everything in my power to avoid this experience.

November 17 2010 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharleen

I feel this jerk just wants his 15 minutes of fame. Is he out of touch of what has been going on at airports. He is the type of guy that if something happened he'd complain not enough was done. that is if he made it and blame the TSA.

November 17 2010 at 4:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JDoc

Two points. Mr Tyner, by referring to his private parts as "junk" at least knows which part of the gene pool he inhabits. That's a good thing.
Grasping for his 15 seconds of fame by being a whiny childish trouble maker is just sad.

November 17 2010 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MinishGirl

Why are people so worried about a pat down? When we had a bomb threat at our school, EVERYONE was searched EVERYWHERE. People going through airport security have it easy. People going into prison have to get cavity searches. Think about it. Would you rather have a pat down by the TSA or an anal/crotch probe? Stop being babies and follow the rules. Don't wanna get a pat down, then you don't need to fly.

November 16 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
billpro0

Anyone who supports this punk is a potential terrorist. Beware those who cry about their individual rights when ignoring the rights of all!

November 16 2010 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to billpro0's comment
ay200

Dude, we get it, you enjoy exploiting the nudity of your own children in order to guarantee a slightly faster mode of transportation.

God bless billpro0 and all the other sick people like him.

November 16 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z!

As far as I'm concerned these X rays are a win win. The problem with metal detectors besides being antiquated technology is that they can miss things like... oh I dont know... anything thats not metal. The body scanner is a much more targeted approach. And for us travelers think of all the time that would be saved going to security at the airport. I am usually pretty diligent and make sure I dont have on anything that could make the detector go off. But 90% of people oh forgot to take out loose change, have their cell, are wearing a belt, jewelry and so on. That clog up the line. They go back and forth through the machine, and end up getting a pat down anyway. Cant wait for new tech that can identify a threatening liquid so I can carry my shampoo again

Now you want crazy security go to Jamaica. All of our security with better agents who find that bottle of lotion you forgot about PLUS at the gate before you can board a manual search of your bag and a pat down for everyone! That I feel is a little much but boy the outcry we would hear in the US

November 16 2010 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim

If airlines want to eliminate the possibility of future incidents similar to this one, make a new rule: either go through the xray machine, or don't fly. They shouldn't be touching passengers at all, unless something dangerous is found in an xray. I completely understand national security. Nobody wants another 9/11, but what about respecting the privacy of others?

November 16 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply