April 20, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A Very Bad Dad? The Supernanny Calls a Father 'Ignorant' and 'Pathetic' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 20th 2010 12:11AM
A Very Bad Dad?  The Supernanny Calls a Father 'Ignorant' and 'Pathetic' In order to raise kids, you need to be a grown-up yourself. But on the new 'Supernanny' (Fri., 8PM ET on ABC), Jo Frost encounters a very non-grown-up dad when she visits the Fernandez family.

Jerald and Marla Fernandez were high school sweethearts. But things aren't working out so well these days. The couple has three children: Desiree, 12, Elias, 5 and Eulisis, 3. The boys are out of control -- they scream and kick, and a trip to the store with them can be a disaster. Meanwhile, daughter Desiree's grades are slipping.

Through it all, dad Jerald just sits in his chair and smirks. He has a relaxed attitude. Or does he just have an "uncaring" attitude?

While talking with Jo Frost, Jerald expresses his parenting philosophy. He says this about his kids' behavior: "I'm just hoping they grow out of it, I guess." Jo is not pleased. " ... Excuse me?" she says.

Jo calls Jerald's attitude "ignorant," "immature" and "pathetic." Meanwhile, Jerald's wife Marla sits next to him, suffering in silence. Jerald refuses to give Marla any praise -- although she takes care of all the housework and the child-rearing duties. In fact, Jerald is ready to consider divorce before he'll consider helping out around the house. "If she's not happy with me, if she'd like me to go ... I will go," he says. " ... Excuse me?" Jo says again.

Kay

I see so many parents like this father. They just ignore their children's bad behavior when out in public. I don't care what they do at home, but I for one, do not want to listen to them scream in the grocery store because they want this and that, or watch them run around in a restaurant! My children never did that and neither have my grandchildren. It is because we raise them to respect others. They are told before we enter a store what we are going for and I do not want to hear, "I want this or that!" Same in a restaurant, doesn't matter if it is McDonalds or a nicer eatery, they all knew to behave. And no I did not have to threaten them or spank them. I have friends who allow their children to act up in stores, I cringe everytime I go with them, but I try to help by explaining to the girls that it is not polite to act that way. And guess what, they are getting much better when we go together! Education Is The Answer! Educate your children on how to behave properly!

December 20 2010 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MotorCityMama

Typical black man.

December 20 2010 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

These kids don't need a supernany. These brats need a super slap every time thay act up. You warn then twice then slap. They learn very fast whos in charge and its NOT them. I see many times the kids tell the parents to jump and the parents say how high honey. Awful to see the kids control the parents. If the parents came down on them they won't be suuch animals...

December 20 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jerry l

He is too short sighted to see that he is the loser in all of this. He is losing the love of his wife and the love of and bonding with his children. Beyond a certain age and that life-line connection with his children is gone for them. His wife should cut her losses and go. PS, I am a 68 year old male BTW.

December 20 2010 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

Sounds like he doesn't deserve a good woman. What a prick.

December 20 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

People really need to get a grip.It's a TV show.There is a script.These so-called reality shows are NOT reality.Remember some people actually think wrestling is real.
As for Sharpton I will call him the "N" word and the "N" stands for "NUT".He calls for violence anytime he is out marching for whatever cause is popular in the news.Remember his mantra is "no justice no peace".He says it all the time and it's on his web site.Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you are a nut.

December 20 2010 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
neko

just another usless ni**er

December 20 2010 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toothis

Many black dads don't care about their kids. Obama's dad was one of them. What's the story here?

December 20 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazzie30

Married... divorced... separated... never together... what does any relationship status have to do with a man's parental duty? Once you're a father, you're always a father. There is no you in the formula of life anymore. There is always at least one other person standing beside you in that equation. Always. Own that. And never leave that behind.

financial help

December 20 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LimeysRgay

Al Sharptongue looks sickly. All the evil that he has been dredging up over the years finally caught up with him. I'm glad to see he's not doing well.

December 20 2010 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply