September 2, 2014

Anne Francis, Star of 'Honey West,' Dead at 80

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 3rd 2011 1:25PM
Anne FrancisAnne Francis, who played the first female detective on a TV series in ABC's 'Honey West' in 1965, has passed away.

Francis died of pancreatic cancer in Santa Barbara, Calif. She was 80.

To list Francis' roles on TV would be like listing all of the shows that were made between 1949 and 2004. Let's just say she appeared in a lot of programs, including 'Kraft Theater,' 'Rawhide,' 'The Untouchables,' 'Route 66,' 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents,' 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,' 'The Invaders,' 'Mission: Impossible,' 'My Three Sons,' 'Columbo,' 'Dallas,' 'Home Improvement,' 'Wings' and 'Without a Trace.'

She also guest starred in a classic episode of 'The Twilight Zone' that was shown last weekend during Syfy's marathon of the show. She played the scared woman who becomes one of the mannequins in the department store in the episode 'The After Hours.' She also played Mama Jo, the woman who owned the charter boat with the all-female crew, on the first season of 'Riptide.'

Francis also appeared in one of the classic science fiction films of the 1950s, 'Forbidden Planet,' and in other movies including 'The Blackboard Jungle,' 'Hook, Line, and Sinker,' 'Bad Day at Black Rock' and 'Funny Girl.'

On a personal note, Francis was the best friend of the mother of a good friend of mine, and I've heard that she was a really nice woman. She had a lot of great stories about her time in Hollywood.

Francis was married twice and leaves two daughters and a grandson.

will coe

I think that this site has gotten their green and reds mixed up. It's very confusing.Green should have a + sign and read should have a - sign.

January 07 2011 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARY

I remember her very well, especially the show with the ocelot. I had dated a contractor during the time of the show, and after dinner he confessed he was the owner of the ocelot, leased it to the show. He took me to the animal's living area, with other similar animals, and the cat was beautiful, happy to see his owner, but I didn't want to get too close. It was a fun date, but he was too much of a tiger for me!!!

January 07 2011 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stacknef

Rest in peace, Beautiful.

January 04 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

OMG!! I grew up watching "Honey West"!! She was my hero! I also had a "Honey West" doll! I loved her cool black outfit, too! RIP dear lady! You will be missed! God be with her family and friends and comfort and bless them in this difficult time.

January 03 2011 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pearl

I never missed an episode of Honey West or Man From U.N.C.L.E. Those were the days.I always said I wanted to be like her when I grew up! RIP

January 03 2011 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ev

I remember her because I am old enough. She was a classy lady!

January 03 2011 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BB

I remember watching Honey West when I was a kid.She had a pet ocelot and I loved that show!Rest In Peace,Anne,and my condolences to her family.

January 03 2011 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

TVLand, listen up, would love to see reruns of Honey West. Great Actress! She will definitely be missed. Just shows if you have talent and keep your looks even when you are a little older, you will always be around!

January 03 2011 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

Another good one gone.

January 03 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenneth Fisher

How can you add Ann Francis' role in "Forbidden Planet" as an after thought? All her other roles made her an actress. Her role in "Forbidden Planet" made her an icon!

January 03 2011 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kenneth Fisher's comment
Bob Sassone

It wasn't an afterthought. This is a TV site so we usually focus on the TV work someone does. I just separated her film work from the TV work.

January 04 2011 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply