July 30, 2014

'The Amazing Race' Season 17, Episode 10 Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Nov 29th 2010 6:00AM
Want some cheese with that whine, Nick?['The Amazing Race' - 'I Hate Chinese Food']

It's hard to believe that we're down to the final four on 'The Amazing Race.' While it seems like just a few weeks have gone by, already the teams ousted early are fading in my mind. Two all-female teams are still in contention for the big win and both of them are pretty dang tough, wouldn't you say?

Then there's Nick and Vicki. Despite tough appearances, they're not so tough. Well, at least Nick isn't. On the other hand, even though she lacks a lot of savvy, Vicki is one determined woman. But will it do her any good when she's saddled herself with Nick? Read on.

Heading into tonight's episode, two things were a bit predictable. Obviously there would be a bunching point causing the teams to even out time-wise once again. No way could the final four have one team (Jill and Thomas) with a humongous lead on the others. It would make the finale a bit anti-climatic. Remember Joe and Bill in the Season 1 finale? The other thing would be to make this the last non-elimination leg of the season. This usually takes place with the final four running for their lives, or for the million dollars, to be more accurate.

Apart from Nick and Vicki, the remaining teams are very strong. Jill and Thomas have proved that they might very well be unstoppable, but tha t doesn't make me like him any better though. Nat and Kat are not only an intelligent team, they're very willing to do whatever it takes. My current favorite team -- Brook and Claire -- are firecrackers! In tonight's episode they finally started snapping at each other. But neither did it with the kind of nastiness we see from Thomas and Nick.

After bunching up on a flight to Hong Kong, the leg was on. Vicki had trouble with her asthma while rushing at one point, so Nick lit into her. Now, this girl has taken on almost every tough challenge in the race while her Mr. Scruffy has berated her from the sidelines. Yes, her slowing down due to her asthma cost them a half-hour, but in no way did she almost cost them the entire race. That's all on Nick's shoulders.

The teams hit up the island of Cheung Chau seemingly just to collect a clue, then headed back to the city in search of a Chinese restaurant. (It must be hard to find one in Hong Kong, right?) At the restaurant, the Roadblock had more than a few thinking they were to participate in bad karaoke.

Nope! It turns out that food artists are a big thing in Hong Kong and, faced with a buffet of food items, the designated team member had to pick out the few fake foods from the gazillion real ones. They weren't allowed to merely poke, prod or stomp on the foods to test them -- they had to go by looks and tasting. Any foods selected had to be eaten. Oh my, no wonder both Claire and Vicki got sick! That's a lot of mixing, fishy stuff, tastes and ew-factor going on!

Jill/Thomas and Nat/Kat were already onto the next clue as Nick and Vicki arrived at the restaurant. Once again, we saw Vicki taking on a tough challenge while Nick guffawed from the sidelines about Claire being sick. He changed his tune when only Vicki remained still trying the foods and became sick. All of a sudden he was a quitter, while she wanted to push on and finish! She stuck to her guns and got it, no thanks to him at all.

The Detour had most of the teams automatically heading to deliver birds to boats in the dark of the night. Only Jill and Thomas took on the "Ding Ding" challenge and tried to spot clue signs from a double-decker bus. Sure, we saw "Pit Stop," "Square" and "Statue," but I think if we'd been on the bus looking for the signs, we'd have given up, too. I know I wouldn't have picked out anything except maybe the "Pit Stop" one. They switched to birds, also a very tough task.

However, all of the teams kept up at the birds challenge but one. Make that one member of one team. Yep, whiny Nick packed in his bags and quit! Can you believe this guy? Vicki kept at it for a long time, but without Nick's help and with his whining, she eventually quit as well. I couldn't blame her at that point. Perhaps she should have tossed him overboard!

Since it was a non-elimination leg, Nick and Vicki will face a 6-hour penalty for not completing the Detour, plus they'll get a Speed Bump on the next leg. I believe we can bid them adieu, good riddance to him! The other teams are all very much still in it and any one of them could win. I'd be thrilled with a Claire and Brook win, happy for a Nat and Kat win and begrudgingly admit that Jill and Thomas ran the race well. How about you?

'The Amazing Race' airs Sundays, 8PM ET on CBS.

Allison

Nick's anger and whining brought me right back to one of the first seasons with Zack and Flo (who ended up winning). He was Flo all over again!

November 30 2010 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

The actual name of the restaurant is the Majestic Seafood Restaurant, and it specializes in Dim Sum not sushi as some of the teams insisted on calling it. You can find a review if you Google it.

November 29 2010 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Vicki does all the challenges and then when she has an asthma attack he jumps all over her for it. I wish she would attack back and tell him to do the challenges he doesn't like, like anything with heights. He's such a loser and then he cries and says he's sorry. She should dump him.
I hope either the two doctors or Jill and Thomas win.

November 29 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Yeah, Vicki should definitely get rid of that douche as soon as possible. I hope she sees it in the show if she didn't realize it in person, but if that's the case they'll probably attribute it to what all reality asshats do, the edit.

As for the ding ding challenge, I think they would have had a better chance, but in that task they really were stupid. Note, if you will, what Thomas actually said... he was looking at buses and cars and other ding dings... ummmmmmm, those things all move and would be a production nightmare. I honestly don't think they were even really looking at the signs along the street... and once you saw the pit stop sign, all the other signs were in the same design. I really do think in the pitch black that this would've been easier... presuming you aren't stupid and looking at moving targets that are obviously not germane.

Lastly, a chinese restaurant... really? That was odd... I guess not any more odd than an eatery saying it specializes in classic american cuisine... but when the first two teams said that I turned to my nephew and asked, "wouldn't that just be a restaurant in Hong Kong?"

Anyway, were I Vicki I'm not sure I'd have accepted the non-elimination. I think I might have quit. Nick wanted to quit because he was tired, cranky, and clearly not bright enough to help his teammate... she should've quit for those same reasons... he was tired, cranky, and clearly not bright enough to help her... I'd have left his ass on the mat right then and there.

A few weeks ago, with relation to the Walking Dead, I got some guff for pointing out how stupid I think women who are in relationships with abusers and then defend those abusers when an external force threatens or hampers the abuser are... How a woman will clearly need help, someone helps, and then they turn on the helper to ingratiate themselves with their abuser again... I got a lot of heat for pointing out that reality and how it bugs me... and here is no different. Vicki should get out, but if she doesn't, even after seeing this, I can't feel bad for her, except in feeling bad about how stupid she is for sticking around... and before anyone jumps on me again, I understand the psychological issues of dependency and self-worth, but being beaten or constantly demeaned is not acceptable.

November 29 2010 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

You and I (and probably most people) agree, Ryan. All the contestants share the same conditions and getting tired or cranky is part of what we should expect. But his saying anything he can't do is "stupid" and just giving up is childish behavior and are his true colors. He angers me and it also ticks me off that she takes that abuse as though it's normal. He not only quit while she played on, he put her down for that, too. Now that is stupid!

November 29 2010 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Really hope Vicky realizes after this that being with Nick is not a good thing. Yes, I know that reality shows often drive people to do things they normally won't do because of stress, etc., but I feel we've seen Nick when he's on top and when he's not and he's pretty much a douchebag either way. Him giving up while Vicki continued on was just one of the most dispiriting I've seen on the race.

November 29 2010 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

I seriously hope parents are using Nick as an example of a loser guy for their teenagers. That is the only thing I think he's good for. Vicki is a good example of a rescuer and can be a lesson, too. I feel for her.

I wasn't expecting last night to be a non-elimination episode. I was disappointed to see that there are still four teams. I hope the first three teams last night are the first three teams again next week. All three have played well and have been fun to watch. I would love to see one of the all women teams win. That would be awesome. Of course, Nick would say it was stupid.

November 29 2010 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FailureAnalyst

Vicki has earned my enormous respect for her strength and tenacity. Too bad she is saddled with dead weight for a partner!

November 29 2010 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skunkyDan

maybe the producers wanted some excitement as to who comes in 4th and is eliminated so maybe the flight from Hong Kong to the North Korean border leaves 8 or 9 hours after the 3rd place Brook & Clair team arrives at the airport which would take care of BIG jerk Nick & Vicki's 6hr. penalty after they leave the pit stop and create another bunching up flight of course they would still have the speed bump to contend with but some teams have succeeded when they had to do a speed bump . It would be nice if Nick had to wait out the 6hours and Vicki could just go on ahead without him LOL

November 29 2010 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to skunkyDan's comment
Jackie Schnoop

She'd probably do better on her own. If Vicki had a real partner this season, she'd probably be contention for the win.

November 29 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply