April 24, 2014

Got TV Questions? Leave Your 'Ask Mo' Queries Here!

by Maureen Ryan, posted Dec 14th 2010 2:00PM
It's been too long since I did the last Ask Mo column. So let's get one more done before 2010 ends!

Leave your questions in the comment area below or email me. If you left a question on a different post at some other point in time, don't assume that I will recall it. It's best to leave all queries on this post (or email me), and I'll try to get to as many questions as I can before the week is out.

By the way, previous Ask Mo columns are here, here, here and here (that last one is in podcast form, and it's also available on iTunes). It'd be great if you could check out those previous columns to see if your question was already answered at some point this fall.

Thanks!

Giles Bruce

Do you watch any reality shows? Which do you recommend?

December 16 2010 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Giles Bruce

Do you think another network - DirecTV 101 - will pick up "Terriers"?

December 16 2010 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dreyesbo

Hi Mo,

I've heard a lot about Parks and Recreation being one of the best comedies out there, even though it has a mediocre first season.

I don't like not watching every episode in a series, but in this case, do you think Season 1 is bad enough to do it? Does Season 2 makes the relationships and plotlines set up by Season 1, known to the new viewer?

Thanks

December 15 2010 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dreyesbo's comment
izikavazo

Personally I found season 1 pretty dull. Season 2 was a huge improvement and got better and better. But then when I watched the whole thing over again I was surprised at how much I missed the first time around. It's a great show and worth the effort. It's only 30 half-hour episodes.

December 15 2010 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl Brand

Mo,

Would also like to know what new shows in 2011 you know about or are coming up. I am excited about Alcatraz because of Jorge Garcia and JJ.

Also would love to know how you got started being a TV critic. Consider it your own LOST flashback episode.

December 15 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alison

Originally posted a bit late on the last post asking for questions:

Hi Mo! So I was thinking recently about all of the great TV that I'm watching this fall (Terriers, Community, and Fringe are probably my favorites right now) and realized the incredible lack of good shows on television with interesting female leads (and no, I don't count as "lead" a woman whose primary reason for existing on the show is as the love interest to the male protagonist who the show is really about) and representations of female community. Even with a show like Sons of Anarchy where there are complex, strong female characters, they exist in a show that is premised on a male-centric world. Olivia on Fringe might be an exception, but even there, both Olivias are operating in communities that are essentially male.

A friend who teaches film theory recently introduced me to the Bechdel test. While this couldn't be applied in the same way to TV as to movies (some weeks female characters will interact more than others), it is interesting to think about in regards to TV. I'm thinking about the scene in the season finale of Mad Men when Joan and Peggy share a scene reacting to the revelation of Don's engagement and how satisfying that scene felt (and even then, they're talking about a man).

Don't get me wrong; I love all of the "boy shows" that I've mentioned above or I wouldn't be watching them. Female presence and complexity is by no means a measure of a show's quality. And, as always, there are exceptions; this is more the sense of a trend than an across-the-board judgment. I guess my question is, where have the Veronica Mars's gone?

December 14 2010 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Siythe

What are the criteria for a successful UK show to be screened on US TV in its original format rather than as a remake?

To put it another way how come Luther and Sherlock got shown while Shameless and Skins got shoved through the same script new cast machine that's about to be sent up by Episodes?

December 14 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alchang8

One of my current favorite shows is Fringe, and I think it's kind of fun when they try to include some real science to ground the science fiction. However, as a chemist, it drives me slightly crazy when they get the details wrong. I also have similar reactions when watching shows like Bones or Castle (and it probably occurs on those CSI-like shows).

I realize it's silly and nitpicky to care that much, but I was wondering if you could offer any insight for how it works for Fringe and other sci-fi shows on the science front. Do they have a consultant, or are they randomly latching onto ideas they see and making up what they don't know?

December 14 2010 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

Any new shows you are looking forward to next year? Does next year in TV look more promising than this year? Do you think The Event will be cancelled? Any news on The Good Guys returning for a second season? I know it will be unlikely

December 14 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katie71483

Mo, you know I'm a huge fan of Supernatural and will continue to watch it as long as it is on the air. (I'm loyal that way, lol.) Is it unreasonable of me to want it to end after a strong sixth season (a la BSG) rather than see it become a shadow of itself (a la Veronica Mars)? I guess this is the end date question, just about a specific show instead of in general.

Have you heard any rumors about two of my favorite actors, Enver Gjokaj and Jason Dohring, making a return to t.v. any time soon?

December 14 2010 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt Notley

Are you as excited about Game of Thrones next year as I am?

December 14 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply