October 24, 2014

13 Mysteries of the Golden Globes

by Maureen Ryan, posted Dec 14th 2010 11:00AM
There are many enduring mysteries that surround the Golden Globes, starting with "What is the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and why won't this mysterious organization make its membership list public?"

Alas, the organization's doings and membership are shrouded in secrecy, and not everyone takes the group seriously, to put it mildly. Thanks to WikiLeaks, we now know more about how high-level diplomacy really works than we do about how and why Globes voters make the choices they make.

All we really know about the Globes is that the group's annual telecast is typically one of the more lively stops on the awards circuit. There aren't that many awards during the program, so it's a relatively zippy affair (unlike the ponderous Emmys). At the Globes, the stars all sit at big tables and, judging by some of the acceptance speeches, the famous people don't mind having a drink or three.

And that's fine with me, but the Globes nomination roster sometimes leaves me in need of alcoholic sustenance. Then again, the doings of most awards-giving groups usually leave me stumped for one reason or another. In fairness, the Globes have usually been more quick to recognize excellent new shows than the sclerotic Academy that gives out the Emmys, but this year's list of Globes nominees induced more head-scratching than usual.

Here's my baker's dozen of Globes Questions, in no particular order:

1. Not that she hasn't done great work every season, but why did Katey Sagal get nominated for the third season of FX's 'Sons of Anarchy,' when the previous season was much more of a showcase for her character, Gemma Teller-Morrow? (Follow-up: Why didn't Charlie Hunnam get a nomination for his terrific work in 'SOA'? The season was uneven but he was on fire throughout.)

2. Why didn't at least a few of the amazing 'Boardwalk Empire' supporting actors get nominated? This is a crime. It's probably because these actors aren't as well known, but Stephen Graham, Michael Stuhlbarg, Michael Shannon, Jack Huston and Michael K. Williams all had extremely terrific moments on screen. (One very strange thing about the 'Boardwalk Empire' nominations: Kelly Macdonald was nominated in the Supporting Actress category. That's odd, given that she's clearly a lead on the show, but I'm guessing that was a strategic decision on the part of HBO or Macdonald's handlers, who may have figured there was less competition in the supporting slot.)

3. So Piper Perabo of the very lightweight USA show 'Covert Affairs' was more deserving of a Best Actress in a Drama nomination than, say, Connie Britton of 'Friday Night Lights'? Amy Ryan of 'In Treatment'? The ladies of 'Damages'? Khandi Alexander or Melissa Leo of 'Treme'? Hold on, I feel an aneurysm coming on.

4. Speaking of aneurysms, why does the miniseries or movie category still exist? Frankly, it's debatable whether there are enough decent projects to fill up the category with worthy nominees. For the love of Pete, the terrible 'Pillars of the Earth' got three nominations (in the miniseries category and for actors Hayley Atwell and Ian McShane). Nobody recognizes McShane's brilliance more than me, but the miniseries was an abomination and it truly failed to use McShane's many gifts well.

5. But back to the topic at hand -- when will awards-giving bodies just dump the miniseries and movie category (I know, the answer is: "Never." Sigh.) Allow me to share with you the IMDb.com description of 'The Client List,' the Lifetime movie for which Jennifer Love Hewitt received a Globe nomination this year: "A former beauty queen is forced to take a job at a massage parlor when her family faces foreclosure on their home after her husband suffers an injury that keeps him from working. Unfortunately for her she soon learns that her clients expect more than a rubdown." Sounds every bit as wonderful and moving a 'Temple Grandin.'

6. Thanks to the best-drama nomination for 'The Walking Dead' (which frankly is a bit premature), will there be zombies on the red carpet this year? Please?

7. Why are some imports recognized and others not? It was heartening to see Idris Elba get a nod for his great work in the BBC America miniseries 'Luther,' but why didn't Benedict Cumberbatch or Martin Freeman get some love for 'Sherlock'?

Laura Linney8. What's the deal with 'The Big C'? I can understand the love for Laura Linney , who was nominated along with the Showtime "comedy" she stars in, but come on -- Linney's skills could not cover up the show's many flaws. I was also mystified when 'The Big C' got a Best TV of 2010 nod from an AFI panel over the weekend. Full disclosure: I served on that jury, but suffice to say, I didn't understand 'The Big C's' recognition in that case either.

9. What's the deal with Thomas Jane of 'Hung' being nominated? I think we can all think of comedic actors who deserve recognition more than the star of that HBO show. 'Modern Family,' 'Community,' 'Parks and Recreation,' 'Cougar Town' and the late lamented 'Better Off Ted' and 'Party Down' are chock-full of actors (male and female) who deserve a ton of praise and awards for their side-splitting work. Same goes for FX's 'Louie.'

10. Nothing for 'Friday Night Lights'? Nothing for 'Rubicon'? Matthew Fox and the entire cast of 'Lost' ignored? No love for 'Justified' or 'Terriers'? A shut-out for 'Men of a Certain Age'? Sadly, I expect wonderful genre fare such as 'Fringe,' 'Supernatural' 'Doctor Who' to be (unjustly) shunned by the major awards-giving bodies, but the total lack of love for those other dramas is a real drag. (For more on the Globes' snubs and surprises, check out this TV Squad roundup.)

11. Why are the Globes are suffering from Emmy Syndrome? That is, the Globes are nominating certain actors and shows for what feels like the hundreth time, apparently out of habit, even if those shows aren't nearly in their primes any more. There are too many examples of this unfortunate syndrome to list here.

12. When will 'Glee's' free ride end? Never? On the plus side, the Globes didn't nominate another very messy, very trendy show -- 'True Blood,' which had a very off season. But Come. On. 'Glee's' 15 minutes of overhyped, overheated attention won't ever end, apparently. As much as I love Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch's continually fine work, the nominations for Matthew Morrison and Lea Michele feel perfunctory, and there are quite a few shows more deserving of a best-comedy nod.

13. Am I only cranky about the Globes nominations? No. I'm pleased to see excellent actors from 'Mad Men,' 'Breaking Bad,' 'The Good Wife,' 'Boardwalk Empire,' 'Big Bang Theory,' 'Sons of Anarchy,' 'The Pacific,' 'United States of Tara,' 'Modern Family and 'Luther' get some love. Yes, awards shows and nomination are mostly an exercise in puffy hype, but they are good for one thing, in my view: Getting more attention for shows and performers who richly deserve that attention. All the shows I've mentioned in this paragraph were on my Top TV of 2010 List or on the Runners Up Roster, and if the Globes help these actors and shows get a little more recognition, I'm cool with that.

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.
Golden Globes 2012: Winners From the 69th Annual Awards Ceremony (PHOTOS)

George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, Uggie the Dog? The stars were out in full force at the 69th annual Golden...

source: Moviefone Blog
Uggie, 'Artist' Dog, Will Walk Golden Globes Red Carpet

Good news, Uggie fans! The scene-stealing Jack Russell terrier from "The Artist" will walk the red carpet at the...

source: Moviefone Blog
'Bridesmaids' Reality Check: Sarah Pease, Wedding Planner, Gives Skinny on Kristen Wiig Comedy

"Bridesmaids" is up for some big awards at Golden Globes ceremony tonight: Best Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical)...

source: Moviefone Blog

Garry

How to be nominated for a Golden Globe:
1. You or your flack bribe members of the HFPA with cash or free stuff, like junkets to Europe for the premiere of a movie. The producers of the flop movie "The Tourist" did that, sent the entire membership of the HFPA & it got nominations!

2. How to win a Golden Globe: See #1

December 16 2010 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M. G.

Eh, "Glee" hate is overdone and tired. No, it's not perfect and yes, it's inconsistent, but it IS entertaining. Let's all stop freaking out.

I was most shocked with the "TV Movie and/or Miniseries" category. They completely and utterly ingored "Sherlock," which, while a British production, DID air on PBS, so it should be eligible for consideration (like "Return to Cranford," which got a nomination). It's the most intriguing and entertaining crime show in years, and yet it gets utterly ignored. I wondered if they didn't give Benedict Cumberbatch a nom for his awesome turn as Sherlock because RDJ won for playing Holmes last year. It seems like something they'd do. Any other "Sherlock" fans want to put forth ideas?

December 14 2010 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to M. G.'s comment
Ms. Snark

Agree to your point about SPN, it was much better in years past but then it's still different, entertaining like True Blood. Glad I'm not the only one liking Scott Caan on Five-0 but then, probably why he's a standout. Didn't watch it, have to check out Sherlock.

December 15 2010 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John From Raleigh

Going down your list here are a few of my thoughts on specific items..

1) Couldn't agree more, Katey Sagal didn't have much to do this year as far as the story goes. However, the writers had many scenes where the other characters came to her for advice further advancing the notion she is the matriarch of the family but nothing award winning.

3) Glenn Close was very compelling in Damages this year. The plot which kept me guessing until the very end on both the main story and the subplot with her son. The way she set up her son's lover was incredible.

6) I loved Walking Dead, I just do not agree that six episodes is enough to base a "Best Drama Series" nomination on. Does anyone else think the entire cast would have been blown up at the CDC if the rating where poor? I wonder if they shot the finale that way or if they had enough advance notice the show was a hit before the sixth episode was shot.

9) When did "Hung" become a comedy? Especially this season. Plus, Thomas Jane plays the entire episode the the same down trodden look. Personally, it is the show I am most ashamed to admit I continue to watch. Thomas Jane probably got the nod due to a lack of lead actors to nominate, I can think of plenty supporting actors worthy but no leads. Even Joel Mchale would have been a better choice. He is not ready to win the award but better choice for the nomination.

10) I do feel bad Terry O'Quinn wasn't nominated because he carried the final season on his back and Michael Emerson was barely in the season. What did he really do this season except get beat up? Lastly, there were no nominations for "Lost" because the final season was a pathetic sham perpetrated on all of us who watched the first five seasons. I still burn with angry over the final season of Lost. Yes, I get the feel good aspect of the finale but the show was not about the characters through the first five seasons. It was how the characters interacted with this crazy island. Grey's Anatomy is a show about characters not a hospital, LA Law was a show about characters not a law firm. Lost was about the island's mysteries not the love triangle of Sawyer, Kate and Jack and the redemption of their souls. Based on the finale presented 6-10 episodes would have been enough to give us the feel good moment. But ABC spent the entire season promises more and more reveals and yet never delivered. Aaarrrggghhhhh, I am still mad.

11) I agree with you, the globes also seem slow to recognize new talent. Timothy Olyphant would have been a fine addition to best actor in a drama over Huge L. or Michael C. Hall this year. And after his incredible performance on the Shield I never thought I would consider Walton Goggins as anyone other then Shane but he has managed to pull it off. He is certainly better then Scott Caan in Hawii Five-O. Scott is playing the same character as he did in Entourage.

12) I am torn over your "hate" of Glee. I agree with you Glee doesn't deserve a best comedy nod but I don't think it is the over-hyped trash you think it is. Jane Lynches portrayal of Sue becomes more and more less one-note with each episode. Something the writers should be commended on, where as Jim Parsons wonderful portrayal of Sheldon is all one note. How much as Sheldon changed in 72 episodes? At what point do actors stop getting nominated for playing the same role over and over.

13) Cranky, I don't think so. You get paid to write about TV and express your opinion. Keep up the great work.

Love the Mo and Mo podcast by the way... Especially because it has become a forum for show runners to spend 30-40 minutes talking in depth about their show. Something I don't think any other medium would allow.

Marry Christmas / Happy Hanuka / Season Greeting Etc....

December 14 2010 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John From Raleigh's comment
Ms. Snark

Great comments and WORD to your #13, #3, and #10.. I don't let myself think about LOST and that's why, I'd still be mad over the waste of the last season and esp. the finale. But in its last year I'd have loved to see Terry O'Quinn get some overdo love.

December 15 2010 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ms. Snark

I don't watch Glee, but it's sorta nice to see someone calling it out as overhyped esp. when I read/hear plenty of negative criticism. LOST snubs are sad but sadly not surprising, as is love for Big Names in TV projects, just cause they know Linney, McShane and nominating shows and actors out of habit.

I HATE that genre shows like Supernatural, Vampire Diaries get overlooked unjustly just because, but it's worse when it's the GGs who at least sometimes think outside the box. The whole cast of Fringe is deserving, but John Noble deserves all the props there are. Alas no their "different" sort of picks is Piper Perabo, who is why I can't watch that show, and Scott Caan, as his bickering wife/partner is about the only entertaining thing on that predictable procedural.

Hopefully they still serve booze, sometimes makes the GGs watchable.

December 14 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ms. Snark's comment
M. G.

I do agree that genre TV needs more attention from awards shows but "Supernatural" deserved recognition about 2 seasons ago, not now (too much blah mythology and circular characterization).

And actually, Scott Caan is the best thing about "Hawaii Five-O."

December 14 2010 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
froggy2

I am getting REALLY sick of the "Jane and Chris are wonderful, Lea and Matt aren't" comments from TV critics, especially with regard to Lea Michele.

I could put together a reel for you from the back 9 of season one and the first half of season two of scenes (because that is what the Globes are covering) with Lea Michele which are FAR funnier than anything that Toni Collette (who I love), Edie Falco (who is great but should be in the drama category), Laura Linney (ditto) have done in the last year. Only Tiny Fey has been as funny/funnier than Lea.

Throw in some standout musical performances ( this is a comedy/musical category after all) - Run Joey Run (hilarious), I Dreamed a Dream, Poker Face, With You I'm Born Again (also hilarious) just to name a few and I have absolutely no problem seeing why Lea is nominated.

December 14 2010 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to froggy2's comment
trvlndsy

Thank you! Lea is actually a lot funnier than people give her credit for mostly because most of her funniest stuff can be kind of subtle despite her character being so over the top.

December 14 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amanda4801

Out of sight out of mind applies to Lost and Matthew Fox. It would have been great but I knew it wasn't going to happen. Fringe is going to be overlooked too, which sucks because it's the best show on tv right now in my book.

December 14 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trvlndsy

Yay! Another "expert" who loves to hate on 'Glee' while promoting shows that nobody watches. Reading critics bash 'Glee' while going on and on about shows like 'Party Down', 'Parks and Rec', and 'Terriers' is getting boring. You guys need to get over yourselves.

December 14 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to trvlndsy's comment
julieannebarton

Perhaps its time to form a new awards-giving group (no, not really, we don't need another)? BUT this new one would have to have rules like, "if you won last year, you cannot be nominated again;" "if your show has been nominated two years in a row and not won, you cannot be nominated again."

It would require people to really think and pay attention to what's out there.

December 14 2010 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kayteadee

Both the lead and supporting actress categories make my head hurt. Khandi Alexander and Melissa Leo were the two reasons why I stuck with Treme for the whole season.

I think Katey Sagal's nomination is similar to Judi Dench's Oscar nomination (and eventual win) for Shakespeare in Love. Sagal, like Dench, was wrongfully overlooked for the previous year's performance so they nominate her for best actress the following year to make up for the oversight.

December 14 2010 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kayteadee's comment
Gina

Katey was good this year, but last season was fantastic! Charlie Hunnam should have been nominated he hit it out of the park this season!

December 14 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Budo

Yikes. I had no idea you hated The Pillars of the Earth.

December 14 2010 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply