April 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

The Best Wipeouts on the Special Winter Premiere of 'Wipeout' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Jan 7th 2011 1:05AM
'Wipeout''Wipeout' (Thu., 8PM on ABC) returned for a special winter season run, and had seasonal and holiday-themed obstacles to commemorate it. They also offered viewers a whole bevy of new ways to watch contestants get smacked around, beat up and, of course, thrown into the water.

After all, it is called 'Wipeout,' and that is why we're tuning in. It's always funny to watch contestants get whacked or knocked out at the same obstacle each time, as if they're forgetting what did them in. Maybe it's all those blows to the head leaving them a little groggy and confused.

It may not be as challenging to master as 'Dancing with the Stars,' doesn't require talent coming into it like 'Live to Dance,' but 'Wipeout' is easily the most mindlessly entertaining of the bunch. And, looking at some of these challenges, quite possibly harder than most other reality competition shows to win.

It's definitely the messiest of the network fare. Is that why we love it so?

alley48

My husband and I could not agree more!

January 07 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alley48

This is the first time I watched "Wipeout". It"s absolutely SILLY. It was awful! It says a lot about our culture and society.......a bunch of STUPIDS!

January 07 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cittasnoraa

Although I love this show and find it hilarious and the commentary is absolutely fantastic... I am going to make a predicion! Someone is going to get killed on this show! They will break their neck and be dead before they hit the water! I believe it will be a heavy set woman and she will strike the base ring at the bottom of the second large red ball!

January 07 2011 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beth

I loved it! it was funny as hell to watch too!

January 07 2011 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaba

I wonder how many people are seriously injured during this show. They take some incredible blows to their heads and neck. They must have to sign quite the disclaimer in order to participate.

January 07 2011 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JWHarris57

Slapstick can be funny, but, like America's Funniest Home Videos, people and animals are not professional stunt actors and much of what I see borders on cruelty. Do the contestants on Wipeout sign waivers of liability if they happen to injure themselves, like snapping one's neck on the giant rubber balls?

January 07 2011 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sophie

LOVE IT!!!! LOVE IT!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!. There is absolutely NIL on TV, most nights I don't even turn the tube on......but Thursdays,,,,,I WILL.

January 07 2011 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ray

Ok, Wipe out is funny to watch others getting clobbered but, how stupid is it? Think of the possible injuries or more. There isn't enough $$$ around for me to take a chance by doing something like that.

January 07 2011 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Ray's comment
Jack

I guess participation is all about choices, isn't it....unless, of course, you want the government to get involved and tell you what you can and can't do.....don't like Wipeout, don't watch it....

January 07 2011 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
billsswills

crawl out of the cave once in a while and have some fun! people are much tougher and harder to break than you might imagine, but you gotta get off the couch to find out

January 07 2011 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

This show, like America's Funniest (Sadist) Videos, plays to the dumbest subset of human culture that can possibly exist.

January 07 2011 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Rob's comment
Stephanie

I have to disagree, Jerry Springer "guests" are FAR, FAR lower down on the food chain than America's Funniest. Right below parasitic bacteria. :)

January 07 2011 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alley48

I totally agree!

January 07 2011 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John In Texas, Retired LAPD

I watched this last night-BEST EVER!!!! "NANNA'S HOUSE" WAS A SCREAM!!! I saved it on my PVR just to watch when I need a emotional lift- LOL!!!!

you know you gotta love idiots who are willing to go on TV and get "smacked down" for money! People who cannot see the amusement in this- well, your beyond hope.

January 07 2011 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply