December 19, 2014

Changes at CBS's 'The Early Show': Smith, Rodriguez, Price Out

by Jean Bentley, posted Nov 30th 2010 12:00PM
Harry Smith, Maggie Rodriguez and Dave PriceCBS's morning program, 'The Early Show,' is getting a major facelift in the new year.

According to an AP report that has since been confirmed by a CBS press release, anchor Harry Smith, anchor Maggie Rodriguez have gotten the boot in favor of new co-anchors Chris Wragge and Erica Hill. Weather forecaster Dave Price is also out, with former 'Good Morning America' weekend weather forecaster Marysol Castro taking his place.

Since Hill used to be the news reader on the show, 'Early Show' reporter and Saturday 'CBS Evening News' anchor Jeff Glor will take over the job. Hill and Wragge have previously worked together anchoring the show on Saturday mornings.

"We constantly focus on how to improve the broadcast, and we think we have a terrific combination in Erica, Chris, Jeff and Marysol," CBS News President Sean McManus said in the press release. "This new team brings vibrancy, intelligence and warmth that I think America will grow to love."

The new lineup will debut on Jan. 3, and the current lineup, including Smith and Rodriguez, will continue to work for CBS News in some capacity. The last major change to the third-place 'Early Show' -- behind NBC's 'Today' and ABC's 'Good Morning America' -- came in 2002.

Tell us: What do you think of the 'Early Show' changes? Will you miss the old anchors, or do you welcome some new (albeit familiar) faces?

patricia.courtney

I hate that you took Rodriguez and smith off. They were awesome together this new bunch gayle king and whoever the other two are makes me want to change stations. In fact I pay not attention. The old man is so boring.

patty

January 25 2012 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
valleylass

Well, I for one, like the new change. No screaming crowds shaking cardboard in my face, no high pitched squeaky female anchors who have to show a lot of leg to get ratings. Thank you for an intelligent morning show with news and no anchors screaming and interrupting their guests because its all about me!!!!, not you. When you have to be screamed at all day in the work world its a pleasure to wake up with a good cup of coffee and some good news for a change. (Now if you could just get rid of commercials)

January 17 2012 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wcobain

I liked Harry,Maggie and Dave---Not ven a big goodby party-

July 08 2011 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I HATE THE NEW LINEUP. Can we get Harry, Maggie & Dave back so I can go back to watching CBS instead
of NBC?

May 29 2011 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
luvthebeach

Well I switched to ABC! Erica Hill and Chris Wragge...really? CBS what were you thinking? They are nothing but a bunch of arogant yuppies. Bring back Harry, Maggie and Dave!!

April 14 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andersonevans61

The new team is ok,but it does not seem to have the same chemistry as the old team. The old team was informative and fun to watch. Perhaps your decision was more a finanical? Remember,you get what you pay for! I've switched channels.

April 12 2011 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
odie99

what was cbs thingking when they got rid of Harry, Maggie and Dave. I've given the new ones a try, but it just is not the same. So back to ABC.

April 07 2011 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flashcanwail

I cannot stomach Chris Wragge or Erica Hill !! Give us back our Harry , Maggie, & Dave !!! I gave the new line-up a shot...but CBS Early Morning Show with the new line-up isn't even worth tuning in to anymore.
Like the old adage goes... if it ain't broke don't fix it !!! So why would CBS choose to do this is beyond me.
Bad Choice CBS!!!!

April 04 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy Wiggens

I don't care for the new crew the are ok but the old crew made you seem more warm and at home I loved to Harry when the chef's came he made the food look so inviting. And Mary when she was pregnant she kept us all informed about the baby and when dave price would do his trips it was so much fun watching them they made you feel at home I would rush hme every morning from work so I could cstch the beginning of the show so I wouldn't miss anything I can't believe that NBC gave them the booth next time take a survey and see what the we the consumer like and who we like you just might be surprised.

April 04 2011 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
naynay8767

Is CBS CRAZY?The ONLY reason I tuned in was for Harry. He brought such warmth to my morning. The new anchors are stiff and BORING!!! Not to mention how wonderful Dave was. SHAME ON YOU CBS!!!!!!

March 28 2011 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply