October 23, 2014

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Supernatural' Pays Tribute to 'The X-Files'

by Maureen Ryan, posted Nov 17th 2010 6:04PM
'Supernatural' fans, the truth is out there.

In this exclusive clip from Friday's episode of 'Supernatural,' the show pays tribute to one of its biggest influences, 'The X-Files.'

As 'Supernatural' fans know, the show doesn't usually feature an opening credit sequence. But as 'Supernatural' executive producer Sera Gamble explained, an opening montage recalling 'The X-Files' seemed appropriate for Friday's episode, which has Sam and Dean Winchester investigating a UFO sighting.

When the episode, 'Clap Your Hands If You Believe,' was in the planning stages, "we decided to do an alien abduction as the teaser, and we immediately thought to do the title sequence," Gamble said.

"It would be hard to find someone working on the show who isn't an 'X-Files' fan," Gamble continued. "It was especially fun to put together the homage because 'Supernatural' does owe a real creative debt of gratitude to the show; I think the whole current generation of genre shows does."

Feast your eyes on the clip, which features some footage from Friday's episode and an enjoyable tribute to the credit sequence that graced 'The X-Files' (complete with musical nods to Mark Snow's famous theme for the Fox show):

[Mild spoilers for the episode ahead] There's been a lot of buzz about Friday's episode of 'Supernatural' since Comic-Con, when news emerged that executive producer Ben Edlund was writing an episode about -- wait for it -- fairies. So on Friday, we're getting an Edlund episode with an 'X-Files' homage and fairies? I don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned, it's already time to start giving thanks.

'Supernatural' fans, don't forget to come back to the Stay Tuned site Saturday for my weekly 'Supernatural' review. I should have it up by Saturday evening.

Here's the CW's full description of 'Clap Your Hands If You Believe,' which airs at 9PM ET Friday on the CW: "While Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) are investigating a UFO sighting, Dean is abducted from a crop circle. However, when he awakens, he discovers he isn't dealing with aliens, but fairies! Unfortunately, only Dean can see the fairy that keeps attacking him which makes tracing and stopping them difficult. The brothers become even more perplexed when Sam's investigation leads them to a world full of elves, gnomes and a leprechaun. John Showalter directed the episode written by Ben Edlund."

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

siddu s

Great ... i used to be a die-hard fan of The X files.. After the X files, the only show i follow regularly is Supernatural..
I still hope to see an episode where Dean and Sam Winchesters meets Fox Mulder and Dana Scully

November 17 2011 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Thank You Sera Gamble!
I love, love, love the new and improved Sam and Dean. They are finally acting like REAL people...of course they are real people after several visits to hell and one missing soul. But so much better! Awesome!

November 20 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J

Don't forget that John Shiban, one of the early writers for Supernatural, was direct from the X-Files writing staff.

That opening scene made me giddy.

November 18 2010 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lily

Thanks Mo!!! Looking forward to the episode. I'm a big X-Files fan so this will be a treat. They have made several references over the years about X-Files. My favorite is when Dean said he was Mulder and Sam was a red headed woman (Scully). I think it was the episode "The Usual Suspects."

November 17 2010 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Wylie

I can hardly wait. Jensen is such a good comedian, it ought to be hysterical. Eric Kripke said he was involved in the writing with Edlund and that they both were laughing like crazy. It's got to be good and we can use a little light hardedness. Supernatural is known for the fantastic comedic episodes. All I can say is Dean acting like Dean with Sam as his, this should be good.

November 17 2010 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Oh Squee! Thanks Mo for a special treat. If only Kim Manners could see this; he'd be proud. I love Ben Edlund's writing and I've been really looking forward to this. Supernatural still rocks!

November 17 2010 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RGNYC

Fantastic! Such a perfect homage to The X files. I did so love that show and so love Supernatural and to see this is just awesome. Spectaculacular!

Thanks, Mo!!!

November 17 2010 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mo Ryan

Whee, I'm so glad I finally got to share that with you. So much fun.

I'm betting Kim Manners thinks they kicked it in the ass.

Fun fact: I used to be the editor of The Official X-Files Magazine and was lucky enough to write a lot about the early seasons of that show. So getting to see Supernatural and X-Files sort of united was just so much fun :)

November 17 2010 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katie71483

I loved that "Truth is in there" tag that flashed up as the metallicar drove by. :)

November 17 2010 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hartbroknagn

This was wonderful... I watched 4 times. Thanks Mo, you are the best.

November 17 2010 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply