October 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A Young Boy Pays It Forward by Giving His Old House to a Friend's Family on 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jan 3rd 2011 1:15AM
'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'A disabled boy gave the ultimate gift to a friend and her family on 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' (Sun., 8PM on ABC). Garrett Grommesh earned a makeover for his family in order to make his own life easier; he's confined to a wheelchair. But Garrett's concerns were almost immediately for his friend Arlinda Hajdari and her family.

The six members of the Hajdari family have been sharing a two-bedroom apartment since coming over to America from Kosovo. Because of the good condition of the Grommesh home other than wheelchair accessibility, Garrett asked if they could pay it forward and give their home to the Hajdari family.

The 'Extreme Makeover' team physically relocated the home across town to do just that. Of course, they couldn't resist fixing it up a bit as well.

As such, the Hajdari family was stunned when the bus moved to reveal not a new home for the Grommesh family, but instead a new home for them.

"It made me feel great knowing that the Hajdari family's life is going to be completely changed," Garrett said. "They deserve a second chance to a new life."

Of course, the Grommesh family got their own wheelchair-accessible home from the crew at their old home site as well. As excited as Garrett was to see the ease with which he will be able to move around his new living space, it was nothing to the smile on his face when he saw his friend looking at the first house her family has ever owned.

tbrunett

I think Garret and his parents should have thought a little better on how they would discard their old house. Instead of giving it (don't know if there is still a mortgage on the old house)to a refugee family from Kosovo, why did they not give it to a hard-working true American family who have lost everything, even their homes, in this economy. I feel this show gives so much to one family at a time when there are so many people who are in worse situations. Maybe they should spread the wealth around. I feel bad that this kid will spend his life in a wheelchair, but what about our veterans who have come back from Afganistan and Iraq with missing limbs (legs) who will spend the rest of their lives in wheelchairs. Will anything be done for them.

January 03 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peachie

I have raised a severely disabled child for the past 32 years. We never received any help from any organizations out there because she was not born with her disabilities, they were a result of an accident at 4 months of age, (I even have paid for her diapers all these years). We are very poor and one of the few thing we ever got was a wheelchair ramp sponsored by a new local program when she was 14 (I couldn't pay or know how to put up one). For 14 years I would bring out her wheelchair and the carry her out to it to go anywhere and reverse the whole process when we returned. We didn't go anywhere very often. My back just could not handle the weight of the whole process. Until that point we had and still now do not receive what the rest of the world just assumes we get. I didn't believe there were people like this young man and his family left anymore. God and this family has re-inspired me to believe and and pass it forward. Deep down I knew there were still people like the Grommesh family in this world. May God bless them for their act of love. I don't see what different it makes, whether the parents or the son passed their love on, it only matters that they did it and that the extreme makeover crew gave to 2 families what they both deserved. May God bless the families and the tv crew for truly blessing my soul.

January 03 2011 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

This young fella (Garrett)is a smart and poised kid and the kind of person the world needs more of.
Someone had the idea to save the original house because knocking down something that good would have been wrong on so many levels and would have irate letters being sent into the show. (I don't even like to see all the home improvement shows on TV that knock out and wreck cabinets and such because so much could go to a Habitat resale store.) And yes, maybe the tv show should think more about giving the old house away more often as they could help out more families.
In this case, they say the idea was first proposed by Garrett, the 10 year old boy who would do better in a home fitted out for his wheel chair. I believe it but more importantly it was done with all who were involved coming together to get the job done. With everything that is involved ... from idea to permits to amassing workers and materials to making up schedules to just finishing the whole thing ... the mind boggels.
Good job Garrett and family and entire crew!
And one other thing if I may ... people who say they are so against socialism should know exactly what it is ... put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in gear. All socialism wouldn't be good and no one wants that but if people would do the right thing, then we wouldn't need laws to make them. I'm just saying ...

January 03 2011 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEPHANIE

To those who think that disabled children get everything, remember many disabled children never get a chance to run, talk, learn or lead a life that most of us deem as normal. To those who are angry if these kids get a little financial help, think of the sacrifice their families make and what they give up for the caring of their kids. Show some compassion. Yes some take advantage of it, BUT MANY DO NOT AND WOULD TRADE ANY HELP THEY GET FOR THE TOTAL HEALTH OF THEIR CHILD.

January 03 2011 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peachie

January 03 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ohbarf

We don't have enough jobs in this country because "Our" Govt has been giving all the big companies tax breaks to MOVE OUT of this country. It doesn't matter what party they belong to they are ALL IDIOTS. This country no longer manufactures anything worthwhile and you can blame that on the Union Bosses and those who belong to Unions being brain washed into thinking they are "Entitled" to a job and "Entitled" to make $40 an hour! Guess what people building a car isn't brain surgery and you aren't curing cancer. In fact you aren't using one 1/10th of your brain to push a button or watch a robot. Thus the reason you can do the job high or drunk.... When a company is allowed to fire someone because they are a lazy bum and don't work we just might get somewhere. And that goes for everyone from Federal Employees right on down to the trash collectors!
If the Americans who really WORK for a living in this country don't start fighting back we may as well start calling the USA ...RUSSIA ! We also need to get rid of Janet Napoleon, that woman is a JOKE here she is off telling Afghanistan how to keep their borders safe and secure and she can't even do that in her own country!
Makes me sick that we have two more years of this clown and his posy.

January 03 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

CHASENTIA - Are you stupid? Sounds like it......
What a wonderful gift this young man provided to someone else. God Bless him & his family.....

January 03 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Paying something forward IS the way of the U.S.A. Despite what "others" may say...

January 03 2011 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Just me

Your ignorance is showing

January 03 2011 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEPHANIE

It is also called " Do unto others, as you would have them do to you.". This was absolutely wonderful. As for the Socialism issue, many from other countries could teach us a thing or two about the opportunities America offers. I have watched a few immigrants from Russia, Asia, India, and Cuba who came to America and proudly and passionately express what America means to them....What we take for granted. They work at any job offered. They work and live together as a family, pool their cash, save it and buy homes at a faster rate. God Bless That Little Guy.

January 03 2011 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply