September 2, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Joel McHale Jabs Regis About His Age: 'On the Periodic Table of Television You Are Carbon' (VIDEO)

by Donald Deane, posted Nov 29th 2010 11:45AM
Showing absolutely no respect for his elders whatsoever, Joel McHale of 'Community' takes several potshots at Regis Philbin's age on 'Live With Regis and Kelly' (weekdays, syndicated).

First, McHale jokes that 79-year-old Philbin "knew the Wright brothers." Then, he segues into a story involving an old couple he traveled with on a flight, but starts to say they were nowhere near as old as Philbin himself.

But the final insult comes as McHale delivers a backhanded compliment on Philbin's long-running career. "You are the king of all television," he said. "Like, when radio started, you probably went on radio and ... you just started bursting into people's homes."

"That's the third one!" complained Philbin. "When does he stop?!"

Paul

If any of you think Regis found the jabs anything but funny, you're crazy.

Regis has always shown to have a great sense of humour. And he IS old! So what? I make the same kinds of jokes with my 39-year-old friend, because he's older than me and he can take a joke (as can Regis). I am the brunt of "old" jokes from people younger than me, too. So what??

Joel McHale is absolutely hilarious, and a class act to boot.

November 30 2010 at 4:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lois

Joel is very rude to make fun of a persons age, after all Regis has accomplished more than that mouthy squirt !!

November 29 2010 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jerome

You have to have the IQ of a fruit fly if you watch Regis & Kelly. This is complete garbage TV.

November 29 2010 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
geomcd

Poking jokes at age is really stupid. We all will be as old as Regis when we've lived that long and it doesn't take that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 29 2010 at 7:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cuca

Common people Joel McHale was kidding! I love Joel! but I also love Regis!

Have you ever watched The Soup on E? He is funny in Community also. :)

November 29 2010 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moveover

Anything to get a joke and attention. Nothing new on tv lately.

November 29 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lois

Regis is great and admired by many for his great performanes on TV. Age has nothing to do with it. I think McHale was very mean and rude to put him down like that and forece him into a rocking chair !! No class !! We'd love Regis even if he was 105 years old !! Age is as old as you think and as old as you feel. Clearly Regis is full of vigor and ha a love for life. He is admirable...Hope I am that alert and active when I am his age !! Great man ! McHale was rude,distructive and tasteless !

November 29 2010 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
durgasoft

The point is that the guy was right. I agree with him. Regis is so old that when he sees himself he does not recognize himself. He says the guy is Regis. He does not know that it is himself he is seeing.

November 29 2010 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john a toce sr

NOWAY .. WE LOVE THEM..

November 29 2010 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

Everybody better hope they look as good as Regis when they get 79.

November 29 2010 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply