October 25, 2014

Bummer: More Evidence that 'Cash Cab' is Staged

by Jean Bentley, posted Dec 9th 2010 5:30PM
'Cash Cab'The sad truth: No matter how hard you scour the interiors of passing taxis as you hail a ride, Ben Bailey will probably not pick you up in his Cash Cab.

Internet rumors have long since confirmed that the Discovery Channel's 'Cash Cab' actually casts for its show at bars, telling potential game show contestants that a car will pick them up to take them to a filming location. Of course, when the car shows up it's actually Bailey in his pimped-out cab.

But now, further evidence that the entire process is much more planned out than it appears on television: A Time Out Chicago reporter tried to hitch a ride in the cab, which happened to be stopped a block from his apartment, but was refused.

"The group of five contestants that just exited the Discovery Channel's trivia taxi told me they were sworn to secrecy but confided that they won $1,500. Not too shabby," Jake Malooley wrote. "So, of course, I knocked on the window and asked to play. Chicago host Beth Melewski, in the driver's seat, smiled as the dude in the passenger seat (apparently the producer on the shoot) explained that they weren't taking contestants at the moment but to keep a look out for the cab around town. Uh, isn't that what I just did?!"

Tell us: Are you bummed that the show isn't as spontaneous as it's portrayed on TV? Do you still harbor dreams of becoming a contestant?

Follow Jean on Twitter @hijean

Annie Luv & Kiss

Its so obvious that Cash Cab is "staged"... they are constanly "riding" WITHOUT wearing seat belts!!!!!
PHOOOOO NEY! Why didn't they think of that when trying to fool us?!?

September 27 2011 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rodheffern

The only "screening' that happens on this show is when you sign the release for airing. I'm sure there have been times when potential contestants may not want to be on the show for personal reasons such as deadbeat dads, wanted felons, warrants, illegal aliens, etc. There have been shows where the people have been informed i.e. Las Vegas shows, Deadliest Catch etc. but that would be the ONLY time that a contestant is aware before entering the cab. New Yorkers have been looking out to catch the Cash Cab since it started on Discovery Channel and shout outs and rules are common knowledge to a fan...anything else would be illegal.

December 20 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kelvin

If you pay attention to the credits at the end, it says "contestants are pre-screened"

December 11 2010 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric

Not just this, but i'm not a game show fan, PERIOD! There's a bit of phonybaloney on some, and, in fact, a supermarket tabloid ran something on "Wheel Of Fortune" being rigged. It may be, but not as in the article; I've seen people get small amounts on the wheel ($300) and get as many as FIVE letters! In addition, I've seen people spin $5000 and either get 1 or 2 letters, or worse, none at all. Probably the show that is most up-and-up is Jeopardy!, but I've seen a few shenannigans there aside from Alex Trebek's phony accents (his French is the worse). Like someone gets the first four answers correct in a category, and either misses #5, someone else gets it, or no one rings in.

December 11 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane Peagler

If you didnt know it was staged,,,you're not reading the disclaimer,,,,,! People wake up!

December 11 2010 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nyuser

No Really? All reality shows have to go through auditions! Besides, you really think an American cabbie would be legit in NYC? Cash prize probably staged too.

December 11 2010 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dAvId

c'mon people...why does someone always have to peek at the man behind the curtain???
Great show and so what?

December 11 2010 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dAvId's comment
Martin

I agree , I find it a fun show .

July 19 2011 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron Lee

I can't stand the show so I don't care if it is staged.

December 11 2010 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ralphyboy9

Ben You had me fooled but now I'm running home to eat not to watch your show cash cab and I was proud of the shows award please give it back you don't deserve it. I will never watch this fake show again .

December 11 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cecil B. DeMille

OMG.....Next you'll tell me Kim Kardashian doesn't have any real talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 11 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply