October 30, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jason Segel Cried When He 'Met' Kermit the Frog (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Dec 17th 2010 5:05AM
Jason Segel Talks Kermit on 'Tonight'Jason Segel has a particular affinity for puppets, as evidenced by the puppet version of "Dracula" in his 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' film. Now the 'How I Met Your Mother' actor is working on the next Muppets movie, and he's clearly the perfect adult for the job.

At the first script reading, the puppeteers brought their Muppets along, explained Segel on 'The Tonight Show' (weeknights, 11:35PM ET on NBC). Segel heard "Hi ho," turned and glimpsed Kermit the Frog and promptly broke down. "They had to stop because I started crying hysterically," chuckled Segel.

Why? "He was so beautiful!" Segel then went on to describe the magical spell puppets seem to cast on children, as they did on him as a child. "That's why I'm doing this movie," he said.

petey

Gag me with a spoon! I am so sick of all the crying,kissing,hugging,"men". Where the hell have all the REAL men gone?

December 17 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

For me, it was a combination of my parents and the
late great Jim Henson that put me under the spell
of The Muppets and Sesame Street for over 35 years,
and I still enjoy watching them on TV and YouTube,
today. This Christmas Eve, for example, I plan on
spending it by watching Elmo's Movie Merry-thon with
Elmo as the host. A 5-Hour block of movies starring
Elmo and his Sesame Street friends from 1:00 to 6:00pm
on Sprout, and later at 8:00pm, A Muppet Christmas
Carol on The Hub. Tonight at 8:00pm, in fact, The
Muppets Take Manhatten airs on The Hub, too. It's a
shame they couldn't get The Muppet Movie & The Great
Muppet Caper to air with them, but I'm always glad to
be spending each holiday season with The Muppets.
Good luck with the next Muppet Movie, Jason Segel.
I hope you'll do Jim Henson very proud.

December 17 2010 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Did Kermit see John Banhner too. He was crying the other day,

December 17 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MomHadIt

I know exactly how he felt. We went to Disneyland in CA when my son was a teenager. It was the first time I had ever been there. To share the first Disney parade with my son was so big that I started crying as the parade came by. It was so special. I understand crying when Kermit appeared.

December 17 2010 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I remember when Jim Henson died; I think it was Time Magazine that ran the best cover... It was a picture of Kermit the Frog sitting in Jim's director's chair, looking very sad & lonely, with a plain black background.
It was so sweet, and so sad, even tho Kermit is a puppet the picture made you feel like he was an actual person who missed his best friend terribly. That picture made me laugh & cry at the same time.

December 17 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Heather's comment
Heather

Actually I looked it up and it was LIFE magazine.

December 17 2010 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

Heather, I know exactly what you mean. Jim Henson and his team of amazing artists simply gave these lovable puppets a life of their own and made them real to us.

December 17 2010 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply