July 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

The Littlest Diva on 'Toddlers & Tiaras' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 30th 2010 5:22AM
The Littlest Diva on 'Toddlers & Tiaras' It's all happening. Yes, it's the season premiere of 'Toddlers & Tiaras'! The series has only been gone for a few months -- but still, there's been a 'Toddlers & Tiaras'-shaped hole in our lives. We've missed it all so much! Overbearing parents forcing little kids to go onstage! Creepy makeup! Hairspray! Temper tantrums! ... Good times, good times.

On the new episode (Wed., 10PM ET on TLC), we're reunited with Makenzie, a returning toddler from last season. Last time around, Makenzie behaved very badly. And this time around ... she's behaving very very badly. Makenzie is only 4 years old, but she's already a "diva."

While preparing for the Miss Arizona Gold Coast Beauty Pageant -- a very important pageant that only the people on this show have ever heard of -- Makenzie starts yelling and pouting and crying. She wants her "Ni-Ni"! Her Ni-Ni! Her Ni-Ni!

Jeez, okay, fine! But wait. ... What is a "Ni-Ni," anyway?

It turns out that a "Ni-Ni" is a standard baby pacifier. Makenzie screams and screams, until her overly compliant mother gives it to her. ... Great. And as always, it's the parent who is at fault here -- not the little kid. Juana, the mother of the tiny diva, is totally focused on winning the pageant; she doesn't realize that she's missing the bigger picture. For Juana, having her daughter look good is more important than teaching her manners or good behavior.

And so it goes. Mom gives in, Makenzie gets her "Ni-Ni," and for a few seconds, all is right with the world -- at least until Makenzie's next inevitable temper tantrum. It's a tragedy of bad parenting: funny in a fleeting sense, depressing in a larger sense.

Sleepless in Seattle

My take on this is just a bit different.

I think this child is desperate to be a child, but can't articulate that. Pacifiers are simply something children use to self-soothe. The more this woman pushes her daughter to look "grown-up, the more the child regresses to baby behaviors -- tantrums, crying, pacifiers. She is being told loud and clear, by her mother's every action, that SHE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS A CHILD. This woman needs to buy a doll to dress up, and let this child be raised by someone who will let her act like a child, but a well-behaved child. Only then will she develop into a normal person.

January 04 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judy

someone has to be trained to be the hated prom queen in high school.

January 04 2011 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Colleen

As a child I entered beauty pagents, home-made dresses, no fake hair and defintly no make up. It was fun and exciting. Today, these pagents are riduculous. The girls are being taught that winning is everything and false beauty is more important than inner beauty and being true to ones' self.

January 03 2011 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

I agree with all the comments but have to add
that the problem is not that the mothers are not
disciplining the kids. It's that the mothers are
not emotionally connected with these babies--they
are just objects, extensions of the mother's
narcissistic self. Therefore these babies are
in pain, feeling their needs are not understood
and not met, they do feel neglected, not valued
as the individuals they ARE but seen as toys.
These mothers are neglecting and abusing these
children and should be arrested because hey are adults in charge, but they are also selfless human beings whose needs had not been met.

January 03 2011 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Felicia

Disturbing and surreal, she looks like a hooker in a childs body with a pacifier. What is wrong with these parents and what do they think they are doing to this child?
The only people watching these children are pedophiles and you are handing these children over on a platter. You have dressed them up, made them up and prepared them to be abused.
This is child abuse.

January 03 2011 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherry

If this child is old enough to carry on a conversation, she's old enough to NOT have a NiNi hanging out of her mouth. My oldest child; who is now twenty seven years old; had a paci and gave it up with no problem by the time she was eighteen months old. My youngest refused a paci altogether. Good grief parents, wake up. If she's acting out this way at four years old, wait till she's fourteen. The little demon child needs an old fashioned spanking and mommy needs to be slapped into reality. And is the mother pregnant again? I'm wondering if the new baby gets a paci, is Mackenzie going to get one also? Mommy deserves everything she gets for allowing this child to rule the roost. And don't go telling me you shouldn't spank a child. There's a difference between discipline and abuse and I spanked my children; just as I was spanked. They were and still are very behaved kids with good jobs and college educations and have never brought an ounce of trouble to me and their father.

January 03 2011 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I've heard these parents say "It builds great self esteem" , well yes...sure, FOR THE WINNER that is ! Let's break it down, it's a BEAUTY / TALLENT contest, if you win...you're most beautiful, most tallented, yup that'll build great self esteem alright but if you DON'T win, that says "I'm not pretty, I'm not tallented" that's GOTTA hurt !!

January 03 2011 at 5:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
martinimama

#1 We all have to realize about these little children all of this is a learned behavior this is all they know--Beauty Pagents- They do not know how to be a child and never will-It is ashame, someone needs to get ahold of the parent(s) with thier addiction- they are passing it along to the child- The correction starts with the parent(s) they need Parenting 101
Like my mom always said when children are Little you have Little problems- WHen children are big you have big problems-
Please someone do an intervention with these parents and save these little kids---

December 31 2010 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blutess

I am SOOO glad they aired this clip for comments! I am not even going into the "ni-ni" issue, because it is so utterly stupid.
This beauty pageant BS is just DEPLORABLE! I cannot believe these are even allowed to occur, let alone be a freaking TV show. I watched this weekend, they had a "marathon" prior to the premiere of this show,with the "ni-ni". How disgusting that these sick parent's put these children through this. A great deal of money and time is wasted for the sake of a mere $500.00 savings bond as top prize. (In one pageant.) The mother probably spent $2000.00 just on dresses, hair extensions, tanning, make-up etc. One parent even said, "Well, we would probably have a better house to live in, if it weren't for the pageant..."
The little girls gyrate and parade around as if they are adults. Some are in tiny little bikinis. I can only imagine the pedophiles that DVR these shows and entertain themselves!
IF they want to have pageants for little girls they should ONLY be done in age appropriate attire, NO make-up, hair extensions, etc. so a little girl can get a feel for the real pageants later, if that is what SHE (and not the pushy, wanna-be parent) wants to pursue.

December 31 2010 at 6:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

FIRST of all, that BRAT is rediculous. I want to smack her face. I have THREE girls, ages 6, 3, and 6 months....and they would never DREAM of acting like that. But I "abuse" my children by spanking them. Go figure.

Second, the pacifier thing turns my stomach. THROW IT AWAY. Her mom looks like she's on drugs.

THIRD, all the moms on the show are obese, living through their children, and need mental counseling.

And lastly, many of the kids are quite homely looking without a cake face. Seriously, not even naturally cute at all. Hence the reason they're not models/actresses....they need makeup to look the way they do.

December 31 2010 at 2:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply