September 21, 2014

Cookie Monster Want To Host 'Saturday Night Live'

by Ryan McKee, posted Nov 23rd 2010 5:30PM
Using the power of the Internet worked for fans of Betty White when they wanted her to host 'Saturday Night Live.' Can the same work for Cookie Monster?

'Sesame Street'
posted an 'SNL' audition reel for the gluttonous Muppet on their YouTube account. We're not sure if the children's show is serious about this viral campaign for Cookie Monster, which includes a Facebook page. But if they are successful, one of their most iconic characters would perform with the same people who railed against 'Sesame Street' for the Katy Perry debacle.

Chances are it's just a stunt. The producers probably want to seem hip again.

Whatever the reason, the video is adorably funny. It reminds you of all the reasons you loved Cookie Monster as a child. He clumsily appeals to the camera, wanting to be seen as more than a one-dimensional character. Then he takes you through an abridged version of what it'd be like if he hosted an episode of 'SNL.'

We have to admit, we laughed a few times out loud ... and not in an ironic way.

Cookies rule

Sorry cookie monster.

A cookie can't change its' chips.

You can only eat cookies.

July 25 2011 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leonard_mayer

I think cookie monster can represent the US and South Korea to help reduce the aggressive behavior of North Korea. If a video with a prepared script were sent to North Korea asking for cooperation rather than confrontation, then relations might improve. I regard the recent bombings as evidence of childish behavior.

November 27 2010 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

Cookie Monster has always been, and always will be
known for eating cookies. Even though he's been
eating fruits and vegetables lately, it always comes
back to chocolate chips, fudge, apple-walnut-raisin,
oatmeal, and maccaroons. In other words, Healthy
Food was a 90's hit, but "C Is For Cookie" and his
other forgotten song, "Please, Give Cookie To Me",
they best define the Cookie Monster we know and love.
In that clip, he actually sang this on top of a big
mountain full of cookies! "Me love cookiiiiiieeeeee,
Gimme' Cookiiiiiieeeeeeee! Yeah, if you love cookie
just as much as me, then please, give cookie to me!"
Is that clip even on YouTube or SesameStreet.org, yet?

November 23 2010 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skunkyDan

~ since SNL airs at 11:30 pm when the little kiddies are fast asleep , can someone at NBC sneak Cookie Monster some cOOkies please as he must be getting sick of all those damn vegetables and fruits the CTW on Sesame Street have been giving him .

November 23 2010 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

I think it would be wonderful if they got Frank Oz
to voice Cookie Monster again, especially for an
episode of his return to Saturday Night Live, quite
possibly along with the rest of the Sesame Street
gang, even though this seems like the longest of
longshots to happen after The Muppets did it in 1975.
David Rudman isn't bad as Cookie, but I prefer his
Baby Bear voice, and when he partnered with Emily
Rudman who did Goldilocks, and Mel, Mary & Jack on
the short lived Jack's Big Music Show, respectfully.

November 23 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Richard Ott's comment
Shaun

Agreed... As funny as this was, it's not the same without Frank Oz doing Cookie's voice. In fact, I think I do a better Cookie Monster, closer to Oz's, than whoever is doing the voice now.

Still, I'm all for Cookie hosting SNL. Why not? I remember Kermit hosting The Tonight Show many, many years ago. Back when I was in Sesame Street's target audience! I'm not sure how I managed to stay up to watch it, or why I was even allowed to watch it, but I did.

Besides, Cookie Monster's more funny than probably anyone in the current SNL cast.

November 24 2010 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply