July 30, 2014

Joe Scarborough Suspended By MSNBC For Making Political Donations

by Jeremy Taylor, posted Nov 19th 2010 5:10PM
MSNBC is suspending 'Morning Joe' host Joe Scarborough without pay for two days for making eight unreported campaign contributions of $500 each to Republican candidates running for local office in Florida.

Earlier this month, fellow MSNBC host Keith Olbermann was also suspended two days under similar circumstances, except that his contributions went to Democratic Party candidates. Just like in the case of Olbermann, Politico uncovered the donations using a fairly simple database search.

"This morning Joe Scarborough informed me that he made eight contributions of $500 each to local candidates in Florida between 2004-08," read a statement from MSNBC President Phil Griffin. "In my conversation with Joe two weeks ago (in the wake of Olbermann's suspension) he did not recall these contributions. Since he did not seek or receive prior approval for these contributions, Joe understands that I will be suspending him for violating our policy."

Scarborough has issued as statement of apology: "I recognize that I have a responsibility to honor the guidelines and conditions of my employment, and I regret that I failed to do so in this matter. I apologize to MSNBC and to anyone who has been negatively affected by my actions."

The former GOP congressmen then pointed out that all of the contributions in question went to his brother and three long-time family friends -- all of whom were running for local offices in and around Scarborough's hometown of Pensacola, Fla.

"These contributions were nothing more than simple acts of friendship. I gained nothing personally, politically, or professionally from these donations," Scarborough argued, adding that because of the personal nature of the donations he didn't think he needed MSNBC approval.

If these are the extent of Scarborough's political givings, we would agree that they don't compromise in the slightest his position as a pundit who is open about his conservative-leanings.

Which is why it's so baffling that he didn't just own up to them two weeks ago. Scarborough might have still been suspended for violating company policy, but did he really think that the contributions, which are part of the public record, would never be uncovered? Say what you will about the ethics of MSNBC's corporate policy on political contributions, but Scarborough could have avoided this situation by just being honest. Like a lot of political scandals, it wasn't the crime, but the cover-up that landed Scarborough in hot water with his bosses.

ddepalma94

JS, needs to stop being a lobbist for republican party, maybe he should take his Russian wall flower, and go to siberia for a vacation.

February 08 2011 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLGreenlee

"This is surprising? MSNBC is the liberal left wingof the Democratic party!!!"

That's a bit of an overstatement. Giving a former Republican Congressman a three-hour show everyday doesn't sound like the action of a Democratic network. Would FOX "News" give Alan Grayson or Russ Feingold a three-hour show? Doubtful.

November 21 2010 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
notrigl

This is surprising? MSNBC is the liberal left wingof the Democratic party!!!

November 20 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

so, are they also penalized for voting without first informing MSNBC who they are voting for?

November 20 2010 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

This is complete crap. Why should Olbermann or Scarborough be suspended for doing what every other American citizen is allowed to do? Just because they work for a so-called news network they can't be like any other voter? Total BS. The idea that this somehow taints their reporting is garbage. First, neither Olbermann nor Scarborough are journalist. They people expressing an opinion. Even if you considered them journalists they shouldn't be penalized for engaging in rights as citizens. This is a lose-lose for MSNBC.

November 19 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jimmy_MO's comment
Kelly

In today's economic climate we all need to find ways to make our money go further. I know I was concerned about my Christmas shopping this year until I discovered an amazing penny auction site online HTtp://tinyurl.com/OnlineAuctionDeals  Penny auctions were new to me until a few weeks ago but now I am regularly saving hundreds of dollars on things like iPads, gift cards, cameras and smart phones. I even got a $200 Best Buy gift card there for $33.  I'm going to do all my Christmas shopping there and I will spend less and get more than ever befor

November 21 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply