April 17, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Bill O'Reilly Responds to 'The View' Walk-Off and Ground Zero Debate, Says He Was Trying to 'Sell a Book' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 10th 2010 4:23AM
Bill O'Reilly Responds to 'The View' Walk-Off and Ground Zero Debate, Says He Was Trying to 'Sell a Book'Having people leave the room while you're talking is generally considered to be a bad thing. But Bill O'Reilly always tries to look on the bright side. Two months ago, back in October, O'Reilly got into an infamous yelling match during a live filming of 'The View,' which culminated in co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar walking away in protest.

On 'Late Show' (weeknights, 11:35PM ET on CBS), David Letterman had this question for O'Reilly: "What the hell happened over there on 'The View'? What was going on?"

Bill said he knew Behar didn't like him, and that Whoopi's opinion of him varied. He added that he was just trying to "sell a book" during his time on the show. And he found a positive aspect to the fiasco, joking that it was the "greatest thing ever." "You know what I was thinking? ... 'I hope they all leave! Then I'll take the whole show. I'll have 45 minutes of ABC airtime.'" Well, that's one way to sell a book.

'The View' debate focused on the "Ground Zero mosque," leading to this statement from O'Reilly: "Muslims killed us on 9/11." This angered Whoopi Goldberg, who pointed out that Muslim-Americans also lost family members during the attack. During the ensuing shouting match, she added that non-Muslims have also committed terrorism -- including Timothy McVeigh, who was responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing.

Whoopi and Joy Behar then walked off the 'View' set. They returned after O'Reilly said this: "If anyone felt that I was demeaning all Muslims, I apologize."

RickyBaby

Who is Joy Behar?

December 15 2010 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chele

No, you didn't hit a nerve and you also didn't read any of my previous messages before you responded to my last message, therefore, I'm convinced you don't read, you don't do research and yes, you are confused and quite ignorant too. As I stated in my original message...READ, READ, READ...you won't take things out of context and you might learn something. You seem to have an open mind.

December 11 2010 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mistermac

I,I,I, me, me, me, who gives a $h1T that O'Rielly wanted to sell his book or Behar and Goldberg took exception that Muslims killed over 3000 of us on 9/11.Fact is fact and the bleeding heart Liberals should be the first "Liberalationists" to be picking their underwear out of the dust and bricks of a car bombing while our "invited guests" bang their heads on the ground 3-4 times a day. Get real folks,we have a problem!!

December 10 2010 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Then you blame Clinto as well, who was offered Osama on a silver platter twice??? Your train of thought seems anything but logical to me. How do you compare Bill Oreilly to Hitler. Hitler was a socialist like Obama. He used an economic crises to take nationalize the economy... sound familiar???? Thats right.... again like Obama. Obama may not be a Hitler but he is closer to it than Bill!!!!

December 10 2010 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Ws it not moslems who killed us on 9-11. Yes, muslems killed a few of their own during the attack; however, NO ONE can deny that muslems killed us on 9-11. I am not sure what that has to do with Timothy M.....

December 10 2010 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marit

@FRANK: Quit nitpicking. I see nothing wrong with Jim's comment other than a couple of missing words. Besides, I don't find your comment especially gratifying either so perhaps you could use a little dose of "positive" yourself!

December 10 2010 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shocked

Hitler was rated number 1 back in his day. A number 1 rated show doesn't mean anything to me, sorry.

And I don't listen to NPR, i think they are too liberal, I try to listen to all opinions, because I classify myself as a person and nothing more. I believe that I am logical for not assuming all Muslims are to be feared, and that after 9/11, it is more logical to blame our president who knowingly didn't go after the people who terrorized our country, rather than say "Muslims killed us" in an attempt to frighten the american public. If O'Reilly's agenda for saying "Muslims killed us" was simply to state a fact that the men responsible for one act were Muslims, then he should have saved his breath. Um, we know that, Bill. I respect his freedom of speech and believe (logically) that he made that statement in order to call out the need to be cautious of all muslims. That is NOT logical, its hateful!

December 10 2010 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OU812?

I caught Bill O'The Clown's show last night, he had on Glen Lonesome Rhodes Beck. The only reason i watched it for a bit was Mayberry RFD was a rerun. These 2 should put there heads together and make a rock pile.

December 10 2010 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gio

Bull O'Reilly is a blowhard. He needs to get over himself.

December 10 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AnneT

I meant to write Bill's sole reason for going on the show and people who think differently from themselves.

December 10 2010 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to AnneT's comment
Marit

pat: I noticed the misspelling but thought it was intended. You know, like his "soul" reason was to bring attention to the Wounded Warrior project. As in, he has one and they don't. (You should've written "pun intended" after that sentence and it would have made sense.) lol

December 10 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marit

I meant he has a soul and the women of the show don't, not the Wounded Warrior Project.

December 10 2010 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply