'American Idol': Sudden Death Semifinals and More Changes for Season 10

by Jean Bentley, posted Jan 4th 2011 5:45PM
'American Idol' logoIt's been a funny week for 'American Idol' news. The Hollywood Reporter released an exclusive article about eight changes in store for the new season -- which were mostly already reported or just ideas producers were tossing around -- prompting Entertainment Weekly to publish an exclusive story of its own.

Lucky for us, the EW report actually contained two changes we didn't already know about. So, what's new?

First, the semifinals will conclude with a sudden death top 20 round. Two groups of 10 contestants will compete for the final 12 spots (or 10 or 15, depending on which "inside source" you talk to). That one round will determine the finalists, EW reports.

Second, you can forget about that whole boy-girl parity in the finals -- producers aren't binding themselves to an even amount of finalists per gender. Executive producer Ken Warwick told EW, "If I've got six fantastic boys and four average girls, I'm certainly not going to throw out a fantastic boy to put in another average girl, or vise versa."

As for the number of finalists, THR reports that there could be as many as 15 in the mix, while Warwick told EW, "We'll see what cross-section of kids we end up with in that final elimination round. It will be up to the talent that's there as to whether we go with 10 or 12."

What do you think about the new changes?

barbara

i truly believe that this is the beginning of the end ... it will never be what it once was... it's time to move on.. simon was the rock and now he's gone and so is the show ... sorry :)

January 18 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dorym

Get rid of this boring and monotonous show for once and for all! How many Pop singers do we need?
We have enough talent for now and those who should be recognized in the future will come up the way all of the others have.
God help us, we do not need anymore Justin Beabers or Carrie Underwoods, Ruben Stoddards or that geek with the dreads! They will all be water under the bridge in a few years anyhow.

January 11 2011 at 11:25 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
CECELIA

I DO NOT LOOK AT AMERICAN IDOL ANYMORE BECAUSE IT'S A RIP OFF FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS, NOR ANY OF MY FRIENDS OR FAMILY. ITS A JOKE.

January 08 2011 at 4:18 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CECELIA's comment
jonesspoke

Ruben Studdard? Fantasia Berino? Hello

January 12 2011 at 4:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Gregory Schwartz

I will never watch American Idol again. First Paula left, then Simon left. Ellen couldn't hack it. Then they bring in this Aerosmith dude who is ugly and offensive. It's been on enough years that I prefer to watch reruns of "Green Acres". I'm sorry, It's just me....I'm getting old and grouchy. You young kids enjoy the show. I will hang on to my memories when talent was the important thing. - gregg in Sarasota, FL

January 07 2011 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daffodil

I don't want to see any more weirdos. Make this a serious competition. Just let the worthy be considered for their talent. Randy saying "Dog" is over used. He's sincere but sometimes he needs to be more frank with his critiques. I am looking forward to Jennifer Lopez as a judge. She will bring a new approach to the table. If you are going to bring in special guests to assist the contestants, select people who will actually understand these singers vocal ability. In the last two years, there were some who gave very bad advice and the singers chose songs not appropriate for their vocals.
Will watch this season, and please consider some of our comments for 2012 season. Respectfully, Daffodil

January 07 2011 at 4:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

The only thing that was worthwhile watching on AI was the first couple of shows when they were doing the try outs. Since they cut back on that and the people who thought they were good at singing but were lousy it isn't as fun to watch anymore and I stopped. Plus too many people sound alike droning on and on with certain notes in songs that were never meant to be sung that way. Silly show.

January 07 2011 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I lost interest after so many seasons. Now that Simon (the only one that ever hit the nail on the head)is gone, AI's future is up in the air. I'm going to tune in again. I'm curious to see how the new judges work out.

January 07 2011 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rob's comment
laura

Oh really, Rob. Have you forgotten Simon's critiques of Jennifer Hudson (you have gone as far as you can) and Chris Daughtry (you are too boring). Both of these have become stars despite his insults to them.

January 07 2011 at 6:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to laura's comment
kkbunnyshoes

For crying out loud, Laura- these folks are judges not GOD! Get a grip!

January 11 2011 at 10:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
Susie

The show ended when Adam Lambert lost. It lost its credibility. They found their world idol...now move on.

January 07 2011 at 2:21 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Susie's comment
jonesspoke

Susie you just hit the bullseye with that one. I totally agree

January 12 2011 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rosemary Hirsch

The show's success was built around Simon Cowell's frank, brutal, but true citicism. Now that he is gone, the days of American Idol are numbered.

January 07 2011 at 2:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sheryl

I would have quit watching but I love Steven Tyler so I am going to watch every episode!!!

January 07 2011 at 2:15 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply