October 25, 2014

'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood's Real MTV Salary: $280,000

by Chris Harnick, posted Dec 30th 2010 10:00AM
Amber PortwoodAmber Portwood, star of MTV's 'Teen Mom' makes $280,000 a year. We'll give you a minute to digest that fact.

Ready? OK, good. According to HollywoodLife, the young mother was forced to reveal her salary during an appearance before a judge following her release on a $5,000 bond. Portwood was jailed for 24-hours after being charged with two felony domestic battery counts, a felony count of neglect of a dependent and one misdemeanor of domestic violence and battery.

During the course of shooting 'Teen Mom,' MTV cameras captured Portwood hitting Gary Shirley, her ex-fiancee and father of her child. Currently, Portwood is barred from seeing Shirley, but according to E! Online, Shirley is fighting to have the protective order overturned.

According to the report, Portwood stated her occupation was being a "television personality." When asked to reveal her salary, her lawyer objected, but was overruled. The Herald Bulletin, a newspaper in Indiana, reported Portwood makes $140,000 with a six-month MTV contract. She makes $280,000 annually.

So, where did this $280,000 come from? Earlier this year it was reported the teen stars of the hit MTV show make around $60,000-65,000 for an 11-episode season. Our own Jean Bentley wondered where all that money was going since the young women always appeared to be broke. A fund for the child?

'Teen Mom' pulls in big ratings for MTV, second only to 'Jersey Shore.' Snooki, The Situation and the rest of the 'Jersey' crew pull in $30,000 per episode.

Tell us: Do you think it's a fair salary?

Abby Michel

Wait, you're claiming to be the same as amber? You beat people up in front of your daughter? Then nobody feels bad for you dear.......ONLY when you can control your harsh emotions, especially in front of your child, do you deserve custody of her. Until then, GROW UP and stop thinking the world is going to feel sorry for you because you're a crappy mother.

January 29 2012 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Orgullo Mexicano

why poor amber, no one did her wrong but herself plain and simple when you become a mother or father at a young age that's when you need to become the adult. yes, i can say something like that because i too had one at a young age and my parents by all meanings never sugar coated anything. so for anyone that feels sorry for amber start feeling sorry for the child that has to be in the middle of all crap the Mother is creating for her self and her child, period....

November 10 2011 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chasity Kirby

Amber baby u r going through the same thing I am.I lost custody of my little girl.Girl I pray 4 u all the time.Hell we r just a like.I just want u 2 keep your head up.Gary is doing u so wrong.Just my aunt n uncle did me.I luv ya girl.

August 03 2011 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinkster88

I knew the ladies on the show made some type of profit for putting their personal business on national TV for everyone to judge, but I didn't think it was that much. I've been a long time fan of the show and I think the concept of the show is trying to get young girls who are thinking about being mothers to see the reality of what their life would be like. I always try and make it home before "Teen Mom" comes on but that not always happens so I use the DISH Remote Access app to keep me in touch with all of my live and pre-recorded shows. The app is compatible with all Apple and Android Mobile Devices and it comes with a free download from the App Store and Android Market. It caters to all types of people and as long as you are connected to the internet, you can watch TV! I love it and I am inviting anyone who comes across this post to check it out because it's well worth it.

*Danielle

March 30 2011 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
turbobabii

Okay, it's insane for them to be paid that much, but it doesn't mean the show should be taken off the air. Just because there's a show about teen parenthood, doesn't mean teens are actually going to go out and get pregnant. Teen Mom shows the STRUGGLES of being a parent and how hard it is, yet it helps show other teen moms that they're not alone. GET OVER IT. Some teens are going to get pregnant. Even before Teen Mom there was people getting pregnant at 16. So don't be so hypocritical to this generation. Regardless if the numbers are higher or not. It's bound to happen, and I'm sure they'll learn their lesson if it's such a huge "mistake". MOST of these girls love their children dearly. If the kid is being taken care of and being loved, why is it such a immense controversy? Maybe getting paid this much is a GOOD thing for the baby. Don't judge them because none of the people commenting this actually KNOWS them. While you're thinking "my kids aren't like this", I'm sure they do things you have no idea about and see the things you try your hardest to prevent. It's all bound to happen, so just accept it, and move on.

March 09 2011 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
airstream74

I really think the girls chosen for the "characters" on this reality show are not representative of the true teen mom in America. I mean think about it for a minute...how many teen moms do you know have their fathers pay for them a home to live in, fully furnished with new furniture & the whole 9 yards? How many teen mothers do you know that drives a new vehicle? Most teen moms I know, were not given any support from their family members & kicked to the curb. Those are the kind of "characters" they need to put on the show. The "real teen moms" who actually struggle just to have a roof on their head, or have that piece of crap car that keeps breaking down every other day, counting change to buy gas or diapers or formula, or better yet, NO family support. Because my experience of seeing teen moms trying to make ends meet, is not anything like these spoiled brats who get special treatment just for having a baby at 16. I understand there are a couple of girls in this season & the past season who may have less support. But, by in large I don't see a true "struggling" teen mom on this show. Think about it. I don't see any of them really struggling except for Leah & Corey, who not only have 1 child to care for , but 2 children to care for, with 1 of those girls possibly having long term physical & mental problems related to her delays in developmental milestones. I am an RN, & I could just tell by looking at the girl's eyes & her hands that something is very wrong. Not trying to be negative, but realistic. That baby can't even grasp a finger & squeeze, and for those who aren't educated in that area, a baby should be able to do that almost from birth. How many babies do you know who are only a week or two old & will grab your finger? A lot. My point exactly. The only thing I fault those young parents for is not paying close enough attn to comparing the accomplishments between the twins. This young couple have a lot more things to worry about, than the average teen mom, & THIS is what depicts a real life situation. Young teen girls don't think about, what if my baby requires special needs after birth? They only think about wanting to play or dress up their new "baby doll". This season, Leah & Corey are the only true depiction of "struggling teen parents". I'm really glad to see they have family support & that Corey has stepped up to the plate to be a great father who is there for his girls AND his fiance bcz Leah needs support bcz there is something seriously wrong with that child, & I pray God will give them the strength to handle the diagnosis. Leah is very lucky that her babies' father is as good of a provider as he can be, & that he is even present helping raise those two beautiful girls. Good luck to Leah & Corey, and hope they can find out what is wrong with their child so they may work on the rehabilitation she may need to catch up her milestones as soon as possible, & that there is no long term irreversible damage.

March 05 2011 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
me

This show needs to be taken of the Air.Its a disgrace,and only encourages Teens to go out and have babies.Those little Pigs need to get a real job and not get rewarded for having babies at the age where they still supose to be in school.but having babies those days as many as possible will get you fame,kids lernt they dont have to work,just have Babies and you become famas,like the stuppid Gosslins

January 03 2011 at 6:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

MTV's making a FORTUNE off these kids, so is $280K a fair salary ? Nope, I think they should get MORE,,,HOWEVER, I feel that the teens should only get a fraction of this money to help them live on, the rest should go into trust for the childrens higher education, don't worry their 15 minutes worth of fame will be over as quickly as it started.

January 03 2011 at 5:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marit

I just read an article that says teenage girls are actually trying to get pregnant so they can have a chance to get on the show. It seems that MTV's plan has backfired on them. They initially thought the show would dissuade girls from getting pregnant after they saw the hardships girls face when having a baby at such a young age. Unfortunately, young girls only see that these girls have now become celebrities and they don't realize that this is reality and not just some TV show. What they don't seem to understand is that, after the cameras are gone, they will be left raising a child that they never should have had in the first place. This is the most irresponsible show on TV and MTV should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to air it. Some people want to be famous at all costs and, sadly, the only ones suffering will be the children of these very immature teenage girls.

January 03 2011 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryon

I think we all can agree that teen pregnancy is a bad idea and that noone should be rewarded for thier mistakes. However, the show is wildly popular (I personaly can't stand it, along with the tools from Jersey Shore) and the people that make it popular should be paid. I mean, if they negotiate a salary that high, why not? If any of you could negotiate a higheer salary in your jobs, you would, and you would feel you deserved it (or more). If everyone feels that these people shouldn't get paid, then don't watch it. If ratings are down, the show gets cancelled. If it gets cancelled, no paycheck, and they would all have to go back to being struggling teen parents. At least we can all hope that the extra money these people get will help them raise thir children in better circumstances.

January 03 2011 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply