October 25, 2014

See Alec Baldwin in New (Awesome) Wegmans Commercials

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 18th 2010 3:05PM
Alec Baldwin, WegmansWhat happens when you pair one of the best actors on TV and quite possibly one of the greatest supermarkets in America? These fantastic commercials.

Alec Baldwin has teamed up with Wegmans for a series of holiday commercials. If you're not lucky enough to have ever been to Wegmans, well, I'm sorry for you. Wegmans has locations in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland and upstate New York. It's like Whole Foods ... but cheaper and better.

Those of you who have never been to a Wegmans can't begin to understand why its customers adore the store. Perhaps a road trip is in order for you? After all, don't you want to go to a supermarket that has salad bars, sushi, famous sandwiches, a full kitchen and in some cases a bar!?

The commercials were shot at the Wegmans Fairmount, NY in October. According to Syracuse.com, Baldwin's mother, Carol, is a customer of the store and the commercial features real-life Wegmans employees.

Check out the commercials below. Meanwhile, I'm going back to fantasizing about the last Wegmans sub I ate far too long ago.

[Editor's note: This is not an advertisement, Chris is just a fanatic]

amsjrny

Oh Hope, but it is heaven...just grocery store heaven! There is nothing like a Wegmans. They are not just consistantly in the top ten of best companies to work for in the US, they are consistantly 1 or 2. I grew up in upstate NY and went to RIT in Rochester, where I got to shop at Wegmans anytime I wanted. How I miss them. Living in SC, I am no where near one, but whenever I am you can bet a stop is on the agenda. Going into the newer ones, I feel like a tourist in a grocery store. For those of you who think we are going overboard in our praise, you must not have ever been to one. Go...you will understand the minute you walk in!!

November 29 2010 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hope

Wow,with all these comments one would think that they sell the cure for cancer. Its a grocery store,not Heaven.

November 21 2010 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tim fanning

this is a very good wegmans in fairmont new york and if u dont liek it go to price chopper and stay out of our hood and our store and if u dont like alec baldwin go some where else i have shopped ever since i moved to syracuse area in that wegmans and there is nuthin wrong with the people that work there the service or the food and by the way yes he did drive to see his mother that lives in camillus new york and that happens to be where she shops so get over ur self righteous speculation about whatu think the baldwins should do and where they shop

November 21 2010 at 4:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladysoul

chris...i was into believing you..ready to fly out just to have the experience of a wegman's and then
i saw the commercials you called fanntastic.....
are you crazy?????? these are fantastic.... you either have the worst taste in the world....glad
i didn't take that flight to try wegman's or your
brother owns the ad agency that created them !

November 21 2010 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin S

Is this writer serious about these being (Awesome) commercials? They suck! The commentator's voice is enough to make you hit the mute button instantly. I have never been to a Wegman's but these commercials certainly do not inspire me to make a "road trip".

November 21 2010 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Jo

After seeing these ads I decided to get one of those $6.00 meals. They are worth every penny. It was delicious and you can't beat the price. I'd probably pay just as much if not more if I went to some fast food place.

November 20 2010 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol Shafer

OOOOK....here's my chance to expound on why I love Wegmans'! I was employed by Wegmans when they built their first store across the N.Y. state line. I was given a three week orientation and the one thing I remember is my boss, Dave, say..."treat Wegmans' customers like you were welcoming them into your home." That stuck with me and it opened doors for me that I didn't dare dream! I went from being a demo person to learning how to cook at their resturant to cooking for the "strive for five" produce dept. then on to bigger and better things as a manager for the health dept. I also did many "PR" things for them such as radio and tv and "dinners" prepared for me from my dept. Wegmans' is one of the top ten employers to work for consistantly. They give a person who has no experience a chance to prove themselves. They are beautiful people with great personel and I say "hooray" for Wegmans...I just wish they would get to North Carolina!

November 20 2010 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

Oh yeah. Great place to shop. Maybe a great place to work if you're an employee. But as a vendor...they treated me like sh*t.

November 20 2010 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rob's comment
James

spent over 30yrs with the bastids Rob. you and I had to go in the back door too. how about those store receivers? "NOT MY JOB" while they were on the phone taking care of their side-owned business. so they got a 2nd. 'not their job either'. thanks to them, i was totally disabled... screamed at for being unable to continue, by the store manager. had to call my own ambulance... told i was faking. there's a couple of those receivers that have a day of reckoning, if i ever see them again. 'part of the family'... my azz.

November 20 2010 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I love Wegmans cafe.

November 20 2010 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie Gelfand

Wegmans is definitely one of Rochester's proudest creations, but with every big success, there are those who fell to the wayside. Back in the days when Wegmans was working to climb to the top here in Rochester, it battled with Star Market and won. Via triple couponing and other techniques, it contributed to Star's closing all its Rochester stores. Then it began opening up little one-stop shopping departments such as a video department to compete with small video stores (in the days before Blockbuster). They tried a fabric department for a while, but I guess that didn't work for them.

While they are very conscious of putting out good products, the bottom line is paramount. They have closed down all but one of their small city markets, leaving no downtown stores or stores in lower income areas, so people in those areas don't have easy access to grocery shopping, except for "convenience" stores.

I love Wegmans. I still shop there. But here in Rochester, we also have Abundance Food Coop, a truly community oriented store with member/shareholders. They have managed to hold their own, and are my first stop for all my grocery needs because they truly care about the health and well being of our community. Between there and Wegmans, we definitely do have the best of all worlds.

November 20 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply