August 21, 2014

A&E Pulls 'The Hasselhoffs' Off the Air

by Jean Bentley, posted Dec 10th 2010 10:35AM
'The Hasselhoffs'Hoff-ful news, Hasselhoff fans: A&E has pulled the Hoff's new reality show, 'The Hasselhoffs,' (h)off the air after just one night and two episodes, Vulture reports.

The reality show, about David Hasselhoff and his daughters Hayley and Taylor, performed disappointingly for the network when it debuted on Sunday night. Just 718,000 viewers tuned in for its first half-hour episode and 505,000 for the one that immediately followed.

A&E did not use the word "canceled" in its announcement, although according to Vulture, the network has not yet decided the fate of the show's remaining eight episodes.

The series focused on the showbiz careers of the Hasselhoff family members, following daughter Hayley as she worked on the now-canceled ABC Family drama 'Huge' and both girls as they developed their band, Bella Vida, under their father's tutelage.

David spoke candidly about his struggle with alcoholism during the first episode, saying "It broke my heart because my child was involved. With all the kind of negative press that I get because of being an alcoholic, [if] people can look at that and realize that someone in their family has got the same problem and it can help, maybe that's why it happened ... Sometimes life gives you a wake-up call."

@hijean

lisa bowman

I suggest you get a copy of Jekyll and Hyde the musical starring David Hasselhoff Maybe then you will change your mind about his singing and acting

December 15 2010 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

To Marsha....I agree with you about today's 'music' (so-called). I've been complaining for years about RAP CRAP & HIP HOP SLOP. Talent? NOT! Then there's screamers, yellers & dirty dancing videos to distract the the taslentless voices coming out of these bodies. They belong in the circus, not the stage.

December 11 2010 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Samantha's comment
Marsha

Rap and hip hop are definitely a genre that has become popular music, yet I don't feel as harshly about it as you. There are some true lyrical poets out there who have stood the test of time (at least the 25 yrs or so since it was introduced). Even though some of it is quite good, if you don't like rap music, you're just not going to like it, nor take the time to even really listen to what they are saying. Rap and/or hip hop to me is kinda like R&B in that if the artists are not that good then they tend to disappear very quickly. Not so with Pop music. These people are so manufactured and technically enhanced in the studio that they totally fall flat in live performances. I watched the AMA's and the Soul Train Awards this year and the difference between the quality of singers on those shows was like the difference between night and day. I personally enjoy watching shows like American Idol because they really do try and find people with true singing abilities. What's unfortunate though is that they rely on the very audience that excepts mediocracy to vote really good singers out.

December 16 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foosfev

After seeing a gay person winning the first survivor series I said the hell with reality tv. boy what a role model show for our chidren. survivor producers should have there asses kicked clean off the network. piss on that show!!!!

December 10 2010 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

It is hard to believe A&E would cancele anything as they have so little to offer.

December 10 2010 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

He is such a has been. His big claims to fame were "Knight Rider," with a talking car, and "Baywatch," and the only people who tuned in to that were men wanting to look at girls in bikinis. It certainly wasn't to see David's talent. Just go away!

December 10 2010 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neuticles

who wants to see some old washed up drunk?

December 10 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine McGaughey

he has always seemed to me that his ego gets in the way with his life. He's a has been, why cannot he see that

December 10 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott smith

I CANT DECIDE IF YOU ARE ALL STUPID OR JUST NUTS. While it's true that many "reality" shows have some staged events, they are much more entertaining than the 15 Law & Order and CSI spin offs. Hasn't America seen enough poorly written and performed sitcoms and medical dramas? Reality shows tend to show Americans in their truer, divisive, self endulgent form.
I have 10 times the respect for Hasselhoff than that buffoon Hulk Hogan (and his white trash family). That piece of sh!t show ran for multiple seasons. Sure David is over the top, and yes he has made mistakes. Yet we go out of our way to forgive everyone else as long as they aren't a straight white male.

December 10 2010 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to scott smith's comment
Marsha

Your last sentence must be a joke right? I can list at least (5) blacks that people continue to shun before (1) white guy comes to mind...Chris Brown, Kanye West, Michael Vick, Fantasia Barrino, Michael Jackson(rip) and the list goes on and on.

His show failed because hardly anyone is interested in boring, dorky ass Hasselhoff & his equally boring and totally untalented offspring, it has nothing to do with his alcoholism.

December 10 2010 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott smith

Sorry Marsha, but you're dillusional. Talk to Mel Gibson or Brett Favre. Kanye is back, Vick is celebrated now, Rihanna gained from Brown's punch, Jackson is completely worshipped everywhere in the world but here....
Calling a guy "boring" after starring in 2 unrelated mega television shows over 2 decades, #1 recording artist in europe, and a complete alcoholic meltdown is ridiculous. I gather his show must've been a little too cerebral for you. Go back to your DWTS.

December 10 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marsha

I'm surprised that many people watched.

December 10 2010 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandy

Reality tv is "scripted reality". I saw the first two episodes. I didn't think they were bad enough to cancel. I enjoyed watching them; but I watch mostly reality tv anyway.

December 10 2010 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply