September 16, 2014

'V' Season 2, Episode 1 Recap (Season Premiere)

by Brad Trechak, posted Jan 5th 2011 1:15AM

V - Red Rain['V' - 'Red Rain']

Welcome to what is likely the final season of this series. This is a shame, because 'V' showed some promise in tonight's premiere. The show has an excellent premise and a kick-ass cast, but given ABC's treatment, unless it gets some major ratings, it's likely a goner.

At least we finally got to see what the aliens look like under their fake skin, literally down to the bone. While it's a fairly radical change to our invading lizards due to improvements in technology (definitely no devil tails in the last batch), it is reminiscent of their original visage from the '80s (which goes along with the retro casting of this season). They just need the whiplash tongue and the rat-eating to make it complete.
It's cool how sci-fi shows hire people from other, previous sci-fi/fantasy shows. We have Elizabeth Mitchell from 'Lost,' Morena Baccarin from 'Firefly,' Laura Vandervoort from 'Smallville' and now Bret Harrison from 'Reaper.' Of course, we also now have callbacks to the original '80s series with Jane Badler, plus an upcoming appearance by (spoiler alert) Marc Singer. It's like they know it's the last season and they're pulling out all the stops.

At least this episode gave the Visitors a little motivation for their subtle takeover of the world: breeding. While this concept has been used before, it's nice that they stepped away from the reasoning from the original series: food. Which option is more palatable, being the Visitors' sex slave or their dinner?

It's a little confusing as to why they don't use their firepower to simply rape the citizens of Earth. Perhaps it's something to do with their culture. While the show does only employ a relatively small cast, it seems a little too coincidental that Erica's pregnancy was experimented upon all those years ago. I suppose next we'll find out that Tyler's father is a V himself (which wouldn't surprise me at this rate).

Who else noticed the MacBook Pro with a sticker on the Apple logo? Steve Jobs is one of the major shareholders of Disney that owns ABC. What's up with the sticker?

The Fifth Column recruitment process does need work. It's difficult to keep membership up when you threaten non-joiners with death. Chad Decker seems like a full-fledged member now. Decker seems as much a coward as an opportunist.

That Laura Vandervoort has got quite a ... view from her room. We'll leave it at that. Leave it to Anna to actually want her underage daughter to get pregnant by a teenage boy.

There was a lot of parent/child relationship drama in this episode. Anna kidnapped Ryan's daughter (and why she didn't just kill Ryan I'll never figure out) and kills her own children upon learning they might be retarded. Oh, and she used her daughter as a sex toy. There was the usual drama between Erica and Tyler and there was the final scene when we met Anna's mother (yay, Jane Badler). I can't wait for the explanation of why Anna needs to travel with her mom. Is she that insecure?

The problem with this show (and with many other supernatural or science fiction dramas before it) is that it doesn't seem to have plot direction. They seem to be making up the rules as they go along (see 'The X-Files' for a good example of this). This show probably would have lasted longer on one of the premium cable networks. But this season still might surprise people and lead to more. It's not dead yet. Let's see where it goes.

'V' airs Tuesdays at 9PM EST on ABC.

Mary

I want more of V. It is better than the original, which I have watched in its entirety several times. I am becoming disgusted at prime time in what they use to measure what people really like. Pretty soon, prime time will just become a memory especially if they keep going down this road. A fan of V.

October 23 2011 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

We can agree to disagree Adam as to just how far ahead of humans the Visitors are technologically but I'm still sticking to thousands or millions of years.Here's the other scientific fact that makes no sense,aliens & humans cannot breed,nature won't allow it.Also,its yet another corny tired sf trope.

January 06 2011 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daphiny

I LOVED the series opener, I thought the first year was incredible and was looking forward to this years opener for a long time.... The SEASON OPENER this week was FANTASTIC, and I loved the idea of bringing back the QUEEN from the 80s series as ANNAs mother, that was hot, love the special effects and all the great characters... PLEASEEEEEEEE KEEP THIS SERIES GOING , Im personally sick of all the CSI and SUVs there are enough of them, we need new cool stuff like V ....LOVE ANNA and the VISITORS....... KEEP V GOING ..... THANKS

January 06 2011 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

I only watch for Morena Baccarin

January 05 2011 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Anna said why she did not kill Ryan,she released him in the hopes that he will lead her to his underground resistance group.The Mars-needs-your-woman & men-for breeding is a really tired scifi trope,I was hoping that the writers would come up with something original.Its laughable that any alien civilization that is capable of faster-than-light space travel,& therefore is thousands,if not millions,of years beyond us in science truly needs Earth or humans for anything at all.

January 05 2011 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
Enectrixx

I don't think they _need_ us; I think it's more likely we make it easier for them to breed. And besides, we humans have existed for 200.000 years and haven't been able to eliminate some of our biggest flaws - the need for water, food and sleep. We also reproduce the exact same way as 200.000 years ago (except for recent fertilizing in laboratories).

Plus, I don't think the V's are thousands or millions of years beyond us, more like hundreds or _maybe_ thousands, if you consider the advancements we've mad in the last two hundred years.

As for Anna's reason to release Ryan, I don't think she was completely honest to Marcus (and if you look at his expression, he doesn't think so either). I think it has to do with Anna's new human emotions, though I'm not sure how yet.

January 06 2011 at 4:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

"Whatever happened to 13 episode seasons?"

I'm old enough to remember the "good old days" when you got all 22-24 episodes of a season with maybe just one break for the week of Christmas! September right through to May or June. Sweet! No interruption of the overall arch or strange hiatus points. (Don't you just love it when a network screws up the schedule and puts a show on hiatus the episode before or after the episode with the actual cliff-hanger?) You had the whole summer to catch reruns of the eps you might have missed or to discover a "new" show through reruns. None of this back and forth with alternate and overlapping network and cable schedules. Every show had at least 22 new episodes a season. No 10 for this one 13 for that one, a pick-up order for the back nine - maybe - for this one but not that one. I swear, you need a grid to figure it all out and don't even get me started about back logged DVRs.

RE "V" specifically, I was a fan of the original and wanted to be a fan of this one but I think I'm done. Even with the lack of real support from ABC this show lacks direction and a firm commitment as to what it wants to be. You can't totally blame that on ABC. The producers should have had a five year "bible" of what exactly they wanted to do with a complete *well defined* story that had a beginning, middle, and end - and most important - a truly horrifying and compelling reason for these aliens to bother with us. Currently the question you're left with is, why not just take whatever it is they want/need and move on to the next terra-firma-like planet?

January 05 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Europa's comment
Enectrixx

Well, there are still a couple of shows with ~20 episode seasons: NCIS, How I Met Your Mother, Stargate Universe, up until last year Heroes & FlashForward, Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. But I agree in that all shows should have 20 episodes/season.

January 06 2011 at 4:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kara

The single best piece of acting I saw in the episode last night was the look Anna gave after she killed the six soldiers as she was walking out of the room. I really felt that she felt something during that decision, that it truly hurt her. It was actually a small ray of hope for the show itself.

I actually do like how they are exploring the whole aspect of how the human skins effect the Vs emotionally and that even Vs like Anna are not immune to human emotional. There are small specks of hope within the show and interesting things to be explored, it just seems to lack a general sense of focus at times.

January 05 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

When you show only 4 episodes then take a year off, people lose interest. Whatever happened to 13 episode seasons? Is Hollywood that lazy? Are actors overpaid for little work? Have they run out of ideas?

ps I thought Morena Baccarin looked better with longer hair & BEFORE she got new teeth (check her out on a rerun of Las Vegas).

January 05 2011 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kara

I agree that the biggest downfall of it's show is it's lack of plot direction. It just never feels like they know exactly where they want to go and they just kind of make it up on the fly.

The dialogue at times is also meh and the acting always feels a little stiff to me.

January 05 2011 at 8:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Kara's comment
Joe Siegler

The sticker on the laptop was the name of the TV station/network that Decker worked for.

January 05 2011 at 3:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Joe Siegler's comment
Zach

Which newstations often do. I always find it funny they don't get a custom skin like you can from one of the skin sites. That would make it much more professional. Plus, I also found it comical that he handed him the entire laptop, not just a DVD disc. At least they weren't watching it on his laptop when they were showing the entire group.

January 05 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stiff Shots Photography

Speaking of Decker, I think it's ironic he works for a fictitious news network, when immediately following "V" was DETROIT 187, which showed a TV news report with the ABC-7 logo prominently displayed. Missed branding opportunity, guys.

January 05 2011 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply