August 28, 2014

NBC Extends 'The Sing-Off' Finale by a Half Hour: UPDATE

by Catherine Lawson, posted Dec 17th 2010 4:40AM
UPDATED 12/17/10: NBC has tweaked its scheduling plans for Monday. 'The Sing-Off' finale will now remain two-hours long, the 'Perfect Couples' preview episode will air at 10 PM ET, followed by a repeat of 'The Office.'

Capitalizing on the newfound success of 'The Sing-Off' executives at NBC have decided to add a half hour to the season finale next week and use the show as a launching pad for new comedy 'Perfect Couples'.

According to Variety, the mammoth two-and-a-half hour Season 2 finale will lead into a preview episode of 'Perfect Couples.' Instead of airing the pilot, NBC will instead show an episode that execs felt is one of its strongest.

'Perfect Couples' will then premiere in January as planned. NBC successfully used this teaser strategy back in the fall to launch new drama 'Outlaw.'

By extending the finale and pairing it with 'Perfect Couples,' NBC has canned a repeat of 'Chuck' that was due to air at 10PM ET. 'Chuck' reruns scheduled for Dec. 27 have also been preempted, this time by a repeat of 'A Walk in My Shoes.'

Carried along on a wave of 'Glee'-mania, Season 2 of 'The Sing Off" has turned into a surprise hit for NBC this month. Monday night's episode set series records, garnering 9.5 million viewers and a solid 2.9/8 rating in the coveted age 18-49 demographic, which is a rise of 26 percent over Season 1.

Deadline.com reports that the success of 'The Sing-Off' is paying dividends for executive producer Joel Gallen, who's signed a one-year deal with Sony TV. The veteran producer, responsible for the 'MTV Movie Awards' and 'CNN Heroes,' said "I'm excited to be entrenched in the series business after so many years of focusing on Specials. ... I feel rejuvenated and look forward to developing and producing many more projects with Sony."

'Perfect Couples' follows three different couples with very different relationships, and it stars Kyle Bornheimer, Christine Woods, David Walton, Mary Elizabeth Ellis, Hayes MacArthur and Olivia Munn. You can see the first promo for the show here.

'The Sing-Off' Season 2 Finale will air Monday Dec. 20, 8PM ET on NBC.
'Perfect Couples' preview episode will air Monday Dec. 20, 10:30PM ET on NBC.

'Perfect Couples' will premiere, Thursday Jan. 20, 8:30PM ET on NBC

lita

So where the heck did all the television writers go? I miss the days when NBC was king of the comedies and of the dramas. And then they took off fine dramas (Mercy, Life, Journeyman, and others) without giving them time to find an audience. It took some iconic classics time to find an audience--M*A*S*H, All In the Family, among others. Here in the age of the short attention span, NBC now stands for Non-stop Broadcasting of Crap. There isn't much to watch there anymore. (Soon, Rod Blagojevich will have his own show on NBC.) I pretty much ignore the new season of ABC, CBS, and NBC; why bother?

December 16 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

I'm loving The Sing-Off! Greatly talented singers (STS FTW!) and some excellent commentary (sorry, Nicole), plus you don't have to wait weeks for the finale - yay!

December 16 2010 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LT

10 minutes of it was more than enough for me, it sucks. Only good thing about NBC is SVU and Jay Leno, nothing else.

December 16 2010 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sultry

I'm really liking "Sing Off"as a matter of fact I think it kicks Idol square in the azz and then twist it's foot for good measure. Sorry folks Idol will never make the ratings without Simon, and Paula's show better be lot better then So you think you can dance, or she be getting a foot squared as well.

December 16 2010 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony Minero

This is a great show. I wish it was on more.

December 16 2010 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JIM GUYNUP

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE COMMENTS THAT I JUST READ. 3 MILLION VIEWERS CANNOT BE WRONG. THE PEOPLE WHO MADE
THE COMMENTS SHOULD OBVIOUSLY HEAD TO THE NEAREST HEARING AID STORE! SING OUT REALLY HAS MADE MY HOLIDAY SPECIAL WITH REAL CLASS AND SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANY STUPID SITCOM OR VIOLENT CABLE SHOW.
NICOLE IS EXCELLENT AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN CHOSEN FOR IDOL INSTEAD OF JENNIFER LOPEZ.

December 16 2010 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

About 30 seconds of this show was enough for me. Producers should get new writers with new ideas. Actually they should bring back the "TEST PATTERN" With todays programing I really miss the test pattern. Since I have been able to get on line I do not watch much T V anymore. Sometimes I watch reruns of Andy Griffith that I find somewhat entertaining.

December 16 2010 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cocointaco

It's too bad this show sucks because they really have some good talent on there. But it is so hard to sit through Nicole Shotslingers commentary. She can't even articulate a complete sentence! Way worse than Paula...

December 16 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cocointaco's comment
New York

I find the show refreshing & the talent outstanding. Sure beats those horrible reality shows. They were getting too depressing & so fake. I think the networks can find a way to invest their money & our precious time.

December 16 2010 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat L.

Well when you have to fill air space and you have nothing else I guess it makes sense. But why can't NBC take a page from the cable networks and produce shows like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, and even Fringe. These shows are great so why can't NBC take a lesson.

December 16 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pugz

no wonder NBC has to rely on fake news and blow-hard commentators to get ratings,these shows SUCK!!!!!

December 16 2010 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply