April 16, 2014

'Dancing With the Stars:' Who's Not Dancing in the Finale?

by Sharon Knolle, posted Nov 17th 2010 1:10AM

Only three couples will compete in the 'Dancing With the Stars' finale next week: Which star got the bad news tonight that the show will go on without them?

All four had a great night last night, but whose time is up? Disney star Kyle Massey? Singer Brandy? Teen activist Bristol Palin? Or 'Dirty Dancing' star Jennifer Grey?

Keep reading to see if your votes -- or your decision not to vote last night -- influenced who'll compete for the Season 11 Mirror Ball Trophy.

We found out early on that Jennifer will be in the finals, then Kyle, leaving the bad news to fall either to (in the words of Tom Bergeron) underdog Bristol or season-long top-scorer Brandy.

Nearly every elimination so far this season has been called "shocking," but who could have predicted that Brandy would not even make it to the finale?

Brandy looked near tears and partner Maks Chmerkovskiy winced in disappointment as Bergeron read their names. After a long embrace from Maks, Brandy said, "I don't know how to feel right now. it hasn't processed yet for me."

"I am shocked," Bruno Tonioli told her, "because last night you delivered a fantastic performance, amazing. I'm so disappointed... your freestyle, I was looking forward so much to seeing it." He begged her to perform their freestyle on Tuesday's results show.

Bergeron asked Maks to comment on the fact that this season has been so unkind to high scorers and the dancer, whose family emigrated from Russia, answered that the public voting is one of the things he loves about America and that he has "no regrets."

Pre-elimination, Len Goodman told Brandy, "every week you've impressed me so much... I think you've been brilliant." To Bristol, he said, "I don't think anyone in 11 seasons has had such a journey. It's not how you start, it's how you finish and you've gradually got stronger and stronger. Congratulations on getting this far."

Before the results were announced, Brandy and Maks were asked to reprise their sexy Argentino tango from the night before, the one that earned them their first perfect "30."

"How confident are you feeling right now?" Brooke Burke asked Brandy about 20 minutes into the show. "I'm very, very nervous, but I think whatever's meant to be will be," the singer answered.

Did Brandy get overconfident? "It comes across sometimes as she wants it too bad, like she's already thinking about the mirror ball, when you should be thinking about every moment as it comes," Mark Ballas said during a clips package when the pros discussed the contestants.

Or did Brandy's fans simply not vote in strong enough numbers?

What do you think? Did the fans get it wrong or right?

Should Brandy have been voted off this week?
No! I can't believe she won't be in the finale.126233 (75.8%)
Yes, she just didn't have the fanbase that the other stars do.40309 (24.2%)

marwhitehouse

I have watched this show since the beginning. I have never been so disgusted in all my life. It amazes me to see that Bristol keeps on advancing each week. Anyone that knows how to dance can tell that she S@%*ks at it. She is as stiff as a board! My dog has more personality than Bristol has! I agree with you all in saying that she is not a star and she should have never been on the show. So, she had a baby when she was a teenage, so haven't a million other teenage girls, what makes Bristol so special?? Because her mother is in politics? My opinion, I don't think that Bristol is as innocent and shy as she wants people to believe. It is what she portrays when she is in the public eye because of her mother . DWTS has really made me believe that it's not about talent, it's about the almighty dollar!!!!!!!! If they let Bristol win, I will never watch this show ever again. Bristol really su@*ks at dancing!!! Any idiot can see that!!!

November 23 2010 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Who cares??????????????? If she was white and got voted off nobody would make a big deal over it. Move on and lets see who wins. Go Bristol Go.

November 23 2010 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

It would be a disgrace to allow Bristol or Kyle the win, as it was Jennifer Grey doing fantastic in dancing, and if they allow the politics to waiver the voting for Bristol to win, that would be so wrong, but, I would have to understand that the young adulescent or adults would vote for her, as for Kyle, he's watched on "That's So Raven," although not a great dancer, he's very entertaining and humble, plus the last male star left...this may give him the win!

November 23 2010 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

With perfect scores, and standing ovations each week, Jennifer Grey should be awarded the trophy in due respect! However, I would be surprised if either Kyle or Bristol won, as much as they've improved and Kyle is entertaining, Jennifer has been consistent in bringing in the high scores! Kyle may well be the winner, he's "the last man standing!"
Best Wishes to all, 'they're all winners!' Personally, for me, I was surprised that Brandy did last as long as she did, I truly didn't enjoy her or Makim(whom I feel is full of himself)!

November 23 2010 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Burns

I didn't know this was a political show. Most of these remarks are from bitter people.

November 23 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
V. McGuire

Everyday people are voting for Bristol, they can identify with her, that's why she's still there. She's had a hard time, and been severely judged for having a baby out of wedlock. It's hard for her with her famous Mom. Many people can relate to her, she's trying hard and has improved dramatically since the start. She deserves to be there. This show is about learning to dance and that's what she's doing. She shows a great deal of courage and determination! You go gal!!!! (79)

November 22 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeannine hackney

IT WAS A SCHOCK WHEN we found out that Bristal won. She is a sweet girl from whatlittle I could see however she was NOT the dancer that Jennifer or Brandy were. Max is a brilliant dancer , sure he loosses his cool now and then however that does not take away from hiw dancing.Just cool it Max and win next time!!!!!!

November 22 2010 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ruth

its sad that Politics has entered the outcome. Sure Bristol ewas good but the others were excellent and that is what its all about.If Bristol wins its no more watching for me.

November 22 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Williams

You are kidding us Right? Its time people recognize this program for what it is a farce. You see this isn't about who is the best dancers, obviously, but about ratings pure and simple. Unfortunately, we as viewers are directed to vote on popularity before qualifications. Ummm kinda reminds me of our political system!!!!!!!

November 22 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Just to clarifly things Bristol didn't ask to be on DWTS, the program wanted her dad but he was busy with snowmobile races at that time, so he suggested Bristol. I think it did her good to be on the show, as her mom is always in the highlights most all the time. I bet the kids don't get much attention at home from her. Also Bristol had her little boy there in Ca,he was shown in her apt when Mark came to practice their dance on week. Someone must have mistook her baby brother who is a bit older than Bristol's boy. Sara takes her baby son along where ever she goes. I think the show has helped Bristol to be out there and doing the show and not be so shy. AS far as weight, if you remember that Sabrina Bryan with the Cheetah girls, Kelly Osborn and a few others weren't Small either and I didn't hear all the talk about their size like they are doing to Bristol.I agree she isn't the greatest dancer but she has come a long way from when she started, Mark has been a good teacher and I notice he gives her a lot of encouragement.
Jay