April 23, 2014

ABC Drops Remaining Episodes of 'The Whole Truth' From Schedule

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 6th 2010 5:45PM
Rob Morrow, Maura TierneyFor those fans (yours included) wishing to spend a long, cold December with Maura Tierney and Rob Morrow, ABC has other plans for you: The network has pulled 'The Whole Truth' from its December schedule, replacing the canceled legal drama with comedy reruns.

According to The Live Feed, episodes of 'Modern Family' and 'Cougar Town' will fill the Wednesdays at 10PM slot for the remainder of December.

"'The Whole Truth has been a blast from start to finish," series creator Tom Donaghy told TV Squad in an email. "Superb actors, a kick-a** crew, top notch producers. Big thanks to all the loyal fans, everyone at the show felt the love."

A source close to the series said production on the finale, 'The End,' is just wrapping up, but there's no word on if it will ever see the light of day.

"ABC was reluctant to say when or if they would air the remaining episodes," the source said. "I heard nothing about iTunes or Hulu, although I'm sure fans would love to see these shows. They wrote a beautiful episode to wrap up the series and it's a shame it wont run its course in December/January."

The Dec. 1 episode, the first in a few weeks, was seen by a total of 3.64 million viewers, MediaWeek reported. In the coveted 18-49 demographic 'The Whole Truth' pulled a 0.9 share. However, that was without new episodes of ABC's comedy block as a lead-in.

Shonda Rhimes' new medical drama 'Off the Map' will take the 10PM time slot on Jan. 12.

In October, ABC declined to order more than the original 13 episodes of 'The Whole Truth,' but fans were told to look forward to a December full of new episodes and guest stars such as Parminder Nagra and Mandy Patinkin.

[Follow @ChrisHarnick on Twitter]

LEILA

I would hurry and get home so I could watch "The whole truth" and match wits with what really happened. It was interesting and had likable actors. What the hell is wrong with you people. Maybe you need to cancel your big wheels and replace them with high schol dropout and the other dregs of society.

December 26 2010 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhattaWasteOfTime

On behalf of all the fans of The Whole Truth, I would like to say that the seven of us will dearly miss this show.

December 14 2010 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

And you think people who enjoy a good drama are going to want to watch your immature comedies? When are you going to get it right?

December 10 2010 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

"The Whole Truth" is the only Wednesday ABC show I have watched. I like the show. The lead-in comedies are, to me, quite lame. Their story lines have all been done on other shows like "The New Christine". None of them were really new ideas.

December 09 2010 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goofyduck88

Wow - this show was a really great new twist on the gazillion legal shows out there - the kick-a** ending. which made it sooo more interesting to watch. When I had the choice between the Defenders and the Whole Truth, I picked the Whole Truth. And Rob and Maura were superb. I looked for it every week, and I agree with previous comments. ABC never even gave it a chance. There weren't two or three episodes before it got pre-empted with something or other, once because of the minors being rescued and something else, and all of a sudden it is yanked because of the viewer share? That's BS - They doomed it like they do every show that they pre-empt more than once before it gets on its feet or move around so there is no dedicted time slot. ABC killed this show, just like they are killing SoapNet and replacing it with a Disney kiddy channel for 2-year-olds. There is no way in he** anyone can convince me that it was a bad show. It was so refreshing I couldn't wait for the ending and the next episode. It was trying to find it and finding another special that got me. And what happens to shows that get lost and nobody knows when they are even on anymore? Had they played the episodes in the 10:00 slot every week for 6 or 8 or 12 weeks, without interruption, I guarantee this wouldn't be an issue and unaired episodes going into the dumpster is outragious!!

December 08 2010 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I thought this show was much better than "The Defenders" only watched that once but couldn't get into it. ABC doesn't have many good shows on & teh one replacing thsi seems like Grey's Anatomy set in the Jungle, so nothing special there.

December 07 2010 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lita

Well, it was no "Dancing With the Stars" or "Skating With the Stars." (Thank goodness.) What is ABC thinking? Great actors and well-scripted? And they dump it? Yes, ABC, keep feeding us crap (let's not forget "Wipeout") and continue canceling good shows like "The Whole Truth," "Eli Stone," "Pushing Daisies," and a host of others. Oh, goody. "V" is coming back in January--a show which wasn't very good in its original incarnation... and was a poor imitation of the sixties show, "The Invaders."

December 07 2010 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teach

It is a shame I really liked this program, and saw endless avenues it could take. I truly dont understand why it didn't make it

December 07 2010 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joaquin

Another show cancelled by ABC, just when you're getting into it and you like the premise (The day that keeps repeating or the world-wide blackout), then ABC leaves you hanging, you've spent all that time watching for nothing. That's why I don't watch ABC anymore. Another show cancelled? Doesn't surprise me.

December 07 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blonde Ambition

If it doesn't have any gimmicks or isn't otherwise "sexy", it isn't going to last. This & Boardwalk Empire just couldn't pull in huge numbers because of the shallowness of the post-reality show culture.

December 07 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply