April 24, 2014

In the Midst of a Swell Season, 'Supernatural' Wins TV Guide Fan Favorite Poll

by Maureen Ryan, posted Dec 6th 2010 10:15AM
In the grand scheme of things, how important is one magazine's Fan Favorite poll? Perhaps not all that important.

But I must admit, I was quite cheered to learn that 'Supernatural' won TV Guide's first annual Fan Favorite poll, and thus the CW show will get its first-ever TV Guide cover with the Dec. 13 issue (it hits the stands Dec. 9).

Sure, it's fun to see Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles pull their best 'Zoolander' faces for the cover (that is always entertaining). But the cover represents additional recognition for the drama, which it richly deserves. As I noted in my review of Friday's episode, 'Supernatural' is having one hell of a good season. Will end up being as truly glorious as season 4 or season 2? Who knows, but 'Supernatural' always seems to do well with its even-numbered seasons.

In any event, in its sixth season, the show has essentially reconfigured its DNA in highly intriguing ways instead of resting on its laurels. I can't think of many shows that were this creative this late into their runs. There aren't a lot.

So if this TV Guide cover gets the message out about how good the Winchester chronicles have been in general -- and this season in particular -- I'm very pleased. The cast, crew and writers deserve the recognition. And the Fan Favorite win also reinforces the idea that 'Supernatural' fans are rabidly loyal, but did we need further proof of that? Probably not, but hey, good job, 'Supernatural' fanatics. Nicely done.

Here are a few quotes from the show's stars and one of the producers on the win:

"Our fans have been a huge part of the show. We have such a committed following," Jared Padalecki said in a statement released by the magazine. "They're keeping us alive, and they're keeping the story alive."

"We have an incredibly loyal, devoted-and aggressive-fan base. It's nice when the show can get recognized, not only for us, but for the fans as well," Jensen Ackles said. "They like to brag about the show."

"It starts with the two guys," said executive producer Robert Singer. "People love their relationship. Jared and Jensen were a perfect pairing from the beginning. Television is, more than anything, about characters, and that's what the audience initially responded to before we hit our stride with our stories."

The 'Supernatural' cover story will be available Thursday, and we'll get a fresh episode of the CW show Friday. Let's hope the holiday Hellatus isn't too long!

Nitelady33-supernatural

Congrats to Supernatural. They deserve it. I was also one of the rabid fans who voted all day long on the last day plus every day from the start. Thanks to TV Guide for making this special edition available for fans outside the States. I'm in Canada & I so wanted this copy

December 10 2010 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lune Rouge

They forget the impala on the road too!!

December 08 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lune Rouge

Yes, I am also happy that Supernatural won the TV Guide cover but I agree with all the people who said that they could have made a better picture (they have no excuse when we know how good looking are Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki!).
It's really really too heavily photoshopped. Actually most of the cover of any kind of magazine are like this those days. Graphic designers think that it's better to remove all the little imperfections, but the problem is that it makes the pictures cold and without soul. Real human beings have always at least a few little imperfections and sometime those little "imperfections" are what makes some people even more attractive and special. Jensen and Jared doesn't need at all to be transformed into barbie dolls!

For the background the road is a good idea, it's a big part of Supernatural, but the blue blue sky??! Not really the atmosphere of the show.
But again, I am glad that Supernatural won this cover, it's richly deserved. I love this show.

December 08 2010 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ebony

So happy to hear that Supernatural won the TV Guide cover! It truly is a awesome show and I am so glad that I started watching it this year. Can't wait to buy this issue.

December 07 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AmandaF73

CONGRATULATIONS to the cast and crew of Supernatural, I'm sure I speak for all the fans when I tell you that we love this show and this is just a small way in which we can show our appreciation. And thank you to all the wonderful fans for voting and making this happen.
Supernatural is a BRILLIANT show and if you haven't watched it yet then I highly recommend you do starting with the Pilot from Season 1.

December 06 2010 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sweetondean

I'm so proud we won this cover. I'm so proud of the fans and so proud of this show. Jensen is right, we love to brag about it! Supernatural deserves so much more recognition than it gets. I agree with you, Supernatural is having an amazing season and this is a nice little cherry on top.

December 06 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lily

I'm so thrilled to see Supernatural receive the recognition it deserves! Don't forget to vote for the People's Choice Awards!

December 06 2010 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Could that cover look anymore touched up, Honestly What the hell.

December 06 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cassi

This is so awesome! I love Jensen's comment about us fans loving to brag about the show. *grins* I don't know what he's talking about, why would anybody want to brag about Supernatural? ;D
They could have used a better picture, less photoshop, but who cares, Supernatural has its first TVguidecover, the show was mentioned on the CBS News, free publicity, and the voting was a lot of fun! Maybe Misha and Jim Beaver will make it onto the next cover.

December 06 2010 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

Woohoo! All that voting I did was worth it.

Though I do agree with others that the photo looks very weird - these 2 actors are the last people that should be getting airbrushed.

But big picture - if it gets people to pick up the magazine and check out the show then I won't quibble on what they did to the pretties.

December 06 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply