July 29, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'The Sing-Off' Finale: And the Winner Is... (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 21st 2010 12:27AM
'The Sing-Off' Finale:  And the Winner Is...Well, it's that time already. It's the final countdown. After a mere two weeks, we've reached the finale of 'The Sing-Off' (Mon., 8PM ET on NBC). Heading into the finals, only four groups remained. All of them were battling it out for $100,000 and a recording contract. But who would make the cut?

First to be eliminated was Talk of the Town, led by 66-year-old Jerry Lawson, who has been singing a cappella for over forty years. The Backbeats -- the only group in the finals with any female singers -- were the next to go home.

This set up an all-male, all-Southern battle for grand prize. Two groups remained: Committed, from Huntsville, Alabama, and Street Corner Symphony, from Nashville, Tennessee.

And the winner of 'The Sing-Off' was ...

... Committed! The six-man group took home the $100,000 prize and the Sony recording contract. Streamers fell, as family members tried to hold back tears. Lead vocalist Theron "Terry" Thomas Jr. accepted the trophy from Nick Lachey. "It's been a great journey," he said. "We owe all this to God."

His victory message hinted at the group's past: they began as a quartet, singing gospel songs at a boarding school in Florida. All six members currently attend Oakwood University, a Christian college in Huntsville. But their winning song was decidedly secular -- their last performace in the contest was 'Hold My Hand,' featuring Michael Jackson and rapper Akon.

After accepting the trophy, Committed closed out the season. They launched into a rendition of 'We Are the Champions,' by Queen, as all the year's contestants flooded onto the stage. And that was the end of 'The Sing-Off,' season two! This year, the series became an unexpected success -- but what did you think of the reality show? And do you think the right group won?

Paul

I knew Committed would win from the beginning even though I wanted The Backbeats to win. In the end, it all comes down to what style you prefer. They were all good with what they do, but you can't beat the style.

Jerry Lawson and The Talk of the Town was never going to win it even though they were incredible. They just didn't have a popular style to win a popular vote.

And guess who votes most on these shows? Female audience members gawking over the hot guys. So yeah, it wasn't a surprise to me that Street Corner Symphony and Committed were the final two. I did prefer Committed over Street Corner because I love the harmonies Committed dropped throughout. They were to die for. But Street Corner did have a much more cohesive sound.

I have no problems with any of the four groups to be in the final two. I understand the reality of popular music. The Backbeats felt Broadway-ish even though they didn't sing Broadway. It had to do with the diversity of the members and their versatility, which is partly why I liked them so much but knew they couldn't win. This diverse cast isn't going to win over a branded image like the cool hip rockish southern group of Street Corner Symphony or the hot R&B soul gospel group of Committed. It's never going to happen. If you noticed how the judges talked about each group, they knew that but they held back these comments. They couldn't place the group as a whole as anything but they were reluctant to comment on that because The Backbeats really had some strong versatile musicians in that group and delivered great performances.

As for the comment for Groove For Thoughts, I understand the previous commenter's frustration, but the group messed up. It was their fault. They really did mess up with their choice and performance that round. They played it safe with their Rock choice and the daughter made a major mistake and it cost them. That was the only reason why they got knocked out. She was amazing but she did stumble at the end of her song. I was rooting for that group too. But the judges had to be fair. They can't judge based who which group is theoretically better. They have to judge the performance that was delivered. I thought the judges were spot on and still kind and nice every single time and I'm a musician myself. I think this show by far is the best singing show I have ever seen on US air and even on TV from other parts of the world.

Kudos to Sing-off. I'm looking forward to a Season 3. I hope they do one.

December 23 2010 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toughhombre

What a travesty. Committed were pretty good but the Street Corner Symphony were incredible. There was no comparison in the pitch, harmony, style and vocal ability between the two groups. Symphony had it ten times over. I can't help but think these so called "talent contests" are fixed. Even the judges gave way more praise to Symphony than Committed. Sorry, but I just an not buying the fairness thing.

December 21 2010 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Committed was the clear favorite from the beginning. You could always tell that from the tone of the judging. They deserved to win but they weren't the best musicians. That honor had to go to Street Corner Symphony with Groove for Thought close behind. When the Backbeats were chosen over Groove for Thought I almost quit watching. Had it not been for the variety and creativity that SCS brought I might have done just that. Committed didn't really show a lot of versatility but they were truly great at what they do but it was always the same. I think they struggle with things other than R&B and gospel inspired music. I hope they do it again next year without Nick Lachey and Nicole. I'd like to see more AI type judging without the AI condescension.

December 21 2010 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kamkort

I knew that Committed would win from the first note they sang! They should have given them a check the first night. Don't get me wrong, the other groups were great. Committed was just in another category. It was like putting the Lakers against a college team. Congrats!

December 21 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kamkort

December 21 2010 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

I never liked Committed. I'm sorry that Street Corner Symphony didn't win.

December 21 2010 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy Williams

This was the best show I have seen in a long time. I could accept all of the contestants because they were all great. I was especially impressed with the judges. They were right on point, knowledgeable and kind. I think this has to do with the fact that they really knew what they were talking about. When they each joined a different group for the final show, that was the ultimate test of class. It was an absolute pleasure watching such class acts.

December 21 2010 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

The right two groups stood at the end and I think Committed was a good choice. Committed was a personal favorite but I would not have been too sad if it had gone the other way. This was such a great show. Bring on more! What happened to Lachey last night? For once he had personality, good for him.

December 21 2010 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis

The best group won!! THEY WERE GREAT !!! Congrats fellow Alabamians!!

December 21 2010 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Think the show was very entertaining this season (as was season 1). It's the only talent competition tv show I watch. Voted for The Backbeats but can't argue with the winner (or runner-up for that matter).

December 21 2010 at 4:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply