September 1, 2014

Shake Up at 'Law & Order: SVU' as Showrunner Neal Baer Moves to CBS

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 24th 2010 7:30AM
Neal BaerAfter 11 years with the drama, it's been reported that showrunner Neal Baer is leaving 'Law & Order: SVU' at the end of this season.

According to Variety, Baer has been lured away from the NBC drama by rival network CBS, who offered him a lucrative three-year development and production deal. His move to CBS seems like a natural fit because he's had long working relationships with senior CBS executives Nina Tassler and David Stapf.

"After more than a decade on 'SVU' I felt it was time to take a breath and say 'What's next? And those people who were there for me at the very beginning said 'We're next,'" Baer said.

He added, "I've loved every moment of SVU, and I am deeply grateful to Dick Wolf for giving me the opportunity to work on a show of such depth and profundity."

A Harvard-educated pediatrician, Baer got his start in TV as a writer and producer on the John Wells-produced medical dramas 'China Beach' and 'ER.' He moved to 'Law & Order: SVU' after seven years on 'ER,' joining the series in its second season as executive producer and showrunner. CBS has been trying to develop a successful medical drama for years, and with his experience Baer seems like the perfect man to make it happen.

There's been no word yet on who will replace Baer at 'SVU.' The police procedural has suffered from falling ratings in recent years, with Season 11 sliding right out of the Top 40. The contracts of stars Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni are up at the end of this season and, although no one's mentioning the "C" word right now, coming after NBC canceled the mothership back in May, it's just possible that Baer's departure may be signal that the end is nigh for the drama.

Janet

I agree Durwood the old format is what kept them on top along with the great cast. Some TV Execs just can't leave well enough alone. I guess they have heard of the quote"If it ain't broke don't fix it".

July 01 2011 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ckowgirl

Stopped watching when it became liberal trash.

November 28 2010 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maxine

True, everything does come to an end, but I blame NBC for changing the time slot from 10pm to 9pm. Most of us have busy lives and 9pm is just too early to settle down and watch a gritty crime drama. I hope SVU can come back, but if not, it's been a great run.

November 28 2010 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Maxine's comment
Jim

Ever heard of something called a VCR or a DVR? Or DVD box sets of entire seasons?

November 28 2010 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan Halpin

It is about time, after cancelling the best of the L&O shows, this one should have been ther first to be retired.

November 28 2010 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARIE

I sure hope they are not going to cancel Law & Order,
that's one of the best police drama on television.
If you have to, move it to another slot, but KEEP IT ON!!!

November 28 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mica

ICE T needds that job!!

November 28 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn Pingon

My husband and I will both be very sorry to see the end of SVU. We are in our late 70's and love every minute of it. In fact reruns are broadcast in succession very often, and we tape them all to watch at a later date. At our age we often realize that we have seen them before, but most often we forget the endings. Mariska and Chris are fantastic actors!

November 28 2010 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LT

NBC has only two good things going for it; SVU and Jay Leno. If they cancel SVU, they'll be dumping half of what they have to offer, and SVU has always been good, I've watched it from the beginning.

November 28 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

I love the show and hope it stays on for a while longer. One of my favorite shows and the acting is always great and they always have wonderful guest stars who shine in their performances one being Ann Margaret whose performance I kept watching and she won an emmy for that performance. Keep going SVU.

November 28 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cliff

If it is not broke, don't fix it. When they canceled the regular Law and Order, and produced the new one, Law and Order LA, the new Law and Order LA is not as good as the old L & O. All these reality shows suck anyway.

November 28 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply