September 3, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Mark Wahlberg Bids Harry Smith Farewell by Kissing His Feet on 'The Early Show' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 15th 2010 12:06PM
Mark Wahlberg, 'The Early Show'With sweeping changes imminent on 'The Early Show' (Weekdays, 7AM on CBS), Mark Wahlberg today took full advantage of what might be his last opportunity to sit opposite host Harry Smith. CBS recently announced an overhaul of the on-air 'Early' team beginning in January 2011; Smith, who's been with the program since 2002, along with co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez and weather man Dave Price, will no longer be on the show.

Wahlberg was on hand to talk about his latest film, 'The Fighter,' which just picked up six Golden Globe nominations, including one for Best Actor Drama.

Smith ribbed Wahlberg lightly about his wild youth, but gave him credit for being so level-headed and responsible as his career has developed. "I really have been so blessed and so fortunate. I don't think that I'm entitled to any of this," Wahlberg said of his success. But then Wahlbeg turned the tables on Smith, sending the lovefest right back at the anchor.

Getting down on his hands and knees, Wahlberg said, "I gotta kiss the feet, 'cause I know you're going, and you're the best ever." He then did just that, as Smith howled in laughter. A warm embrace followed, showing genuine affection and mutual appreciation from both men.

It must be difficult to be in Smith's position, working out his contract like a lame duck politician, knowing that it's all coming to an end soon. But moments like this surely make it easier.

ransomml

I switch years ago after The Today Show (Curic's leaving) change their hosts and found (to my delight) The Morning Show. Without Smith, the Early Show has nothing left. Wonder who the networks think their true fans are of these shows? Housewives with little children running around? No, the multitude of our retirees (we all can't always be out on the golf coarse). We want dignified hosts (Smith), some humor (Price) and who doesn't like a pretty, intelligent LADY (Julie or Maggie). Goodbye CBS.

December 28 2010 at 3:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r gardner

Up until three years ago I would only watch channel NBC in the morning. Then by chance I watched CBS instead and really loved watching Harry Smith. I felt that he brought class, humor and interest to the early mornings. I now will switch between NBC and ABC. I do not think that I will even give CBS another chance, they lost my viewership

December 27 2010 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G. Dunford

Very disappointed about Harry leaving. Never was a huge fan of Maggie and Dave was ok, but his crazy brand of humor, simply lacked.
Harry I hope to see you around soon. You are true and genuine, a sweet spirit. I am planning on jumping the CBS morning show to another network as I have the news with Katie (save your money CBS and ax her)

December 27 2010 at 7:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis

I have never seen a news station fire and hire so much. It is so annoying. I was always a channel 2 news watcher, but I am getting tired of the constant changes WHOS GOING TO BE NEXT

December 22 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita M

I'm very upset to get the news about Harry, Maggy and Dave!! Are you nuts? you will loose me as a Early Show watcher Monday thru Friday, I never watch the Saturday show because Harry isn't on it. I will be watching the Today Show when Harry gets the boot SHAME! SHAME! ON YOU! WHY CAN'T YOU LEAVE A GOOD THING ALONE? IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!

December 15 2010 at 7:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rosa S Washington

Harry Smith gives CBS credibility. They are making a big mistake.

December 15 2010 at 6:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
June Regan

I have always felt a connection with Harry, he and "Andrea" both left Denver for the big city.
When I knew Andy from Wichita days and always loved her. She and my daughter Kathy were good fiends and we miss hearing from her.
Best to you..

December 15 2010 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sophia

I was very disappointed when Maggie left Florida, as she was hugely popular down here. She and Harry have done a great job on "The early show", and I think the people that made that decision will definitely wind up regretting it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 15 2010 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tanbiker2

One looks forward to the day Mark Wahlberg himself leaves this show and all others. Hopefully he will bend his head between his legs and kiss is backside goodbye. Wahlberg stinks.

December 15 2010 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tanbiker2's comment
CHUCK

i agree... Walberg stinks... what a bad actor,, and ass kisser,, and money hungerer... I avoid anything he does. Is it Jews pushing Jews in Hollywood ?

December 15 2010 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beedoobee

The Early Show is making a big mistake getting rid of Harry, Maggie & Dave. I echo what Joan Marie said - I will NOT watch the show once they leave. Harry is a class act. If you hang around outside the studio after the show, you get a mini-tour of the studio. The day I was there, there was no one to do the tour so Harry graciously stepped in and did it. I have a picture of myself with him that I will treasure.

December 15 2010 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to beedoobee's comment
rita cox

I agree 100000%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I LOVE Harry, Maggie, and Dave. They are part of our mornining family. CBS, I HOPE you regret this, cause you are gonna lose a lot of loyal daily viewers. It's not to late, don't let them GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 15 2010 at 8:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply