April 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

TVR Awards -- Best Betty White Moment of the Year (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Dec 31st 2010 5:00AM

Betty White has had a prolific career spanning nearly six decades, but even for her, 2010 was a busy year. The 88-year-old actress and comedienne enjoyed a renaissance that seemed to officially cement her role as America's sassy grandma. Betty hosted 'Saturday Night Live,' guest-starred on 'Community,' got her own show ('Hot in Cleveland') and made a bevy of appearances on late-night and daytime talk shows. We've chosen these highlights from arguably her best year ever. Check out our favorite Betty White clips and vote for your favorite moment.
The Nominees:

A Belated Emmy Speech: James Lipton had a big reward for White when the pillar of TV comedy finally appeared on 'Inside the Actors Studio': an Emmy. She'd been unable to attend the Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, so the host presented her with the Outstanding Guest Actress statue, earned for hosting 'Saturday Night Live.' "I've got some 'golden girls' who'll keep her company at home," the six-time Emmy winner joked.

Being a (Death-Metal) Friend on 'SNL': Speaking of 'The Golden Girls,' one of the funniest sketches from her 'SNL' stint was a digital short set to the series' theme song. In her honor, fellow cast members smiled, hugged and sweetly sang along to 'Thank You for Being a Friend.' White responded, "That was just lovely, but I think I prefer my version." She donned a black ski mask, grabbed a mic and began "singing" a death-metal rendition, adding violent kicks and swinging a baseball bat.

Calling Sarah Palin the B-word Was an Act: On 'Larry King Live,' the host requested that the comedienne explain her comment that Sarah Palin was "a crazy bitch." She hastily explained the context: "That was written ... It was ['The Late Late Show With] Craig Ferguson.' We do little sketches. I play different characters ... I was John McCain's speech writer." Oh, maybe King should have asked Ferguson that question.

White Offers Fire Safety Tips: During another visit to 'Late Late,' White appeared as a fire chief in uniform. "I feel safe around all those strong [fire]men," she joked. "Plus I can use the fire pole to practice for my other job -- as a stripper." The host said he had a lot of dirt on White. She countered, "Craig, I'm a national treasure -- I'm one fire you can't put out." Too true, too true.

White Wields a Blow-Dart Gun: The second-season premiere of 'Community' featured White as kooky anthropology prof June Bauer. "What is it exactly that seperates man from animal?" she asked her class. "Divorce!" shouted Star-Burns. Fellow classmates laughed. She swiftly picked up a "blow-gun" and launched a dart in his face. "Tools," she answered. Quite an introduction.

She Nearly Makes Out with Elmo: "Two young stars are with us," began Meredith Vieira on 'Today,' "three-year-old Elmo and Betty White, who is 88-years-young," she clarified. Elmo leaned over and kissed White's cheek ... then her mouth, then her eye and then her ear. "Get a room, kids!" Vieira joked.

Jay Leno Plays "Will This Make Betty White Flinch?": The 'Tonight Show' host has been testing White's composure for years, launching everything from paint balls to people straight at her face, with a flimsy, clear plastic wall as her only shield. This time, the challenge was deemed harder, "now that you've become the biggest star than ever," said the host. But did the latest stunt make her flinch? Nope.

White Goes Red Hot in 'Cleveland': As Elka, the snarky caretaker on 'Hot in Cleveland,' White stormed into the kitchen to announce (obviously) that she'd gotten her hair colored -- bright red. Joy wondered if a picture of Elmo influenced her. But how else to deal with a rival who takes hormone replacements? "I can't compete with somebody who's doping!" she said.

What was your favorite Betty White moment of 2010?
James Lipton presents Betty her Emmy311 (13.4%)
Betty sings metal version of 'Golden Girls' theme song on 'SNL'420 (18.1%)
Betty and Larry King talk Sarah Palin142 (6.1%)
Betty dons a fireman's uniform209 (9.0%)
Betty wields a blow-dart gun on 'Community'272 (11.7%)
Betty makes out with Elmo142 (6.1%)
Jay Leno tries to make Betty flinch254 (10.9%)
Betty dyes her hair red on 'Hot in Cleveland'574 (24.7%)

Tired of Stupidity

Betty White - a classy lady who is totally hysterical, too! No one can touch her...just still really on her game! Go Betty!!!

January 03 2011 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim Claeys

I remember sitting on my grandfather's lap and watching Betty White back in the 1970's and she was so wonderful then, but not only as Sue Ann Nivens; but also as Allen Lunden's wife. Betty is a real & true person. She is truly Loved!
Kim Claeys

December 31 2010 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

Betty is one of the few remaining acting legends still with us. A very talented and well loved actress. Betty was absolutely brilliant as Sue Ann Nivens on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and she was stellar on The Golden Girls. Sadly, it pains me to see a legend like Betty demoted to the dreadful sitcom Hot in Cleveland. TVLand is beyond belief how badly they've mucked up their once golden clad format. I wish Betty well and it's inspiring that at nearly 90 years of age she's still going strong.

December 31 2010 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nick's comment
jktejas

Unfortunately, in "Hot In Cleveland" (please excuse the wrong city in another post) she was cast as "Betty White acting cute" which is fun on talk shows, but doesn't carry enough weight in a sitcom. She wasn't given the kind of character and dialogue that she could "run with." Perhaps she mo longer has the memory retention for it.....but believe it or not, I would still like to see her given a small dramatic role in a TV drama. Something tells me she would "eat the scenery."

December 31 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JeanGrace

I'll probably get nailed for saying this, but I can't STAND Betty White, never could...and "Hot in Cleveland" is nothing more than a ripoff of "The Golden Girls": Wendy Malick is self-absorbed like Blanche, Jane Leeves is cynical like Dorothy, Valerie Bertinelli is cute and innocent like Rose, and Betty White's character is just a sleazier version of Sophia.

December 31 2010 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JeanGrace's comment
jktejas

You're right about "Hot In Cleveland." However the "cynical, self absorbed, cute and innocent" attributes are not played anywhere near the way they were on "Golden Girls"....a chemistry between very unique actresses who had the acting chops to infuse their own interpretation into those comedic roles and a director who had the smarts to let them to it. There simply was nothing unique in "Hot In Cincinnati."

December 31 2010 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Basse

omfg...... there she is again.... I cant even get on aol anymore without seeing Betty White, the Password guru of the sixties....

Its a bird,
Its a plane,
NO,, oh No,,,,
omfg....... its Betty White.....
How much can a person take?????

December 31 2010 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malisawv

If you saw her on Jimmy Fallon - she played beer pong and it was a hoot. I wish it was on here.

December 31 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jktejas

Betty White is a brilliant satirist. She, along with many other gifted comics (like the entire Golden Girls cast) have that rare ability to laugh at themselves.....not derisively......but with that "inner eye" that steps outside themselves to focus back on how they deliver "a grain of truth" blown up into outrageous hilarity. In both performances and interviews they don't "lead with their egos." Do they have egos?.....probably....but controlled by a high degree of intellect and professionalism. She also has prolonged her career by being exceptionally good at working in an ensemble (again the Golden Girls as a case in point.) Not all stars, even gifted ones, can sustain that. I would be willing to bet if she was handed a serious role in a drama she would deliver a memorable perfromance. Some of the most talented comics do just that.

December 31 2010 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsti

I like Betty White, really I do. I just think she is still afraid even at her age to be who she really is and express her true values. In short I think she's selling out and in a whole lot of ways setting a bad precident and example.

December 31 2010 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ray

Betty White has had an incredibe life and I'm sure there will be a special place for her in whatever is next.

December 31 2010 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cari

I like Betty White but was disappointed when I read she donates to St. Jude.Seems a little two faced since she's such an advocate for animals and St. Judes doesn't hide the fact they have animal testing labs.If she has any missing pets she might want to check with them.

December 31 2010 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply