September 19, 2014

'Criminal Minds': Rachel Nichols Promoted to Series Regular, Paget Brewster Mulls Options

by Catherine Lawson, posted Dec 6th 2010 8:35AM
Paget BrewsterBack in June we told you how, despite axing AJ Cook and reducing the number of episodes Paget Brewster appears in, 'Criminal Minds' producers said they were looking to hire a new female series regular.

Now we hear that they've kept their word. According to deadline.com Rachel Nichols ('Alias,' 'Star Trek') is in talks to join the drama as a series regular. If she signs, it will make her the first new regular addition since Joe Mantegna in 2007.

Meanwhile, producers are also said to have approached Paget Brewster -- who is almost halfway through what could be her final season with the show -- with an offer to reinstate her previous status as a full series regular. And apparently she's turned them down.

After producers offered to renew her contract as series regular, but in a reduced number of episodes, Brewster signed a "10 out of 13" deal for the current, sixth, season, which means that she'll appear in at least 17 out of 22 episodes. Crucially, it also has a "pilot-out" option, which allows her to do a pilot for a new show while keeping her job at 'Criminal Minds'. Brewster's now opted to stick with her amended contract and take advantage of that option, rather than go back to her original deal.

Rachel Nichols was originally cast as a new regular cast member, playing FBI cadet Ashley Seaver, but her role was then cut back to only three episodes. Now producers have offered to up it again just ahead of her first episode airing this week. Her character will first join the Behavior Analysis Unit when she is invited by Agent Hotch (Thomas Gibson) to consult on a case after learning that her family history will give her a unique insight into the mind of a serial killer.

'Criminal Minds' airs Wednesdays., 9 PM ET on CBS

Shelby

ugh i cannot STAND the new girl rachel nichols... maybe it is because Paget Brewster and AJ Cook are amazing actresses, but even with them gone, rachel SUCKS. What were they thinking??? Seriously how can they even pretend she doesn't suck the energy out of the cast? It has almost gotten so bad that I don't want to watch this show anymore... and it was my favorite show just last year. I AM SO MAD AT THEM!!!

April 28 2011 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shelby

April 28 2011 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NestleBaby

Hey people! If they say "Budget cuts" they should not hire anybody after firing somebody... you know why fire if you can hire...

April 15 2011 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angrichik

Sorry, I really hate this Rachel character. Once Prentiss goes, can't they send her back to FBI school? SHe is rude, snippy, and out of all the actresses in hollywood is she the only one available? UGH.
I hope Prentiss "prentends to die" and gets her own spin off where she rejoins INTERPOL.

February 25 2011 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
june

i just dont get the point...why fire two women that people obviously respond well to, to hire one random...

February 23 2011 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to june's comment
angrichik

I know, and the new one is AWFUL! they say budget cuts. Hey, Sheen left CBS...use the $$$ to keep prentiss and AJ

February 25 2011 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lhoffmanexc

Susan
Rachel Nichols (no offense) needs to leave the show, she is not good at all and the rest of the cast does not need to be babysitting. If she doesn't leave I'm done with Criminal Minds!!!! But maybe they're thinking of pulling the plug soon because thats usually when they pull stupid stunts like this.

January 18 2011 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lhoffmanexc's comment
angrichik

i agree. She is rude to reid and serves no purpose

February 25 2011 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debby

First, thanks for the wonderful new haircut on Matthew Grey Gubler. His hair used to drive me crazy. As for what the series has done to AJ Cook and Paget Brewster - don't these people realize that part of the reason we watch these shows is because we LIKE the characters and the actors who play them????? I miss AJ Cook, I want Paget Brewster back full time, and Rachel Nichols needs to be somewhere else doing something else! She does NOT "fit" with the rest of the cast. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????

January 04 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Debby's comment
angrichik

Im with you. I hate this Rachel. I will miss Paget and aj of course. Use the money they used to pay charlie sheen to keep these fabulous ladies on

February 25 2011 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

Again! Please do not use my actual name!!!!!!!!! Use vickie17.

December 12 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

I have forgotten my pw since I don't comment much. I was shocked to learn that AJ Cook was dismissed. While watching a show a while ago, I marvelled at her amazing abilities as her character reminding me of my career as a psycho therapist etc. She displayed many good social work skills that I had to use with families, children, perps, and other pros who tended to maximize their importance. I missed several shows wherein she left, so when I tried to learn what happened and found this info. I was outraged. What pretentious ass perpetrated that misguided axing???? Smacks of the inadequate supervisors in my field who got their jollies by making professionals' jobs harder. I loved watching her handle her job so competently. Maybe she made the boss look bad. Disgraceful.

December 09 2010 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Running

This is particularly interesting to me given that Nichols starred in The Inside, an excellent but short-lived series (helmed by Tim Minear and killed by Fox, big surprise) which premiered a few months before Criminal Minds and had, basically, the exact same premise. It will be interesting to see what her role on Minds is. Given the right role Nichols can be great, but in the wrong role she can be, well, obnoxious.

December 06 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply