November 23, 2014

Oprah Tells Barbara Walters: 'I'm Not a Lesbian,' Gayle King Just a Friend

by Jean Bentley, posted Dec 8th 2010 4:55PM
Oprah WinfreyThe truth about Oprah Winfrey's friendship with Gayle King, once and for all: "I'm not a lesbian," Winfrey reveals to interviewer extraordinaire Barbara Walters in a new special set to air on ABC tomorrow night at 9PM ET.

"I'm not even kind of a lesbian," she continues. "And the reason why it irritates me is because it means that somebody must think I'm lying. That's number one. Number two, why would you want to hide it? That is not the way I run my life."

In this video from 'Good Morning America' (via The Hollywood Reporter), Walters teases Thursday's hourlong 'A Barbara Walters Special: Oprah, The Next Chapter' with a clip of Winfrey talking about her long friendship with King.

"She is the mother I never had. She is the sister everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves," Winfrey says in the interview. "I don't know a better person. I don't know a better person."

Winfrey gets choked up discussing how much her friend means to her. "It's making me cry because I'm thinking about how much -- I probably have never told her that. Tissue please. I now need tissue. I've never told her that."

Tell us: Will you watch the special tomorrow night?

Harvey

Who cares if she is or she isn't. It's not news if she is gay, nor news if she is a straight arrow. She is a very successful woman, but why should it be any of our concern who she is intimate with. Not every female-female or male-male friendship ends up being sexual in nature. And if it does become so, Who Cares. As long as they keep it out of my face, I could care less if she sleeps with a dog, a cat, two women, three men and a fish.

December 13 2010 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I love Oprah. I don't know a better person.

December 10 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don

Hey Barbara, it is none of your damned business and I
don't want to know who and who isn't queer/gay or what have you. It is none of my business what or how people want to live their live--UNLESS- you and people like you try and shove such down my/oour throat in the name of "Journalism."

December 10 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rolando Polson

Oprah is a unique and gifted individual with wisdom and talent that overrides the basic sexual animalistic instinct. Only highly evolved masters posses this ability and only highly evolved masters can understand it.

December 09 2010 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Moore

I am so proud that I am one of the people who couldn't give a rats ass. My sympathy to those who do.

December 08 2010 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaba

I mean, really, what does it matter?

December 08 2010 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
themightyabelard

Grow up, America! This childish hysteria over a simple fact of life-sexuality-is beyond tiresome.
With the exception of abusive behavior or pedophila, I don't think it is anyone's business what another person does in bed.I'm waiting (most likely in vain) for a public figure such as Winfrey to answer a question about sexual orientation like this:
"That's an offensive question. I'm not the least bit interested in what you do with your genitals and I find your interest in what I do with mine very creepy. There's a reason we call them private parts...that's because what we may or may not do with them is a private business.I think your best option here is to withdraw the question, and save it for people who are as shallow, ill-bred and and ignorant as yourself."

December 08 2010 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HigherSelf09

Oprah is not in denial........... She is not gay.....................

Although I do NOT, people CAN have close friends of the same sex as confidants or simply someone who will do them a favor every now and then.

Just because a person male or female, has never been married does not mean that he/she is gay. I myself have never been married and I'm not gay. Other than career advancement, my reasons are:

(1.) I'm not a doormat. No one is going to mistreat me because I have self-respect and self-dignity. I'm my own best PROTECTOR.

(2.) I have never met a person of the opposite sex who has the same like-mind as myself. In other words, just because I'm single does not mean that I have to hurry up and tie the knot or sleep with the single crack-head who hangs out on the corner, tie up with an alcoholic, or an un-educated abusive hillbilly! I RATHER WAIT IT OUT!!

(3.) Since I may have to do this thing called LIFE alone, I've learned to keep myself company--- entertain myself-- love myself--and give myself permission to be myself. In other words, I'm not exactly needy; I've learned to take responsibility for my own happiness. Why be with someone for the sake of being with someone when they will only make me miserable? In other words, I will never lie to me--I will never cheat on me-- and I will always respect me.

As a result, I don't have to worry about getting AIDs, or other sexually transmitted diseases-I do not have to experience the misery of betrayal or a broken heart. Just because one is married or have a mate still does not guarantee that your spouse or mate is always faithful. (THEY LIE!!!) And in this day, lies and deceit can have some very serious DEADLY consequences!!! So therefore since I'm alone, those things are one less worry.

This may sound rather selfish, but I can do BAD all by myself. Love (heterosexual love) is very very nice, but in the meantime, I will learn to love myself first, and just in case Mr. Right does come along, when he arrives, I'll know how to love him too---- and not to mention the beautiful children that dominates my daydreams.

Nevertheless, if Mr. Right never shows up, I'll be just FINE!! I will celebrate life anyway!! AND TO DO SO DOES NOT IMPLY THAT I'M GAY. I consider myself a very blessed strong woman because I do not have to stoop low enough to involve myself in bad situations or bad relationships that are simply NOT very smart or very healthy!!!!

I decided to share this thought with all the single people who are often mistaken for being gay because they are not married or does not have a mate.

Sometimes, some of us are better off standing alone............Remember the old saying: "Everything that glitters is not always gold."

December 08 2010 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobcheesedoodle

Obviously Oprah is gay. What is really shameful is not that she is gay, but, that she lies about it all the time. She would probably lose 2/3 of her audience if she were to admit it, however, with all the money she has, you'd think she'd do the honorable thing and admit to her homosexuality. She's fake and phony and a total disgrace.

December 08 2010 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bobcheesedoodle's comment
sally miller

The hate radio station (R) must have had a real mudsling against O because all of a sudden the sheep dont like her. Why? Because she is powerful, and she has money...and she supported OBAMA.
Personally your attacks are unfounded. I have a best friend that I love and have known all my life. The guys cant say that. We are lesbo's. We are just dear friends. Sadly, dear friends are taboo today. There is no such thing as best buds? Same sex friends are good for the spirit. O is being honest here. Besides that Im sick to death of hearing and watching television about the gays. Keep it hidden, cause we dont really care what you do with yourself. We all stand alone before God in the end. None of us have a say. You...shouldnt slander people

December 10 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abc123

I think she doth protest too much! I was changing channels awhile back and came across her and Gale's famous "camping" episode -- she kept saying on that show she wasn't gay too. Hmmmm Wonder where her "boyfriend" Steadman has been all these years? He doesn't go camping with her. He doesn't run in races with her. They aren't seen anywhere together anymore, but she still swears he's her boyfriend.

Yeah. Sure. Riiight. ;-)

December 08 2010 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to abc123's comment
Judith

Dolly Parton's husband has never been seen much either, and they are happily married for about 40 years. He never wanted to be in the limelight either. Stedman wants to be his own man. Don't a lot of people have close friends of the same sex that they spend a lot of time with? Give it a rest already!

December 08 2010 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply