October 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Extreme Makeover': A Blind Couple 'Shines' While Dancing in the Moonlight (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 6th 2010 5:15AM
'Extreme Makeover': A Blind Couple 'Shines' While Dancing in the MoonlightThe Anderson family lives in Maple Heights, Ohio. Parents Andre and Jasmine are blind as a result of diabetes, and they have two sons -- 13-year-old Jaison (who is hearing-impaired) and 7-year-old Jahzion -- plus a guide dog named Valentine. The family lives in a rickety, dangerous old house. But they haven't let their surroundings or their disabilities hold them back.

Andre and Jasmine run a disability awareness center -- now, courtesy of 'Extreme Makeover' (Sun., 8PM ET on ABC), they get a change in their lives. They receive a new mansion-style home -- which includes a thumbprint reader that unlocks the front door, a bar-code scanner to identify food in the kitchen, and a laptop to read books for Andre. (There's also a new heart-shaped bed for Valentine, which is nice, since we're suckers for guide dogs.)

But the nicest gift of all might be a special moment for the married couple. As Jasmine and Andre are moving into their new house, Ohio-born R&B singer John Legend shows up and performs his song 'Shine,' which includes these lyrics: "Ordinary people, could be a hero/ Don't blow out the light/ Let them shine/ Let them shine on."

The Andersons certainly are heroes in their own community. But as Andre and his wife slow-dance in the moonlight, we learn this from Jasmine: She and her husband never got to dance at their own wedding, and 'Shine' is basically a theme-song for them, describing their basic philosophy. "When the going gets rough, we all come together, we all do what's right," Jasmine says.

dorisguy

"123 Get Samples" is promoting a new line of detergent, tooth paste, lotion etc by giving away free samples. It's more of the "try it before buy it" marketing model and who can resist a free useful household product like detergent? This free sample is limited to one per household and only available while supplies last.

December 07 2010 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edith Ann

Thanks JohnK

December 06 2010 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tena

Saw the show last night; one of the best I've seen.

Please people, if you are a diabetic....KEEP IT IN CHECK. Blindness is a very real possibility.

God bless Andre & Jasmine; they are truly good and caring people.

December 06 2010 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nena

I am legally blind but fortunately my sight can be corrected with glasses thank the Lord. I was really happy for this couple, who despite their disabilities, are raising two boys (who seem like FINE young men), working, and giving back to their community. Once again, a big SALUTE to Ty and the gang for choosing a family who was truly in need, but yet continued to GIVE.

December 06 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
_

It was a nice show I didn't see all of the show, But why stevie wonder did not take part in the show is beyond me. You would think stevie would think out others like him since the people are blind just like he is, and that he would take part in the show.

December 06 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ConnieJ

My mother was also blind due to macular degeneration. She could still see, but not well enough to function on a daily basis. Her greatest problem was that she could no longer read, which was always a favorite pastime. So don't be so quick to judge others. Since this couple's blindness is due to diabetes, chances are that their conditions will worsen with time. I sincerely wish them nothing but the best.

December 06 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edith Ann

Well glad they got their new house, but Sear's is always praised,but let you get a payment behind on your account and then you will hear from the abusive debt collector's. I tried to call them and I would always get the good guy, bad guy, run around thing, one acted like he would work with me, then the other one would say let me get you in touch with my supervisor all a bunch of con's. And no I wasn't trying to get out of paying them, I just fell on hard times for a couple of months like a lot of people do, so I am pretty sure the one's harrassing me was behind in their own bills. So yeah, glad Sear's is being paid by this high profile show, but I got them paid off, and never again will I have an account with them. Wish I had tape recorded the debt collector's, and all for $80.00. I was even being called at work after telling and writing them to not call me at work. Thank God I got these morons paid off. Do not go in debt with them, never.

December 06 2010 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edith Ann's comment
jokesl3

Edith, The Federal law is that if you send your creditors a "Cease Communications" letter, they may only contact you one more time and the debt reverts to the origin. If you are contacted a 2nd time or they involve a third party in pursuit of the debt, they are violating Federal law. Look it up, you have some options for protection against harassment.

December 06 2010 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spirit

You are an idiot Phillip. Just because someone is legally blind, does not mean that they cannot see anything. I'm sure she can still see images and things that are very close to her. Stop hating on the disabled... Stoooooooooopid

December 06 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frank

my question is, who is going to pay for the utilities and the property taxes? and there was no reason to give these people a luxurious home. but then it's politically correct.

December 06 2010 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

People who are racist need not comment...your words aren't worth the space on my computer.

December 06 2010 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply