July 26, 2014

'The Closer' Will End After Season 7

by Jean Bentley, posted Dec 10th 2010 3:15PM
Kyra Sedgwick 'The Closer'Fans of 'The Closer,' prepare to say goodbye. TNT announced today that the hit show will end next year after its seventh season.

According to TNT, the bittersweet decision to end the series in 2011 after six successful years was made by Emmy-winning star Kyra Sedgwick herself.

"I cannot fathom how difficult it will be to say goodbye to the incredible family we've created on 'The Closer,'" Sedgwick said in a statement. "I will always be grateful to James Duff for his love and friendship, as well as for creating such a rich and complex character who I have loved living with year after year. Mike, Greer, Rick and all of our outstanding cast and crew are forever in my heart."

"I want to thank TNT and Warner Bros. Television, as well as the incredible fans of 'The Closer,' for all of their unwavering support over the last seven years," she continued.

'The Closer' is currently wrapping up its sixth season, and averaged more than 8 million viewers in 2010.

"It's impossible to fully express our appreciation to Kyra Sedgwick, series creator James Duff and all of the other talented people who brought 'The Closer' to TNT viewers," said Steve Koonin, president of Turner Entertainment Networks. "'The Closer' was a pivotal series in setting a new course for TNT's original programming, while also serving as a prime example of the storytelling strength possible on cable television."

Tell us: Are you sad to see 'The Closer' end?

@hijean

Butch Payne

yes me and my wife would watch the closer every week,they keep showing the same reruns of law and order come on leave it on,

July 12 2012 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Leonard

Kyra IS the closer this show would NOT be the same without her!! Am VERY upset to see it ending I love her and the show, they ARE my monday evenings after a long day at work!!! BooHoo!!!

August 27 2011 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sherlenecotton

Please don''t end this show!! If Kyra wants to be done - let the other cast members continue! The Closer has been my favorite show from the beginning.

July 19 2011 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise Herrick

It took a cast of actors to make Closer a success. I hope to see them in another series in the near future. Kyra was excellent but didn't do it alone. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

June 07 2011 at 4:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracy

I am very sad because I love this show. I wish that Kyra would reconsider.

March 20 2011 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry Anderson

I am sad, very sad to hear it will be the end soon. I loved the diversity in it. It had it all.
I loved all the people in it. I just wish it would stay on longer.

March 18 2011 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dfgalletta@gmail.com

Terrific show: great ensemble cast, terrific scripts (usually), and important topics. Hardly seems like a show that should end. Why does the cheaply-produced reality show crap live on while these wonderful examples of writing and execution end? Isn't it enough that 8 million people watch it? Please, Kyra, reconsider!

February 15 2011 at 9:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
barkasca

Kyra,

Please don't leave the Closure series.

My sister and I can't wait to see you whether it's during Monday nights or daytime at 2:00 p.m.

January 27 2011 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Bell

As a southerner, I sometimes find Kyra Sedgwick's over done southern accent a little annoying, but I love her and the show. It's one of the best ensemble casts on TV. Each cast member has been allowed to develop his own character and they're simply outstanding. GW Bailey and Michael Paul Chan are my special favorites. They've become two of the most distinctive supporting characters on TV.

As for why the show is closing after this season, hey folks. Sedgwick is a very talented and successful TV, film and stage actress, and doing a full blown TV series every year cuts into her ability to do other things. It's also true that people who ARE talented get tired of doing the same role after a few years.

December 17 2010 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michele

When they cancelled Saving Grace I said the Closer was next. The good ole boy's cannot handle a show with a STRONG woman lead.

December 17 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply