August 22, 2014

Alec Baldwin Is 'Very Interested' in Running for Office (VIDEO)

by Jean Bentley, posted Jan 5th 2011 11:30AM
Alec BaldwinAlec Baldwin has long been known for his political activism -- but now he might finally be ready to run for office himself.

In an interview scheduled to air on tonight's episode of 'Parker Spitzer,' the '30 Rock' star said running for office is "something that I'm very, very interested in."

While Baldwin stressed that he didn't want to be viewed as anti-elitist, he said, "People want to believe that someone who deeply cares about the middle class ... would like to seek public office. ... We need people who ... really have not lost sight of what the middle class in this country needs."

Although he's been a world-famous actor for many years, Baldwin said he's still in touch with his roots. "Whatever I've accrued in my career, it hasn't changed me as a person."

And don't think giving up acting is a decision he's taking lightly. "To leave what I'm doing now would be extremely painful," he told former New York governor Eliot Spitzer. "I've grown to really love where I am now in my business and to quit now, when it really feels good and doing it feels good, would be an enormously difficult thing to do."

So, will we be calling him Governor any time soon? Senator? Congressman?

Baldwin told the New York Times in 2006 that "If I ever ran for anything, the thing I would like to be is governor of New York." When asked about his qualifications, he said, "That's what I hate about Schwarzenegger. His only credentials are that he ran a fitness program under some bygone president. ... I'm Tocqueville compared to Arnold Schwarzenegger."

Watch the clip below. The entire interview airs on CNN tonight at 8PM ET.

1 Comment

Barry

Alec has a good sense of humor. He was just in the news for refusing to pay his maid her wages until she submitted to sex with him. But on the other hand, he does seem to fit the profile of a politician.

January 05 2011 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

Wasn't he moving to Canada? Just what we need - more drama in Congress. He can't be polite to his own daughter - what's he going to be like to people in the congress - not to mention - who'd want to work for the jerk?

January 05 2011 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruceiglover

A government of the people , last time I check Alec Baldwin qualifies .

January 05 2011 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamulj

Remember the political bozo in the picture interviewing Alec. Is this not the same Nyork ex politician that was visiting Hookers while the misses was at home. PLEASE TRUST EVERTHING they have to say.

January 05 2011 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thumbsie32

The only placethat goofball could be elected would be in California. Pelosi is proof that they will elect mnorons

January 05 2011 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerry

"Whatever I've accrued in my career, it hasn't changed me as a person." So being an actor gives a person license to belittle their child, commit adultery and use it all to justify a trip to rehab. He should move to Minnesota, they will vote-in anyone, i.e. Ventura, Franken. Last thing the country needs is another good-for-nothing Liberal.

January 05 2011 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hjhain

Is Alec even a citizen? I thought he was moving out of country when Bush was elected? Who would vote for him, hes half crazy and thinks hes funny? He let Kim get away, hes not sane. But the 5 people that watch his show think so. not nice to laugh at the insane.

January 05 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
terry

Just what we need. Another hollywood liberal know it all who can't manage his own life and personal affairs and yet he wants to tell us what is best for us as a nation.

January 05 2011 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boopyboy1

Hmm...the black sheep of the Baldwin clan..He should fit in nicely with all the New York Statis Elite class who think people are like sheep that need shepparding...My only hope is that the people of New York have more sense than the people of California (Schwartzenegger)should this guy run for office...

January 05 2011 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brianjconway

Yeah Alec. We are so lucky that you care. Weren't you going to move to France if George W. Bush got elected? Just do us all a favor and STFU and act.

January 05 2011 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply