September 30, 2014

Watch a Teaser for Syfy's 'Being Human'

by Jean Bentley, posted Dec 6th 2010 2:30PM
'Being Human'It sounds like the setup for a "man walks into a bar" joke, or at least an oddball sitcom: a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire live in a house together.

But no, Syfy's remake of the BBC series 'Being Human,' which follows a twentysomething trio of roommates who also happen to be a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire, is more of a soapy drama than anything else -- think 'Melrose Place' with a supernatural twist.

E! Online has the first look at the new show, which debuts on Jan. 17. (Coincidentally, MTV's remake of the hit British series 'Skins' premieres that same night.)

After the jump, watch the short behind-the-scenes teaser.

Tell us: Will you watch 'Being Human' on Syfy or are you loyal to the original British version?

JoAnn

I love the show, hate the actors. Whoever did the casting really screwed up, majorly!!! I am a fan of Being Human on BBC. I wish SyFy had chosen actors who resembled and captured the essence, visually, of the three British actors. Mitchell should be gorgeous!!! George should be boy-like!!! And Annie should be adorable!!! The three American actors-NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a BIG turn off for me!!!

December 10 2010 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Summer

The Sams (Witwer & Huntington) look like they'll at least do a decent job, but based on this preview, I am definitely not a fan of NuAnnie.

December 07 2010 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thanh Tuyền

I am a fan of British original, too^^

December 07 2010 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lmfsyrny

I agree we Americans do tend to dumb it down..BBC "skins" was awesome, why can't the networks just buy the rights to BBC's stuff..why the costs to redo shows done well the first time..do they think we're bothered by the accent or can't figure out their slang? I personally like both.

December 06 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

I'm not a major fan of the British series. I mean, it's good television but it's not the be-all-end-all of genre television, so I'm going into Syfy's version with an open mind.

Based on the trailers I've seen so far I'm cautiously optimistic. If Syfy doesn't go the dumb-it-down route they might actually have a buzz-worthy series on their network for the first time since BSG.

December 06 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

The original is perfect. Come up with new shows. Stop trying to copy the Brits.

December 06 2010 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
comgen

I am-will-always be loyal to the original British version.

While the US version might turn out well, the BBC cast can not be replaced / remade. The entire BBC cast/crew gave 210%, the characters felt real and oddly, a ghost, werewolf and a vampire living together worked perfectly. All without being overloaded with cheesy teen-supernatural-myth-lore, jokes and puns were executed perfectly, the anti-supernatural-social roommates were funny at times for no apparent reason, other than an eyebrow raise, tea time again, poltergeist 101 being tested, or Mitch cleaning up the surgery. The BBC cast provided just the right mix, character physical and emotional quirks, expressions, George played by Russell Tovey was stellar, he brought that odd-disposition-character love we have for many, such as: Dex, Mr. White, Jax. Mitchell the laid-back vamp played by Aidan Turner and Annie the insecure ghost played by Lenora Crichlow were a laugh when alone with each other.

It takes special talent to pull off such a show and they [BBC] did it flawlessly, I appreciate good [excellent !] performances.......I doubt you'll find a better cast !

December 06 2010 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

Screw ANYTHING new that Syfy puts on their network.

I'm tried on watching programs and them cancel the show.

Keep making those great dinosaur bones movies!!!!

Oh yeah, don't forget the wrestling.......

December 06 2010 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig Ranapia

I'm a huge fan of the British original, but will be watching the remake -- though it is going to have three episodes top to be brain-meltingly awesome. Or put another way, nothing like the US 'Life on Mars'.

December 06 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply