July 22, 2014

PTC Slams Sexualization of Teen Girls, Justin Timberlake Says He'd Join the 'SNL' Cast and More

by Jean Bentley, posted Dec 16th 2010 1:30PM
'The Vampire Diaries'The Parents Television Council is stirring up controversy again -- this time it's targeting the sexualization of teen girls on TV.

According to a Los Angeles Times report, "The results from this report show Tinseltown's eagerness to not only objectify and fetishize young girls, but to sexualize them in such a way that real teens are led to believe their sole value comes from their sexuality," PTC President Tim Winter said in a statement.

Among the shows the PTC examined are 'Two and a Half Men,' 'The Vampire Diaries,' 'Glee' and 'The Big Bang Theory.'

In other TV news ...

Justin Timberlake said he'd "absolutely" join the cast of 'Saturday Night Live.' The singer/actor said he'd love to sign a one- or two-year contract if someone offered. The star has frequently popped up in skits over the past few years. [Splitsider]

Leighton Meester clarified her statement that she'd leave 'Gossip Girl' in two years. "I honestly don't known what's going to happen. I love being on the show, so I can't predict the future," she said. [Access Hollywood]

Matthew Morrison is heading on tour -- without the rest of his 'Glee' castmates. The recent Golden Globe nominee will tour in support of his upcoming solo album once his Fox hit wraps filming on the second season. [Music Mix]

'Million Dollar Listing' is getting a new real estate agent. Chad Rogers has been booted, and Josh Altman will take his place. [EW]

Oxygen greenlighted a new competition reality show for tattoo artists. Called 'Best Ink,' the show will pit 12 artists against each other for a $100,000 prize. [The Hollywood Reporter]

A rabbi is suing Jimmy Kimmel for using is likeness without permission. Kimmel used a YouTube video of the New Yorker in an on-air joke about LeBron James. [Reuters]

Writers Jeremy Miller and Dan Cohn have signed on for two comedies. 'Rules for My Unborn Son' is set up at Fox, and about a 25-year-old who writes life lessons learned from his eccentric family. The second, 'Heavy and Rolling,' is being developed with executive producers Ryan Phillippe and Breckin Meyer for Showtime and about an identity-shifting town car driver in New York City. [Deadline]

Nickelodeon placed a season order for the new series 'Bucket and Skinner's Epic Adventures.' The show follows two BFF surfers and will premiere in January. [Variety]

Val

Yeah...only older women being sexualized by Charlie and other than the blond girl on Big Bang I only remember seeing nerdy girls portrayed. The PTC's need to get real. If teenage girls are being sexualized on TV - somewhere along the line a parent had to have permitted it and it had to get past the network censors.

December 17 2010 at 3:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Val

I don't recall seeing teenage girls being sexualized on Two and a Half Men or Big Bang Theory - maybe I missed something. I think the PTC should keep their nose out of TV business. They should be more concerned with the skimpy gym uniforms and the perv teachers some schools can't get rid of because of tenure.

December 17 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I would LOVE to see more of J.T. on SNL. I've never been a fan of his music (I'm more of a r&r girl myself) but I was very pleasantly surprised by his performance on the show. I think he may have a pretty strong talent for comedy that should be explored; and God knows, SNL needs all the talent they can get.

Anyone who takes airtime away from Kristen Wiig is welcome to me! Talk about dead weight.....

December 17 2010 at 9:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ttbsdmmg

I don't want to even entertain the notion of Justin Timberlake as a cast member of SNL. What has he really done that was funny that was not associated with The Lonely Island guys. If you put any other guy in those now legendary Digital Shorts (D*** in a Box, MotherLover)it would have been just as funny. I don't think he brought anything unique to those sketches. Unlike other 'honorary' cast members like Alec Baldwin, Christopher Walken, Steve Martin, Tom Hanks, and even John Goodman, Justin Timberlake can't hold a candle to their comedic talents. So go back and do what you know best Justin Timberlake...singing, dancing, and mediocre acting. Leave the comedy to the professionals!

December 17 2010 at 4:08 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ED

SNL should give the multi talented fellow a try. He's been great at everything he's done and this would add another item of note to his impressive list. Try him. He's an established big name and is extremely talented.

December 17 2010 at 12:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kevin

So some right-wing anti-sex group does a so-called "study" and I am supposed to give a damn. Once a female has matured sexually (i.e. is mensturating, has pubic hair and breasts etc.) they are sexually mature like the rest of us and will be "sexualized" (whatever that is supposed to mean) by the world around them. It is called nature, deal with it.

December 16 2010 at 10:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lita

I was never a fan of Justin Timberlake--don't care at all for his music--until I saw him on Saturday Night Live. He most certainly would be an asset to the show. The quality has been kindy of spotty for quite a few years, with the exception of the Weekend News segments which have remained consistently high, regardless of changes in personnel. SNL--sign up JT.

December 16 2010 at 8:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lita's comment
JMRR

I just don't think he's that funny. Sure, he's got charisma and even a goofy side, but that doesn't mean he has the chops to be a regular player. He shouldn't get the job just because of who he is, or because he's tight with Andy Samberg. There are a lot of talented sketch comedians who would cut off an appendage to land that gig.

Justin-come-lately need not apply.

December 16 2010 at 9:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cray

I don't get it, who in the world thinks that teenagers don't think about sex, drugs and romance? To make an assumption that teens are sexless monks or have zero interest in teen lifestyles is egregious offensive.

These shows, no matter how racy or provocative they may seem, are better than no shows at all. These shows are like trial runs for teens, they see the consequences of characters actions. They are not going to listen to Mom and Dad about sex, drugs and Romance.

These shows do not have to be redeeming, otherwise that would only encourage them to ignore the consequences of characters actions.

December 16 2010 at 6:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jake

This write-up is wrong. The ambiguity seems to stem from the LA Times article, but TV Squad, you should probably fix your write-up.

I looked at the actual report. The shows listed here (and lifted from the LA Times article) are only among the shows that the PTC analysts actually watched. They are not necessarily "offending" shows. They watched 14 shows, which included these and a few others (The Office, NCIS, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, The Vampire Diaries, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Family Guy, House, Glee, The Cleveland Show, American Dad, and The Simpsons). They do not present their findings by series, and they do not identify "egregious offenders." They only give aggregated statistical break-downs based on the total pool of 45 episodes watched.

The LA Times article and this one are incorrect and misstate the findings.

December 16 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I'm with Lisa: why on Earth is Big Bang Theory on this list? This is a real head-scratcher... Is it just because they don't like Chuck Lorre? There are no "young" girls on that show -- Kaley Cuoco is the only even marginally sexualized character, and (a) she is hardly over-sexualized and (b) neither she nor her character are even remotely a teenager.

Glee I agree with. Ryan Murphy writes these "kids" like the show is "Friends." I watch it and I enjoy it, but I wouldn't let my teen daughter (assuming I had one).

Can't comment on the rest as I don't watch them. Although, purely conceptually, 2.5 Men doesn't seem to make much sense, either... Unless the kid has inappropriately sexualized girlfriends?

December 16 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply