October 25, 2014

On the 'DWTS' Scene: Who Will Triumph in the 'Dancing With the Stars' Finale'?

by Michael Maloney, posted Nov 23rd 2010 10:10AM

They still have a few more dances to complete before the season 11 mirrorball trophy is handed out on 'Dancing With the Stars,' but the three finalist pairs have performed their highly anticipated freestyle routines.

Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough paid homage in their freestyle to a song ('Do You Love Me?') from 'Dirty Dancing,' the classic film from 1987 which Grey starred in opposite the late Patrick Swayze.

Teen activist Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas danced to a tune ('Cell Block Tango') from 'Chicago,' while Kyle Massey and Lacey Schwimmer did a hip hop-inspired freestyle to the '69 Boyz' song 'Tootsee Roll.'

Grey and Hough's 'Dirty Dancing' gamble paid off; the couple earned a perfect score of 60 (read our final performance recap for full details). However, scores don't mean everything (or sometimes anything) as the low-scoring Palin, who's still in the competition, has proved.

Why does the teen activist think she deserves to win, despite her low scores all season? "Because we've been working our butts off!" she told TV Squad on the post-show press line.

Ballas remained more philosophical. "Everyone deserves to win," he said . "We'll all be supportive of the couple who takes it home."

The couple focused on their final dances -- not the media attention that's surrounded their being in the finals. When TV Squad told Palin that 'View' hosts Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg had a bet whether or not she'd win, Palin responded, "Joy is betting that [I'll win]? Great! I wasn't aware of that."

Before their performance, he showed Palin a clip from the film 'Chicago' on YouTube to prepare for the routine. "I think if we'd come out and done a hip-hop dance, it might not have gone well," Ballas said. "We've worked on bringing out Bristol's personality. I thought it'd be cool to do something [that would include] the tango and paso doble, which have been our strongest dances."

On the other side of the leaderboard, Grey and Hough were pleased with their perfect score. "I couldn't be happier with how our dances went, our scores and the judges' comments," Grey told TV Squad.

"Tonight, we did everything we possibly could," Hough said. "That's all I wanted. The rest is whatever happens happens."

Going into the final results show with a perfect score and legions of fans who love her from 'Dirty Dancing' might give Grey the edge, but the actress said she doesn't like to imagine winning.

"It's bad Juju to think about that," Grey cautioned.

While Palin might seem unstoppable and Grey has had the best scores, that mirrorball trophy could go to underdog Massey.

"This whole season we've had a blast," Schwimmer says. "Kyle and I have had no fights, no injuries, no drama. Kyle makes fun of me if I try to get too serious."

"The relationship that Lacey and I have established [during the course of this show] can take years to get going," Massey said. "We're not worried."

"We have a one in three shot of winning," Schwimmer said.

And if they do win, how will they celebrate their achievement? "It's so cliche," Massey said, "but we're going to Disneyland."

"It's been such a fun journey," Schwimmer added. "I'm sad it's ending. I won't miss all the rehearsals, but I'll miss hanging out with Kyle and performing."

Hough and Ballas each have won the mirrorball trophy twice. "It's time for a lady to take it," Schwimmer said. "One who hasn't won it before!"

N

Your would think this is a major world issue....who cares that much. We have lost a real sense of what is important in this world.

November 24 2010 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenn

The lines all came with deff recordings. My driend tried 4 kule & it actually got a womans ansering machined. I got a different type every tine I called Jens line. If they don't do a recount or revote there's a serious problem

November 23 2010 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

NOW ALL YOU HATERS CAN RELAX. THE WINNER WAS PREDICTED FROM DAY ONE AND I HOPE ALL OF YOU BRISTOL HATERS CAN NOW RELAX. WAS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO TALK SO UGLY ABOUT HER? THE WINNER WAS DETERMINED FROM DAY ONE AND ABC SURE KNEW HOW TO GET THE RATINGS UP. WHAT IS FAIR ABOUT A PROFESSIONAL DANCER WINNING AGAIN? SO SLEEP WELL

November 23 2010 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlie

Damn Liberals jammed up the phones, WAAAAAAAAA.Bunch of cry babies.

November 23 2010 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fsdeans@aol.com

Hallelujah! I was so happy with tonight's outcome. I don't have to boycott DWTS next season. The heartbreaking loser in this was Brandy. She deserved to be in the final 3. Then I would have been happy to see any one of them win. ABC went for the ratings, and in the end it may do them more harm than good. I too had trouble voting online but I was persistent for a good 20 minutes and got through with 5 votes ( None of which were for Palin!!)

November 23 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Why are you people concerned at all about who's going to win. It's a reality show. With a few rare exceptions, this isn't one, they're a HUGE waste of TV air time.

November 23 2010 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Rolfe

November 23 2010 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WANDA

better watch out you hateful liberals,looks like the rednecks still have a lot of pull to get as far as she did...

November 23 2010 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WANDA

bristol came in third

November 23 2010 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I guess the "haters" sent your as* packing, bristol. And for you tea baggers, you're gonna have a fight on your hands in 2012. Let's get one thing straight, YOU DON'T REPRESENT THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS!!! The one thing you have done is showed that if EVERYONE doesn't vote, the tea baggers will prevail whether it's a dance show, dog show or elections. As trivial as it may seem (a dance competetion) it has served to show us that we ALL must get out and vote in order to have a fair representation of what ALL Americans desire, not just a group of people wanting to push their own agendas.

November 23 2010 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply