July 22, 2014

'Stargate: Universe' Cancellation Puts Kibosh on 'Atlantis' Film

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 30th 2010 12:02PM
Stargate UniverseA new casualty of 'Stargate: Universe's' cancellation has emerged: the planned 'Stargate: Atlantis' DVD movie.

Executive producer Joseph Mallozzi took to his blog to answer fan questions and shared the news.

"I'm sorry to say but the cancellation puts the brakes on whatever progress the 'SGA' movie had made in the past month, shelving it indefinitely," Mallozzi wrote.

"The cancellation of 'SGU' is very bad news for those looking forward to an 'Atlantis' movie," he said.

Syfy pulled the plug on 'SGU' in early December. The remaining episodes will air as planned in the spring.

Mallozzi said plans for a new 'Stargate' series are off the table for now, as are the films, but a new show isn't out of the question.

"A new 'Stargate' series isn't even being considered," he wrote. "As for a totally new show -- I can't speak for [creators] Brad [Wright] and Robert [Cooper], but I'd certainly love to set up a new (non-'Stargate'-related) show somewhere down the line. But given recent developments, I'm thinking that won't be for quite a while."

Tell us: Would you buy a 'SGA' movie on DVD?

Scott

I would be very disappointed if the Stargate saga comes to an end. I loved all the series and could never understand why Atlantis ended. To end it all would be a very poor decision and would piss of a large fan base.

May 05 2011 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big Boss

I always thought SGU was to smart for the general public. If you have to have resolution at the end of every episode and "comic relief" then you don't get science fiction. I know the almighty dollar always wins But to lose such a great show to "rastlin" is another indicator that the public is getting dummer. SGU is my favorite show on tv. If it wasnt for auto racing I would cancel my cable.

April 12 2011 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I hope it was cancelled in order to start a new Stargate Series of some kind :)

April 10 2011 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rabbitsden

I am just now reading that Stargate Universe has been canceled. I will be polite and just say that realy upsets me. I have been a SiFy fan since the pilot of Star Trek. I have followed the Stargate series since the first episode of SG1. I was very excided when I discovered Stargate Universe was showing on regular broadcast TV. Come on people wake up. I don't why SGU has been canceled, but it is a crying shame. And yes I would buy any DVD move of any of the Sargate versions.

March 31 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Petie

this really makes me mad i love stargate i'v bin watching it since SG1 came out and never missed one now there canceling SGU and SGA movie there is no good syfy get your act together

February 01 2011 at 4:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kasm67

They need to take a lesson from Star Trek...Original ST was amazing, Next Generation was long anticipated, well received and ran 7 years, both had successful movies. The 3rd Star Trek, Deep Space 9, was dark like Universe, and had a smaller, but very fanatic fan base. Star Trek Voyager did well also. Enterprise was a not so successful. I believe they are prematurely pulling the plug on Universe and most definitely need to develop a a 4th Stargate series. They need to go back to character development and good old exploration episodes. They also need to give series a little time and not be so greedy with their viewer shares...more shows, more networks, less shares! Please don't let Stargate end this way.

January 24 2011 at 9:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
James Bird

I would buy a new SGA film, I certainly hope the stargate franchise doesn't end like this.

January 07 2011 at 4:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
raeshelle cousineau

I watched all the stargate sg-1 and atlantis episodes when they first aired. Now since watching Stargate Universe I have gone back to watch them all again on Netflix. I love all three shows. My husband and I are very upset that they canceled universe. We would watch it together every tuesday night after the kids went to bed. We own both of the Stargate movies and we would definitly buy the Atlantis movie as soon as it would have come out in stores. I know tons of people here who enjoy watching both the Stargate tv shows and the movies. I think they really need to reconsider the cancellation of Universe and the Atlantis movie. SG1 ran for ten years. There are always going to be die hard fans out there. SyFy don't let us down like this.

January 06 2011 at 9:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Perez

Hell yeah I would buy it! These people that are killing all the good shows are not looking at the big picture. they need to pull their heads out of their rears and bring both SGA and SGU back.
that is a bunch of BS, cancel my shows I will boycott the crappy shows you replace them with!

January 05 2011 at 2:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
domdom

It's really a shame to see JM acting like this.Yes sgu was cancelled coz lack of rating or audience.He should admit his own mistake.I heard Syfy remain interested in SGA movie.JM know nothing.Despite the rates he seems to be surprised Syfy cancelled sgu when SGA had 1.6 in its last season sgu only got 1.0.BW and JM made wrong choice.I don't see how these people could push again sgu in other format direct DVDs or on other channel when this last series is not enough profitable.Audience desperately down poor sales rates around the world down too.
The future of the franchise will go through 4th series or mini series or SGA movie.The only ones that don't see this are JM and BW who will never admit their mistakes.This looks like bitterness and some stupid vengeance.
These people produced series to entertain people and they failed this time.
JM announced over his blog we'd know at the end of the last week if sgu would have found another way.And as usual nothing came.
In addition JM and BW have never fought or made something to keep alive the hope to get SGA movie so nothing has changed.
They forget SG franchise belong to MGM not to them.If MGM/Spyglass want SGA movie they will produce it.Despite what JM said it will be probably with new producer new crew.He has only worries about his job not about the franchise and never about SGA movie.
I don't see why sgu cancellation would change the progress made in the past months when sgu was below 1.0.
It's just another propaganda and lie.
To be fair I'd prefer to watch and buy SGA movie with another producers not these ones that just killed in only 2 years the most successful sci-fi franchise.:(

January 04 2011 at 11:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply