October 25, 2014

'The Kennedys' Update: Did Caroline Get the Miniseries Pulled?

by Chris Harnick, posted Jan 10th 2011 1:40PM
The KennedysDid Caroline Kennedy and Maria Shriver influence the History Channel in its shelving of the controversial 'The Kennedys' miniseries? According to The Hollywood Reporter, the two may have been instrumental in getting the Katie Holmes/Greg Kinnear miniseries off History's schedule.

Caroline Kennedy reportedly personally lobbied Anne Sweeney, co-chair of Disney Media Networks and president of Disney/ABC Television Group. Sweeney sits on the board of A&E Television Networks, the parent company of History.

Kennedy has a book deal with Disney's Hyperion publishing house and is editing a collection of unpublished interviews with her mother, Jackie Kennedy Onasis. She agreed to promote the collection on 'Good Morning America' and other media outlets. However, if AETN had gone through with the project, it's been suggested Kennedy would not have been as cooperative in promoting the Hyperion book.

Maria Shriver, a member of the Kennedy family and wife to Arnold Schwarzenegger, also lobbied to have the project shelved. Shriver used her NBC Universal ties and voiced her displeasure to Jeff Zucker and Jeff Gaspin. Gaspin sits on the AETN board as well. Shriver is also friends with Sweeney. The Disney executive serves on the board of the Special Olympics, which was founded by Shriver's mother, Eunice Kennedy Shriver.

'The Kennedys' is still scheduled for international broadcast, airing in Canada on March 6. According to Deadline Hollywood, Showtime is reportedly mulling over airing the series.

'Kennedys' co-producers Muse Entertainment and Asylum Entertainment issued the following statement about History's cancellation of the series: "We are proud of the work all of our talent put into the making of 'The Kennedys' and the painstaking efforts that went into creating a drama that is compelling while rich in historic detail. Although we regret this does not fit into the History Channel's plans, we are confident that television viewers in the United States will join viewers from around the world in having an opportunity to watch this series in the near future."

Check out a teaser for the miniseries below.

rayg28

OMG and LOL. Talk about rambling. You don't own any artillery do you "newhopehab"? I didn't know Obama and Dick Cheney were related as stated in your post. It is interesting to note "arjohny" that Bush 2 and Cheney had 3 DUI's between them and Laura Bush ran over and killed one of her class peers with her car. I don't think Teddy had any DUI's although I might be wrong maybe just a lifelong stain on his life for making a bad decision something I am sure he was forever sorry for. And I don't think he ever ran over and killed anybody with his car. So much for Skeletons "in your closet". I wonder what is in yours, I know mine is a little scary. I do know that both sides of the aisle, right and left recognized Ted Kennedy as the "Lion" of the senate and being a "Legendary" legislator putting into effect many laws that you probably unknowingly benefit from. I don't have any problems with Bobbys or Johns infatuation with Marilyn as she was quite beautiful and talented but sadly stricken with depression which prematurely ended her life. Given the opportunity I would have loved to have spent a few moments with any of them as they truly are part of our great history, good or bad. As for the "mob" correct me if I am wrong but Bobby was responsible for putting substantial pressure on them and in some circles it is believed that this may had something to do with John and Bobby's demise.

January 11 2011 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I would have liked to see it for the acting, & I especially was looking forward to Greg Kinnear as John Kennedy. I hope that most of us are sophisticated enough to realize it's not a documentary, and that there may be some creative liberties taken. Oh, who am I kidding.

January 11 2011 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sigmamfg00

This will air somehow in the United States. If not aired here it will air online someplace and US citizens will get their hands on it...what does Maria and Caroline have problems with ....?

January 11 2011 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jensopine

I was in the backyard raking leaves with my 2-year old baby girl - the back door was open and the radio was on... I heard the disc jockey's announcement of Kenney being shot in Dallas - the rest of the story I saw and heard over the years. So much has happened to this Country, so much change in what we see and hear. I am and have always been just another small potatoes person, ecking out a living and raising my kids, etc, and in the process trying to take the pain and hurts along the way with my own moments of hurting others and trying to keep a balance of being decent too. Point? My life has been filled with moments I wish I could take back. Moments I am not proud of. The only thing I don't have to wish about? That my one bankruptcy was the extent of not honoring my commitments to pay for what I spent through credit cards, etc. My wealth isn't any concern for those I have hurt to get the wealth. I don't come from old money that was gotten through deceit or criminal behaviors. So, as for the Kennedys? They are no different than the many who capitalize today on how they make their fortunes. As for the direction of our Country? I don't know why anyone would want to be president or in politics. They are not given a huge amount of respect and are constantly being defamed by all those who are convinced they would live and do things differently. I was however and still carry to a degree a great sadness for the so-called incidents of bobby and john's ties with marilyn, the mob and other dark places. The truth here is that men are men, and women like marilyn, well she had a lot of problems in her head. Truthfully I just cannot come to grips with John and her as John had many shortcomings with his physical health, namely his back. So if people would put 2 plus 2 together, the likelihood of his involvement with marilyn is really inconsequential. But we believe what we want to believe. Live long enough and you will find the mirror hides enough backlash to put those stones back where they belong in the dirt.

January 11 2011 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

This version of the Kennedy history is a hack job according to historians, never mind the complaints of the Kennedy family.

Too many folks think believe everything they see on TV.

January 11 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TAMAR

No family has a spotless history, the Kennedy's included. We know of so much and yet so little. Why pull a show that may or may not show the family in a perfect spotlight. Because they have connections we are cheated out of entertainment. If they were so concerned about the family portrayal why did they allow the show to be made in the first place? Stop trying to be so damn perfect and admit that you, like the rest of us, are flawed.

January 11 2011 at 1:48 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
ncfmichael

So much for free speech!

January 11 2011 at 1:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
judywelsha

IWEAVER363

SHAME ON YOU-THERE IS NO REASON FOR AN ASSINATION-ASK ARIZONA RESIDENTS
THIS COMMENT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED!!!!!

January 11 2011 at 1:41 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
MIZZ NEEEEEEEEEE

Who, among us has the loudest voice? To hell with the Kennedy Family, I want to see this movie, if it was good enough to make, then it should be good enough to see....it is after all entertainment, correct? Do these people think the American public is that stupid to not already know the truth? Or are they the stupid ones? I say the Kennedy's don't have the right to come into my living room and take my programming away! Enough is enough!
Put the damn movie on and let us be the judge.

January 11 2011 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arjohny

wonder why it was pulled . . . it will only serve to hype interest. i suspect it involves the trysts of bobby and john with marilyn monroe, mob molls and others and teddy's drunkenness and lack of life saving abilities.

January 11 2011 at 1:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply