October 21, 2014

'Bones' Season 6, Episode 8 Recap

by Rich Keller, posted Dec 3rd 2010 10:30AM
Bones['Bones' - 'The Twisted Bones in the Melted Truck']

Here's the plan: my house is currently packed up in boxes as we get ready for a move to Colorado in a few days. Needless to say, time is limited to espouse on Temperance's new hair style or Booth's interest in thin ties. So, to keep it fairly short, I'm going to throw out a few topics on this week's episode of 'Bones' that you can discuss in the comments. In addition, if you have topics you want to discuss, please do so. Just keep it on topic and avoid the nastiness and flaming.

Don't worry, we'll return to the normal 'Bones' review next week. (Just as long as I can find my computer.)

1. The Sweets and Daisy Show:
Forget Bones and Booth or Booth and Hannah -- Sweets and Daisy are now the power couple on 'Bones!' It's almost like the producers are preparing them for more exposure on the show, what with Daisy's new unsupervised-FBI status at the lab and Lance's more prominent role as an interrogator. In fact, Sweets had more time in the interrogation room in this episode then Booth did and he was just as good or even better job at getting to the truth of everything.

There are probably fans of the show who are decrying the use of the doctor and the Squintern as similar to the increased use of Agnes Dipesto and Bert Viola on 'Moonlighting' when the David-Addy romance began to fizzle out. This would not be the case, however. The solo Bert and Agnes episodes were downright dull. Sweets and Daisy could probably carry an episode and still make it interesting.

2. Hannah and Booth: Time to end this relationship now! We all know it's doomed anyway from Seeley's reaction to Sweet's questions about Hannah meeting Parker. Whenever someone emphatically says 'You don't think we're serious? We ARE serious!' that's a definite sign that even the person who said it has his doubts.

Even Parker isn't positive about his father's relationship . Sure, Hannah took him to the zoo and for some ice cream, but he has yet to say she's cool. On the other hand, he definitely thinks Temperance is ultra-cool because she knows what type of animal farts the most. When your son is just okay with the person you are sleeping with that's a problem.

In addition to all of this, the Hannah-Booth relationship is really starting to hit Temperance hard. There were some signs throughout the season that Bones was uncomfortable about the whole thing. Now that Hannah has met Parker and the relationship is moving into a new stage, she's coming to the realization that she made a grave mistake pushing Seeley away last season. The decision now is to either let Booth go or try to get him back.

3. This Week's Mystery: Another typical procedural mystery that had a bit of a twist to it. At first, who killed the motorcycle repairman was unknown. Until we found out that his wife was being extorted out of money by one of her students who discovered her and a student in an uncompromising position . Then it all came together -- it was the girlfriend of the boy who was having the illicit affair. Unfortunately, that realization came about 30 minutes before the show ended, which meant we had to slog through the rest of the interrogations.

4. Angela -- Though she was barely in this week's show, Angela gets a mention because of her use of a 16th century scientist's theory of applying numerical equations to the human skeleton. We all knew she was smart, but this was Temperance smart!

That's it. Please discuss these topics amongst yourselves.

'Bones' airs Thursdays, 8PM ET on FOX.

Anna

I must agree with all comments about Hannah! I can't stand her & she definitely doesn't have Booth/Brennan chemistry. I know where the writers are going with it but I think they're overselling it. Have Hannah leave & choose the job over Booth then Bones can comfort him in her adorable awkward way!

Bring Wendell back more! Makes me miss Zack less because he's wicked smart & Hodgins guy friend! Two birds, one stone...oh, he's also funnier & much easier on the eyes.

January 02 2011 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eydie

i don't mind jumping on the "i hate hannah" bandwagon. i can't even stand the sound of her voice. booth belongs with bones and hannah needs to get lost already. i feel as though this show is getting hijacked. if it's not that odious hannah, it's sweets and daisy. i don't care about any of that, i just want that sexy chemistry bones and booth had back. the show should be about them and the cases, everything else and everyONE else should be mere window dressing. the show is called BONES, not daisy, or sweets or god help us, hannah.

December 09 2010 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eve

I love Sweets and am all about him getting a larger role in the show. And I think he and Daisy are adorable together.

(Though I STILL want Zack back, dang it!)

Though I am getting a little worn out of the constant emphasis on Booth/Brennan (I think I really preferred it back when they were mainly partners with the lurking potential for more, rather than having their non-couple status be a major focus of every episode) - I like the Hannah plot. It was clear from the get-go that she was just a means for the writers to force our leads to get their act together, but I find Hannah very appealing, and I have to give the writers credit for not taking the obvious paths of having her be mean to Bones or incompatible with Parker. The fact that she and Booth are doing well together, that she's friends with Brennan and is bonding with Parker, that all makes the situation much stickier and less clearcut. Bravo!

@Georgia ~ I sometimes have that reaction to Angela's facility with computer programming and stuff that seems more mathematics than art. On the other hand, much of her is digital reconstruction based on bone structure and bone markers. I can see her spending a lot of time the last several years hanging out in forums and reading websites and tutorials. Maybe at one point she saved a PDF of an article about using 16th-century mathematical formulas to reconstruct mangled skeletons, and this week she was all, "YES! I can finally use that trick!" ^_~

December 03 2010 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eve's comment
Merve

If I recall correctly, in last season's Gravedigger trial episode, it was revealed that Angela minored in computer science in university. It's not a very good explanation for how she became so adept at her job, but at least it's some sort of explanation.

December 04 2010 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I was not thrilled about Daisy's new status. I could tolerate her being in the rotation, but if she's about to become a permanent heir to Zack's position, I don't know if I can take it. At first, she was kind of fun, but now I just find her extremely annoying. I'd prefer just about any of the other rotating interns to her as a regular.

December 03 2010 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Leroy's comment
Joan Wells

I agree on the Daisy character. She doesn't add much. Can we have a new Zak?

I have read all of Cathy's books and Temperance is not working any more. She is being made to look like a dork . . . she is a strong, smart woman in the books. Her character needs to be reviewed and strenghthened. Her own social life is included but it is never the focus of the story. The "funny jokes" like the snow are painful.

December 04 2010 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

When I saw the clip for Bones next week, where Temp says she missed her chance and starts sobbing, it broke my heart. It's probably not even about her and Booth - just one of those ploys to suck us in. Cause Booth's facial response was not on the same level of Temp's emotion.

Love Sweets - can't stand Daisy.

When we "met" Angela, wasn't she a hippie artist that had become casual friends with Temp? I've been having trouble with Angela's smarts for a while now. Last night was the ultimate - what??? How would Angela know something like that to be able to spout it out like it's normal conversation for her?

December 03 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Georgia's comment
Jessica

About Angela - she's always been smart. Back in Season 1 I recall Booth saying something to the effect of "you look like one of us, but you're really one of them, aren't you?" I choose the opinion that she used to be reluctant to show how smart she was, and has become more comfortable with that aspect of herself over years of working with people who value intelligence. I am on again, off again with Daisy, and I do hope they keep rotating interns because they are all delightful. And I am actually thrilled that they are finally letting Brennan acknowledge what everyone else knows. It will be sticky and will probably annoy some fans, but I'm happier that they are keeping the story moving. I much prefer this to the cheap 'dream' type tricks Hart has pulled in the past.

December 08 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hartbroknagn

I don't like to jump on the "I hate Hannah" bandwagon but did anyone else notice that she had more chemistry with Parker than anyone else?

December 03 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

my biggest issue with this episode was the fact that the magnesium that started the fire because of a light rain and the heat from the sun was scrap from producing motorcycle wheels.

these must be some seriously dangerous motorcycles, any inclement weather and heat from the brakes and you burst into flames?

December 03 2010 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply