August 31, 2014

Dave Price: 'The Early Show' Dismissal Is 'Part of the Business'

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 3rd 2010 11:00AM
Dave PriceGetting fired from a job is never easy, but what's worse is getting fired and gaining national attention for it. Just ask CBS 'Early Show' weatherman Dave Price.

Earlier this week, Price, along with Maggie Rodriguez and Harry Smith, were let go from the CBS morning talk show and will be replaced with their weekend counterparts.

"Any time you get news like this it's jarring. It's part of the business. It's a cruel business," Price told the Hollywood Reporter. "But we love it anyway. And so its throws you back a bit, maybe even more than a bit."

The network said it will offer Price another position with CBS News, but Price is hesitant. "I'm going to see if any of [those proposals] are right for me," he said. "If they're not, I'll make a graceful exit."

Price said fans have been lamenting his dismissal, even giving him gifts on the street. "I've had several free lunches over the last two days and I got a donut from a street vendor for nothing," he said. "Now that I'm leaving the outpouring of kindness is heartwarming."

Still, Price said the dismissal was a surprise and hard to digest. He has been with CBS News since 2003 after a stint at New York affiliate WCBS. "I had just come back from a seven-day trip from Alaska for a week-long sweeps piece," he said. "But I don't know many people who lose their job who aren't surprised by it. So I don't think that's extraordinary. But yeah, it's jolting."

baertschi360

I wont be watching channel 5 news any more since Dave is gone. I HATE that Kelly guy, he is obnoxious and I cant stand looking at his ugly face,

January 27 2013 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jvanvlack

Thay ought to get rid of Katie Coric. All that money and she has worse ratings than ever. Serves them right after letting Dave and Harry go. Its a shame that Harry has to work only once in a while. Great play CBS. Also what happened to the anchor Kate Sullivan. I loved her.

March 28 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ajzarr

I no longer watch show without Dave, Harry and Maggie. No one could make me laugh like Dave and his weather reports were on-track. He had a way with the audience and would do anything--traveling all the time and doing goofy stunts. Harry was at ease and was excellent at interviewing high-profile people. He was creditable. Along with Maggie, Dave and Harry brought warmth to the program. I now watch another show 90% of the time and only watch the CBS show when someone else in the house just turns on TV in a.m. And, what I've seen sure is not impressive. Who cares who can cook the best. I'd rather see Harry with a chef cooking. CBS, bring them back and maybe I'll watch again. If not, I'll stay with the Today show which has some of the warmth that was on your show previously. Does anyone know what happened to Dave and Maggie? I know Harry is suppose to be a fill-in. Another factor, now watching another station, I've learned of many new programs to watch, so now I turn to CBS less for my evening news and shows.

February 09 2011 at 9:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dewrg7

Obviously they didn't get the viewers opinions. The show is not the same and won't ever be again. Guess the other morning shows ratings will jump even higher now and serves CBS right. Based on other viewers comments guess we are all watching another morning show......

February 02 2011 at 11:15 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
kleeville

I will say also that Chris needs to take a closer look at being able to interview!!! BAD~~~

January 22 2011 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kleeville

WOW!!! I had not heard they were let go. I watch it faithfuly, must have missed a day. What a loss!!! It is not near as entertaning to watch. The replacements are not watchable - for sure.

I now just turn on my local news. Miss all three of them very much!!!

January 22 2011 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoelH

I no longer watch CBS in the morning. Getting rid of Harry, Maggie and Dave was a huge mistake!!

January 19 2011 at 9:57 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Sandi

Wow...another oops by julie......WAKE UP .....The THREE reasons most people watched CBS early morning was for Harry,Dave and Maggie. Big loss for CBS!!!!!!!. NBC looking better all the time. Julie rules again. That stinks.

January 14 2011 at 9:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Gina Price-Ortmeier

I loved Dave and I hope they (CBS) grow a brain and bring him back!

January 13 2011 at 10:21 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
flynwranch

The show just isn't the same without Dave Price. He started off the mornings in a uplifting way with his humour and great personality. I don't get near as much out of the weather as I did and will be changing over to the Today Show now. I do like Erica Hill and Jeff but not enough to stay with The Early Show. I hope their ratings plummet and crash.... it's what they deserve for the changes they've made. Good luck to all that were replaced... especiall Dave!!! Next time why don't they listen to the voices of their viewers before making such drastic changes.

January 13 2011 at 10:42 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply