August 20, 2014

'Glee' Characters to Graduate in 2012

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 1st 2010 1:00PM
GleeIt was bound to happen eventually, Gleeks.

'Glee' creator Ryan Murphy has announced the graduation date for some of the high school characters on the Fox hit. In 2012, prepare to say goodbye to some beloved members of New Directions.

We can see it now: the cast swaying on stage, belting out Vitamin C's quintessential hit 'Graduation (Friends Forever),' tears running down faces -- both theirs and ours.

"Every year we're going to populate a new group," Murphy told News.Com.Au. "There's nothing more depressing than a high schooler with a bald spot."

For those who got character fatigue from all the new faces this season, prepare for the same thing to happen next year. Murphy plans on introducing new members to the already-bloated cast and gradually phase out the older characters. While hesitant to have characters move on, Murphy said he's pleased with the new characters, like Chord Overstreet's Sam Evans, the show has introduced.

"I think if you can keep regenerating -- and I didn't think we could -- I didn't know if people would want those characters, but they do."

With how often the series asks viewers to suspend their disbelief, it's nice to see Murphy acknowledge the fact that he can't keep kids in high school forever. "I think you have to be true to the fact that here is a group of people who come and go in these teachers' lives -- they graduate and they're gone," Murphy said.

Theoretically, 'Glee' can go on forever, and given how much buzz and money it has generated for Fox, the network probably wants it to. However, the spark of the series is the dynamic between the current characters, something that can't be replicated -- at least not well. It wouldn't be the same to have 2.0 versions of Rachel, Kurt and all the other characters.

What do you think of a 'Glee' with a new cast?
I'll give it a try.376 (19.6%)
It won't be the same.791 (41.1%)
If they have talent, I'm in.680 (35.4%)
Can't wait!76 (4.0%)

Erin

I truly can't imagine glee without its current cast. I was thinking about this when I first read the news about it all and can't think of one member that id be willing to do without. They have such great chemistry with each other and while I know there are other great performers out there, I honestly don't see an entire group doing as well together as they have. Most new series crash and burn and these kids had no idea how huge glee would be but they took a chance and for many, this was their big break. They've risen together and clearly have a close bond off camera from all I've seen and read. Who knows if a new cast will be as passionate about or as dedicated to their roles, knowing that they're coming into it being a hit show already.

Plus, the cast changes they've made so far (coach tanaka and matt come to mind) weren't characters people have formed a bond with. I've honestly never been the type to get super attached to a show but I LOVE glee and it's 100% because of the cast. The writers are wonderful too but I can't see those lines being delivered better by any other group. The only right choice in my mind is to carry a school year over more than one season and end it on a high note with the current cast intact. As someone has said, it's in their interest to keep them as long as they can. How much older, honestly, will they look only a couple years down the road? They all look way young for their ages anyway. Either way, once naya, heather, and/or amber go, I'm jumping ship. I've never been more in love with actors or actresses and their characters in my entire life.

March 14 2011 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
roses10

Isn't the producer's motives for television based on the number of ratings each week? So, if they took out all the actors and actresses that we've developed a bond with, wouldn't viewers be less inclined to tune in if their favorite character was out? I mean I know that high school is high school, and everyone (well mostly everyone) graduates, for the sake of ratings in their terms, wouldn't keeping them a little bit longer help them? Glee's grown into so much, more than anyone had anticipated, and to throw it out the door and have a new group of kids casted in the shadows of these characters make for lower ratings? Bringing in new kids to take the places of Kurt, Rachel, Finn, Quinn, Santana, Brittany, Puck, Artie, Mike, Mercedes, and Tina seems like a bad decision. It screams sloppy sequel...like any other sequel that's been made, it's never as good as the original.

February 18 2011 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J

Maybe Ryan Murphy should spin off some of the characters with their own shows - Rachel trying to make it on Broadway, Quinn going to college (possibly law school), etc. This way, we get fresh faces at McKinley High and still follow some of our favorite current characters.

December 05 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nette

This is what I have been suggesting all season. With so much new talent out there, there should be a rotating door with a two season maximun. The students are starting to look like housewives. I also suggest that they spread the focus around more instead of honing in on one actress..... There are plenty plenty undiscovered but very talented people out there yet to be discovered. By doing this, it will keep the show fresh & interesting...... I hope they push the graduation up to 2011 and please let Rachel, Quinn, Santanna, Puck & Finn be the first to graduate.

December 03 2010 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nette

December 03 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

Wasn't this the original plan for Heroes, that new characters (and talents) would be brought in each season, with older ones fading away or having more minor roles? Then they ditched that and kept driving the same bunch of characters into new and uninspiring stories. Hopefully Glee can avoid a similar lifecycle.

December 03 2010 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
roadrunner

Umm... if we're supposed to keep tuning in, they better come up with characters WAY better than Sam or make the teachers a hell of a lot more interesting. Sue aside, the meat of the show are those kids.

December 03 2010 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karlos

"All the new faces"? "Character fatigue"? As far as I can tell, the only new regular club kid this year is Chord Overstreet. Plus Coach Beiste, but she replaced Tanaka, so the amount of screen time is about the same.
The amount of guest spots have been about the same as last season, maybe even less, since they've been trying to give more screen time to the more fringe club kids. I get the fatigue thing if it is from the show stretching to give equal time to all its characters, but bar two (three if you count John Stamos), none of them are new.

December 02 2010 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I'm not sure what grade these kids are supposed to be. Kurt owns a car (and presumably drives it), and we've seen Finn driving (with his mom), so they'd appear to be at least sophomores in Season 1. Actually, none of the kids appeared to be freshmen (in Season 1) so theoretically, many of them should be graduating next year?

I don't think I'd want a new cast - and honestly, I don't see this show going on for many more seasons (more than 3 seasons). We're only in season 2 and it's already getting predictable.

December 01 2010 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CC's comment
Curtis Gibby

I've been thinking the same thing -- these kids should be seniors by now. In season one (during the last school year), Finn was the star quarterback on the football team, and Quinn was the head cheerleader. I'd say it's rare for a JUNIOR to fill either of those roles, but we could let that slide. But to suppose that Finn or Quinn were sophomores or freshmen last year is just silly.

December 02 2010 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

One person I hope never graduates is Brittany. I hope this doesn't mean a huge exodus for the entire cast in 2012, I'd like some of the originals to stick around. Otherwise that might be disastrous for the show if they try the Skins approach. I'm sure the kids are not all in the same grade level.

December 01 2010 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply