April 17, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

On '16 and Pregnant,' Ashley Is Reunited With the Baby That She Gave Away (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 29th 2010 3:09AM
On '16 and Pregnant,'  Ashley Is Reunited With the Baby That She Gave Away When you're pregnant and have just entered your teenage years, all choices must seem like hard choices. And on '16 and Pregnant,' high school senior Ashley Salazar has to deal with the consequences of her choice.

Ashley lives in a suburb of Dallas, Texas. She has dreams of moving to Manhattan and becoming a photojournalist. But those dreams changed, once Ashley became pregnant at sixteen. Justin, her ex-boyfriend, didn't stick around -- so Ashley made the hard decision to give up her daughter Callie for adoption.

On the new episode (Tue., 10PM ET on MTV), Ashley got to hold her daughter for the first time in months. After giving birth, Ashley gave up Callie, letting her aunt and uncle care for the child. She went on to pursue her dreams of attending college in New York City. But did Ashley make the right choice? And was there ever a one hundred percent "right" choice for the teen to make?

Dr. Drew Pinsky hosted the reunion special. The family members -- including Lisa and Kenny, the aunt and uncle who now care for the child -- discussed the consequences of Ashley's choice. The sixteen-year-old originally gave Callie to her relatives, then changed her mind a day later. But after a month of trying to raise her daughter while still going to school and applying to colleges, Ashley decided that the task was overwhelming.

And so, she gave Callie back to her relatives -- with a promise that no more switches would be made. During the reunion, there was some laughter, some sadness, and also some tears. What do you think of Ashley's decision?

J9

To David S., How exactly is raising a baby that you created a punishment? Adoptions is a beautiful thing and my point was that so many young women do get pregnant because they know they won't have to assume any responsibilities for their actions as you put it taking care of her own baby would be punishment. In those cases adoption is the way to go becasue every child or baby in this world deserves to be loved.

December 30 2010 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
latinafemme

I DONT KNOW WHERE WOMEN GET THE ENGERY TO TAKE CARE OF BABIES GO TO WORK, TAKE CARE OF THE HOUSE AND THEN TAKE CARE OF THE THOSE BASTARDS MEN. I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF WORLD WE LIVE IN. NO WONDER WOMEN GET OLD AND TIRED AT AN EARLY AGE. IT NOT BAD ENOUGHT THAT YOU END UP WITH UGLY WRINKLE BELLIES AND THEY YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THOSE UGLY MEN TOO?? THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY WHEN THOSE BASTARDS WALK OUT THE DOOR TO MAKE SOME OTHER WOMEN UGLY.

December 30 2010 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
latinafemme

AT 16 PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HAVE SEX. I DONT THINK IT WAS A BIG DEAL THAT SHE GAVE HER KID TO HER FAMILY MEMBER. WHAT THEY SHOULD'VE DONE IS TAKE CARE OF THE KID UNTIL THE MOTHER OR FATHER GROWS UP AND IS ABLE TO DO IT ON THEIR OWN, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH A CLOSE FAMILY MEMBER HELPING OUT SOMEONE WHO IS IN NEED. I DONT KNOW WHY HER FAMILY WAS ACTING SO DISTANCE. SHE SHOUULD'VE BEEN ABLE TO SEE HER CHILD AS MUCH AS SHE WANTED AND IF SHE FELT SHE WAS READY THAN GIVE IT BACK TO HER. ITS NOT THE FIRST PERSON TO HAVE A KID AT 16, PLEASE SUCH A BIG DEAL, I THINK THE MOTHER IS A LITTLE HEARTLESS BECAUSE THEY HAD SEX SHE AND THE FATHER SHOULD TAKE RESPONIBLITIY. I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE ALWAYS LET MEN OFF THE HOOK AND BLAME THE MOTHERS ONLY. THAT'S WHY THOSE F**KING MEN GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING. WHY DONT WOMEN STOP PROTECTING MEN AND MAKE THEM TAKE RESPONIBLITIY, EVERYBODY IS ALWAYS BLAMING THE WOMEN. IF I WAS HER AND ALL THOSE OTHER YOUNG LADIES THEY SHOULD GIVE THE BABIES TO THEIR FATHER AND LET THEM HANDLE IT. WHY GO THROUGH ALL THAT BY YOURSELF WHEN IT TOOK TWO TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. YOU KNOW WHY BECAUSE THOSE STUPID WOMEN SIT AROUND AND DO NOTHING WHEN MEN ACT LIKE LIITLE BOYS AND DON'T WANT ANY PART OF IT. THE F**KING FATHER KEEP HANGING OUT WITH THEIR FRIENDS AND THE MOTHERS ARE ALWAYS STUCK. WOMEN ALWAYS TAKING CARE OF MEN AND LETTING THEM OFF THE HOOK, DUMB THE KID ON HIS LAP!!! AFTER THEY GET THEM FAT AND UGLY THEY DUMB, THIS IS A PREETY WORLD. WHY ARE WOMEN ALWAYS SLAVING AFTER MEN?? I'M SO HAPPY THAT I'M A LESBIAN AND DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS CRAP.

December 30 2010 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

I think some of these comments are crazy, coming from someone who is a single parent, i know how hard it is, i was 19 when i got pregnant and i think if i was younger i wouldnt of kept my son because i wasnt ready but @ 19 i still wasnt ready but i grew up fast i think she did the right thing for herself, she tried and knew she couldnt do it. also my sons father isnt in his life and yes i get state help but i also work a full time job, sometimes you need help so dont put me in a category with people who abuse the system.

December 29 2010 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SDye2007

I have different views on this. On one hand, I dont believe these teens should be paid for doing this show. It does come across in ways as them being paid for being irresponsible and not using BC. BUT, on the other hand, they are willing to let us all into their very personal lives and see their hardships and their mistakes theyve made and some of the these girls may be very sincere in trying to help other teens NOT make those same mistakes. So, compensating them to a degree and helping them to take care of that child may not be such a bad thing after all. The spoiled bratty ones who dont want to take care of the child and the parents end up caring for them for the most part, should NOT get paid in my opinion. But Farrah, Macy, those from the last season, are working hard, have jobs and are taking responsibility for their actions! I'm a mommy to two beautiful girls and I cant imagine having them at such a young age but I know that I couldnt part with one, then take it back, then give it away AGAIN. That part is disturbing to me, but the mind of a teenager works alot differently than us mature adults. I say cut them SOME slack but not too much or they'll never learn. Compensate them SOME for letting us into their lives, but lets not make them rich and famous!

December 29 2010 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
XLMB

There was an episode many years ago on South Park where they made fun of the Mormons a.k.a. Latter Day Saints and they made up some song where the chorus went "dumb de dumb dumb dumb" (No offense to Mormons. I was born and raised Mormon and just found it to funny. Although haven't been active in a million years.) Maybe that should be the opening song to this reality show. I watch it when I'm bored just to laugh at them.

December 29 2010 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kgraham34@cox.net

Typical teen gets pregnant, guy dumps girl, girl doesn't make guy responsible. So, the state (us) have to foot the bill to raise child. What is wrong with this picture?

December 29 2010 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J9

It is my firm belief that if you are mature enough to get into bed with someone and that ends up in creating a human life then you should be mature enough to step up and raise that baby. Sounds like she would have had help with raising her daughter so why not just keep her so when she grows up she knows that she came first and she wasn't just a mistake that she wasn't prepared to deal with.

December 29 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to J9's comment
David S.

Exactly what is wrong with giving a baby up for adoption exactly? Giving a child up for adoption is one of the most unselfish things any woman can do. Seems to me what you want is for the girl to be punished and have to raise her baby?

December 30 2010 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beckytckr

I'm very proud of the unselfish act of Ashley. I've known FAR too many young girls who get pregnant too young with the the daddy out of the picture. They stay with their parents, continue to act out and party...sometimes getting pregnant again...and never put the baby first. Ashley realized she was not ready for the responsibilty, but her Aunt and Uncle would be wonderful parents for her daughter. Good choice, hard choice, good girl!
Is this solution ideal? No, of course not. Ideal would have been for Ashley to have been more responsible earlier. But, no one is perfect. We all err (even you).
So many of our citizens are going to Russia, China, Africa to be able to adopt babies. Infertility is rampant among so many in the USA. Babies are life's greatest gifts to so many responsible, stable adults. To allow adoption is a blessing to the birth mother, the baby, and the adoptive parents.
Young ladies, don't be afraid of allowing adoption. You will be giving the greatest gift of all to another family, and the time will still come when you are ready to have a child with the man of your dreams. Then, you will give thanks for both this baby, and for allowing a couple (stable and with love to share, as you will be then)to give your baby what you could not. Both the child you have and the child you had will rise up and call you "blessed".
Any mean comments here, brush them off. You did the right thing for all of you. Your "other" time will come, and you'll be ready and happy.

December 29 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Granny

AS an adoptive mother, words fail me on this crap. I really can't put what I am feeling and thinking on here, I might end up in lock up.

December 29 2010 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply