November 1, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'Undercovers' Series Finale: The Show Comes to an End -- Sort of (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Dec 30th 2010 1:31AM
'Undercovers' Series Finale:  The Show Comes to an End -- Sort of Every story is a mystery story -- even if the tale itself doesn't involve clues or a crime. Whether it's a sitcom about mismatched roommates, a game show, or a reality show about people living in New Jersey, we still watch every TV program for the same reason: to find out what happens at the end.

It's a natural human desire to learn what happens next. But this might be a problem where 'Undercovers' is concerned. You see, the spy drama has been canceled. Tonight's episode (Wed., 8PM ET on NBC) is the 11th installment of the show. Two episodes remain, but they might never be aired. So, this could be the end.

Every story is a mystery story, but the latest (and maybe last) episode of 'Undercovers' gave us a literal mystery as well. ... What was in the locker?

Agents Steven and Samantha Bloom (Boris Kodjoe and Gugu Mbatha-Raw) are called in to stop a group of terrorists. The terrorists want the key to a mysterious locker, which holds ... something that must be very important indeed. Naturally, Steven and Sam defeat the bad guys. But hey -- what was in that locker, anyway?

After the mission, Steven confronts boss Carlton Shaw (Gerald McRaney). A fellow CIA agent died while protecting the key, and Steven is enraged. Steven's a spy, but he doesn't even know what he was fighting for. "I want you to tell me it was worth it!" he yells at his boss. "I want you to tell me what was in that locker!" There's a pause; long beats of silence -- it's so quiet that we can hear the birds chirping outside.

" ... I'm sorry," Shaw says. "I can't tell you that." Shaw leaves the office; he walks down the long receding hallway. Steven is left standing alone in the room -- with no answer.

Now that the series is canceled, we may never get an answer either. We'll be forced to imagine what was in the locker ... which is frustrating. On the other hand, in a larger sense, maybe no "real" solution to a mystery could be as satisfying as the ones that we dream up on our own. ... So, this is the end of 'Undercovers,' unless the two remaining episodes get an airdate. Will you miss the show?

Roy Gutteridge

Another great show cancelled by NBC again!!! We in the UK love this show, It gets better & better each episode and i think a lot of fans will be disappointed now they have axed it. The cast,crew & writers are brilliant and as long as they keep producing good quality show then why should they be axed. NBC must have their head up their arse's to keep cancelling good quality shows like this and a lot more. Whats more frustrating is why not show us the last 2 episodes instead at stopping at 11. They commissioned 13 shows, at least let the public see them.

March 13 2011 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne Walker

This show should not be canceled. It's unique with highly attractive, intelligent stars that have good chemistry, high quality story lines backed by visually exciting video of uncommon places & countries. I will miss it. Wonder if it had been a comedy, if its chance of survival would have been better?

January 03 2011 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Golden dog fan

Undercovers was unique in it's story lines, characters and the scenery. If I couldn't be home to watch it, I made sure to record it for later viewing. This is one show that should continue. Excellent premise, excellent actors and unusual plots. Please, bring it back!

January 02 2011 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jussinbuff

I will miss this show greatly. I loved it! The different countries, different languages.It always kept my mind intrigued. Please give it another chance. Didn't Seinfeld do terrible the first season and other shows that have become an icon in American television?

January 02 2011 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alianrose

I loved the show, never missed an episode. The story lines were interesting and the cast a pleasure to watch. A Southland save would be greatly appreciated. I would also love to see the remaining episodes.

December 30 2010 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alianrose's comment
MKH

I, too, really enjoyed the 'UNDERCOVERS' show/series and never missed an airing. I even taped and saved (and, now, I'm soooooooooo glad I did) several of the episodes. I thought the cast was great, loved the different cities and backdrops of each episode and thought the rapport and connection among each of the characters was believable, entertaining and 'contagious'. Best of all, aside from watching these wonderful leads, I loved that the programming and scripting stayed 'above board' with its allusions to 'married intimacy' (instead of graphic sexuality on screen), great dialogue, absent any profanities or vulgarities from the characters. I will MISS the show, and THANK NBC, the producers and actors for trying to resurrect some quality programming that does not sully our TV screens. -- Thank you-- MKH

December 31 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
samuel

I personally loved the show as well as J.J. Abrams. I hope it gets a "Southland" type save. honestly i do think they should have added a little tease to the back story in most of the shows, to remind us that there is definitely a larger story here.

December 30 2010 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Z3Relic

I really think that the mystery was the problem with this show. We've known from the beginning that there was a back story to this whole series, but they just didn't want to reveal anything about it at all. I think other than the first episode there was only two episodes that said anything that remotely suggested that there was more to this show.

I think if they just brought that mysterious storyline in to the show at a quicker pace it may have lasted longer.

December 30 2010 at 4:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply