December 18, 2014

'Grey's Anatomy' Season 7, Episode 10 Recap (VIDEO)

by Michael Pascua, posted Dec 3rd 2010 6:00AM

Cristina attempts fishing.['Grey's Anatomy' - 'Adrift and at Peace']

In an episode that just happened to have Christmas music playing in the background, Derek took Cristina fishing, Meredith and Owen argued, Bailey was still on a search for a solution to fistulas, Callie gained a backbone, and Teddy was given a re-hashed storyline.

This episode of 'Grey's Anatomy' really had nothing to do with Christmas, except for the occasional decor in the hospital. Instead, this episode chugged along with several of the plotlines we've been following this season, without any resolutions in sight.

It was interesting seeing Jamie Chung ('Dragonball Evolution') as one of the patients this week, because I still remember her from when she was on 'The Real World: San Diego.' I know that her part was small and a bit forgettable, but she did show some decent acting chops, so maybe she'll prove more interesting in 'The Hangover Part II.'

The most enjoyable part of the episode was the interaction between Derek and Cristina on their fishing trip. Not enough time was spent on the whole sequence of events. Sandra Oh really put her acting chops out there when she went from the comedic (well-informed via the internet) to the emotional (the tears as she held her prize fish). It's a bit odd thinking that the Derek/Meredith relationship revolves around Cristina and even in the bedroom all they talk about is Cristina.

Owen continues to rub me up the wrong way, especially how he always refers to Cristina as "my wife," making her seem like less of a person and more of a possession. His arguments with Meredith don't seem to stem from the PTSD that Cristina has, but more from the fact Owen is jealous of Meredith's concern, as if he as the husband should know better than the best friend. The largest plot-hole is the fact that Meredith has known Cristina longer, but the writers make it seem like Owen was around before Season 5.

My main issue with Owen's argument that Meredith was "fearless" was the fact that she stood up to the gunman to protect both the man she loved and her closest friend. If the situation was reversed and Cristina was about to be shot in front of Owen, you know that she would have protected Cristina to the end, thus making his argument moot.

I'm not ready for another Denny/Izzie redux with Teddy. Especially because I am not as invested in Teddy as a character as I was with Izzie. Is Teddy so desperate for a man that she'll take on a dying person just so that he could have her health insurance? I understand that writers want to place everyone in relationships, but this is putting it too far for Teddy. At this point, I would have believed a plotline where Callie ends up with Teddy instead of Arizona because of how far-fetched everything has been.

As for the small moments, I loved Bailey's fistula excitement. The little spin as she closed the door when she intruded on the Teddy/Chief meeting was priceless. The relationship between Mark and Lexie has become blah to me. Callie is always amazing in my mind. Finally, I really hoped that as a child April was kicked by that pony she got.

Are you primed for more episodes in January? Leave your comments below.

'Grey's Anatomy' airs Thursdays, 9PM ET on ABC.

Shay

With all due respect, hjhain, if you dislike Grey's Anatomy so much, why waste your time posting on a recap based solely on an episode of the show? That being said, I completely agree with Krystal. Anyway, I absolutely love Grey's Anatomy and I can't wait for what is to come next. =]

December 19 2010 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hjhain

Is this still on? you have to be kidding! id rather watch re runs of "as the world turns"
greys has to be the worse tv show in history to make it this far. Meredith Grey who ive heard is emma stones mother or grandmother are two of the most sickening actors to listen too. i think they spit when they speak. YUK

December 07 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krystal

Owen was a tool in this episode! He told Meredith she was reckless for telling the shooter to shoot her. Wouldn't he have done the same thing for Cristina?? Wasn't he the one who ran into a building were there was a shooter?

Owen always says stupid things but this one just pissed me off.

December 05 2010 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GeneralRapunzel

Actually Meredith irked me more than anyone. Owen is right that Meredith and Christina are different. Meredith is fearless to the point of idiocy at times, but Christina needed time away from the hospital. That's actually natural. But instead, she stayed in the hospital environment first of her own volition and then because everyone forced her to do so. Christina has to heal in her own way and time, or else she'll completely lose it again in the future. Meredith should know that, but is acting as if the only way Christina will heal is the way she did. That's selfish and coming from a surgical resident, stupid.

Finally, Meredith disobeying the attending in his OR? In many hospitals, she would have faced disciplinary action. I'm not saying she'd be expelled from the program, but there would be repercussions. Sure she's a gifted surgeon, but the point is - Owen knows more. If she didn't dislike him so much, she might not have pushed it so far.

And I agree with Xina about the "my wife" comment.

December 05 2010 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

Just a little sticking point for me, as I happen to love Owen and the actor that plays him, but anyways....When Owen was talking to the nurse that came into the operating room, and said, "nothing from my wife?" he probably did that because the nurse isn't friends with Christina. You wouldn't use a first name with someone that is not familiar with the person you are asking after. Just had to throw that out there...

December 03 2010 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Summer

Interestingly, while Owen was a rather late relative addition in our time, in the timeline of the show, the gap bewteen when Meredith and Christina met and when Christina and Owen met isn't as great, as the timeframe of the show has sped up considerably The timeline(with respect to the original class of interns):

Seasons 1-3: Internship (=1st year of residency)
Seasons 4-5: 2nd year of residency
Season 6: 3rd year of residency
Season 7: 4th year of residency

So, Christina and Meredith only knew each other 1.5 years before Owen entered the picture, and Christina and Owen have known each other around 2 years. Meredith may know her better, but a lot of people may be overestimating the actual length of their friendship due to the wonky timeline.

Of course, who knows if Shonda is actually being that deliberate about any of this.

December 03 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply