April 24, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Survivor: Nicaragua' -- Quitters Never Prosper (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 2nd 2010 12:30AM
'Survivor: Nicaragua' -- Quitters Never ProsperOnly four players have quit 'Survivor' during the show's decade-long run. There's a reason for this: Quitters never prosper. The longer you stay on the show, the more money you get. On tonight's 'Survivor: Nicaragua' (Wed., 8PM ET on NBC), two players were tempted to leave anyway. Would they stay or would they go?

A torrential rainstorm hit the Libertad camp, which was still recovering from last week's fire. The rain washed away part of the beach -- and for two contestants, it also swept away their will to continue. NaOnka has nervous breakdowns every time it rains; now, she was joined by Kelly Shinn -- known as "Purple Kelly" for the dyed-purple tips of her hair.

Following this week's challenge, NaOnka and Kelly announced that they wanted to go home. Host Jeff Probst was clearly irritated, but tried to give the pair a pep-talk. He told the women that they had lasted for 28 days -- and only had to survive for 11 more. Jeff refused to accept their resignation. Instead, he asked them to spend the day thinking about it, then make their choice at that evening's tribal council. Next, he gave NaOnka a shot at redemption.

NaOnka was on the winning team for the challenge -- meaning that she got a movie-themed feast of hot dogs and popcorn. Probst pointedly mentioned that if any winning player gave up their prize, the entire losing team would get food and shelter. Since NaOnka was leaving anyway, it would have been easy for her to volunteer. But she stayed silent -- forcing Holly to give up her prize instead.

At tribal council, nothing had changed. NaOnka and Kelly wanted to quit -- and so quit they did. Probst didn't try to hide his disgust and he didn't make any fancy speeches this time around. "You wanna go? Go," he told NaOnka. "Head out," he told Kelly. Their torches were extinguished. For the first time ever, two players left 'Survivor' at the same time. Only seven contestants remain; only 11 days to go. But those were obviously 11 days too many for NaOnka and Kelly.

Dean

To those who dislike the show: Years ago, when first watching, I thought it was physical survival. That changed fast, as social complications, and the shows need for conflict made it successful came to the forefront. The social implications are still fascinating.
This current cast of characters is nothing special, with the exception of Nay. Yes, most of things that have been noted on this page are true. She made a huge error in quitting, but she will always be one of the most despicable characters to ever play the game.

December 02 2010 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zipwin

I agree that quitters should not be allowed to sit on the jury and should never be invited back.

December 02 2010 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dsn9

I don't think these two women should be a part of the jury, all they need to do is shove them out the door
and bring in two other people who where voted off. I never watch the whole program so I can't judge these two contestants. That being said, NaOnka's attitude was completely her, I don't think she just up and quit
because she got bored, she could tell her body was giving out and Kelly felt the same way, so they should be let go, it probably took a lot to stand up and quit, especially on prime TV.

The person running the show should have given that tribe the things they lost in the fire.

This show and the Amazing Race are getting bizzare.

December 02 2010 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CF Barber

The quitters will not be remembered. There was someone quit in one of the previous shows and I cannot even remember the circumstances or why they quit in the first place. These people just don't have what it takes to complete a commitment. NaOnka is just loud and overbearing. She did not exhibit the qualities of someone who has strength of character and has intergrity. I wouldn't want her to teach my children anything. I can't beleive she has the hubris to state she could be the winner of "Suvivor". I quess we will never know because SHE QUIT! In the future, I hope quitters will not be allowed to participate on the jury. They should be sent home. Lastly, I choose to watch "Suvivor". I find it entertaining. When I no longer feel that way, then I will choose not to watch.

December 02 2010 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

Okay people get over your selves. I am not of "black persuasion" always someone bringing in the race card. I did not like Nay ever since she made the comment about the girl with one leg. No one is forcing you to Watch 'Survivor" I personally enjoy it. Watched it every season and I am white and in my 60's. Every season there is always someone who pisses the rest of them off. It is what makes it entertaining to watch how they manipulate each other to win. If you can do any better then you people apply, get on and see how long you can last. if not then shut up and quit watching. I agree I would not want Nay (God forbid she displays her nasty attitude in front of the children) watching any child. Yet again she maybe a terrific teacher and being in the elements out there I think it would mess with ones mind. Many have said they watch it on tele but never imagined it was as bad as it really is. I hope " Survivor continues for years to come it is entertaining. It is a show I CHOOSE to watch just like you judgmental people do.

Like I said you don't have to watch it so you must be enjoying it to know so much about it. However I do agree the quitters should be off totally no money no being on the jury off, sayonara, bye adios GO

December 02 2010 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
basketpam

I've never understood why anyone would do something like this to begin with. I wouldn't spend 28 hours on a survivor trip like this let alone 28 days. This just goes to show you how stupid the influence of money can be. None of these people would be doing this except for getting money and for potential fame. Both are very corruptive. Reality shows like this do NO good for society. They don't help any individual out there except to make some producer rich. I would say these two made the smart choice. Why waste your days doing idiotic useless things.

December 02 2010 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

Does anyone know what is going to happends now that these two people have quit? By quitting these people have moved up the game time table a week, I would think this would throw the game off some how.

December 02 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

No jury, no future, no dignity...Quitters are a growing part of our society these days and it seems as if it is almost acceptable with the younger generation...Let's here from you young people out there!!! Quitting is not failure, it is a give up attitude. As for Nay teaching children, glad she is is in Cali and not in my neighborhood. The educational powers that be may have something to say to her after seeing who she really is, I know that the parents of kids in her class will!! I have watched Survivor since the beggining and do not think that anyone has ever been as bad as her. There is absolutely not ONE thing good about her. She is all that is wrong with today's society and appareantly that is the way she wants it... Good luck in life Gurl friend...Luck is all that you have!

December 02 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steph

I like Jeff Probst, but I really wish Survivor would take a hike. It's gone down the toilet ever since the first show, and frankly, I find The Amazing Race more exciting and stimulating.

December 02 2010 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angieb

Will these two be on the final show when the annoucement is made as to who will win the money? They should not be permitted to. I also agree they should not be a part of the jury either. Calling them names is really a waste of time, I don't judge either one of the young people they just didn't make it to the end. I am sure we all know someone who has given up rather we like or dislike them or agree with them.

December 02 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply