September 3, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Kathie Lee and Hoda Explain How the Alcohol Started Flowing on 'Today' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Dec 29th 2010 12:25PM
Hoda Kotb & Kathie Lee Gifford, 'Today'At last, the secret stands revealed! And we didn't even have to buy a special Blu-Ray set of the best of the 'Today' (Weekdays, 7AM on NBC) show's fourth hour, complete with a set of wine glasses to start off your morning right. Instead, Kathie Lee Gifford just abruptly announced that for year-end, they should reveal the genesis of the booze on the set of the fourth hour.

"People do ask us that more than anything," co-host Hoda Kotb admitted. Could they have been, perhaps, following our own TVR Awards?

"And it's been blown out of proportion," Gifford added, no doubt referencing at least in part the various skits of them performed on 'Saturday Night Live.' Ironically, if you watched Gifford throughout this explanation, it didn't look like Kristen Wiig was exaggerating those facial expressions as much as we might have thought in her 'SNL' parody.

"We didn't have a drop of alcohol at all on our show," Kotb said, "Until someone named Chelsea Handler came to visit." Handler was on to promote her book 'Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea,' and so they decided to have a drink on set for her.

"Our producers concocted a couple of concoctions for her to concoct," Gifford said with a laugh.

Basically, they had so much fun that day with alcohol on the set that it's since become a signature staple of the show. Clearly the audience response has been positive as well, or they wouldn't still be doing it. If, however, you aren't a fan, you now know who to direct your dissatisfaction toward.

"It's all Chelsea Handler's fault," Gifford concluded.

kindspiritgreen

I really dislike seeing the glasses of wine on the set every day. It sends a message that it's OK to drink early in the day and I find it offensive, often changing channels. WHY do you feel it necessary to drink on the job? Are you alcoholics? Hey, I'm all for a good time, but you need to save this drinking for after your show. I'm sick of seeing this kind of promoting of alcohol. Besides that, if you drink alcohol every morning, you are on the way to aging and damaging your skin and rest of your body. You look a lot older than you are. Sorry, but it's the truth.

May 09 2013 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jane

Their conversation is boring and points mostly at their personal lives,too self serving. Does alcohol always have to be present on every show? Turns me off. KL uses Hoda as her pick-on person, not funny. This replaces lact of talent and humor, I guess.

December 30 2010 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DecaturDog

Hoda is a very plain woman who has no talent whatsoever and yet is still on TV?

December 30 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DecaturDog

Two enormously untalented and plain women hope that by drinking we might think they have one ounce of attrativeness? There's not enough wine in the world to make these two hens attractive (except, of course, in their own tiny minds).

December 30 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judym

Agree with ALL the negative comments. KLG and Hoda are annoying, obnoxious and I refuse to watch. I simply do not watch the Today at all anymore.

December 30 2010 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracy

I work during the day so don't get to watch them. Watched them the other morning for the first time. As soon as the show ended I turned to my mother and said "well, that was a complete waste of an hour". It is like nails on a chalkboard or better yet...a train wreck! I kept watching to see if it would get better and guess what!?!....it NEVER did!

December 30 2010 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

It's the only part of the Today show that I watch--they are entertaining and funny--love them together! Admit KLG can be annoying but Hoda is awesome. For all you uptight whiners--you OBVIOUSLY watch too--agree w/ ne--definitely some butt sticks in the audience--plus you are CLOSET FANS. Cheers!

December 30 2010 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Orpah

Who cares? AOL can find some of the most boring
things to show. I never could stand Kathy Gifford and don't know and don't care, who Hoda is.

Can't NBC find more talent than this? I have
NEVER watched them.

December 30 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S.

Who cares? These two are about as entertaining as a skin disease. Pathetic that this is what passes as TV news. No wonder the networks have been losing audiences to cable for years.

December 30 2010 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply