October 1, 2014

Boston Rob and Russell Return for 'Survivor: Redemption Island'

by Jean Bentley, posted Jan 13th 2011 10:30AM
Boston Rob Mariano, Russell Hantz, Survivor: Redemption IslandCBS announced the final two cast members today for 'Survivor: Redemption Island,' and chances are you've seen them many times before.

The returning castaways joining the latest edition of the long-running reality show are Boston Rob Mariano and Russell Hantz. Rob is returning to compete for the fourth time, while Russell is making his third appearance, Entertainment Weekly reports.

Neither veteran will get immunity, contrary to some spoiler reports online, but host Jeff Probst told EW he doesn't think they'll get the boot right away. "I do not think Russell or Rob will be the first person voted out of this game. Because I think they bring too much experience -- 156 days between the two of them. When you're playing a game, there's a lot to be learned."

Although this is Russell's third time competing in four seasons, Probst said he doesn't think viewers are tired of him yet. "If you've had too much of Russell, I dare say you're not really a 'Survivor' fan. He embodies 'Survivor.' He's polarizing. You hate him or you love him."

As for Rob, Probst thinks he has a good chance of taking the whole competition. "Rob is likable enough. He could win," Probst told EW. "Russell's not going to win. Russell doesn't get that. He's not gonna win. Even if he was nice this season, the payoff for past seasons won't let him win. Rob is going to have a tough time if he makes it to the merge."

Rob and Russell join a group of 16 previously announced contestants.

Tell us: What do you think of Rob and Russell coming back?

Loni Taylor Clevelan

I am so glad they are coming back!!! and I hear they have immunity for 4 weeks or 4 votes..

February 07 2011 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

no i will not watch the show if russell comes back on im over him and he is a snake like susan said on survivor about richard and other people need a chance to play and if he does come back i hope the cast members vote his ass out first if there smart enough to do so im sure they saw how the snake is

February 02 2011 at 4:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Marion

people who make over 200,000 a year shouldnt even be considered for a spot on the show.. why dont you try a show with just homeless people. that would be a great show.now those people are true surviors and would be perfect for the show. i would love to see that. its not like you cant walk out the front door and find someone who is homeless. send some of your staff out onto the streets and pick some of the homeless people. i know you had 1 person on your show that was homeless, but im sure you can find plenty. you have the power to change lives. so do it. quit giving into the rich and start giving back to the poor

January 26 2011 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marion

wow ive read all the coments. not looking like to many people are happy about the return of rob and crybaby russell. bad move survior. bring back people that deserve to be on the show and who truley need the money . like me

January 26 2011 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marion

i have watched survior since it started. i am really dissappointed with the show. it was nice when they had just regular people on the show, especially because it was people who really need the money. now you just keep bringing back the people who dont need the money. why is it that when you have something good going that you feel the need to change what is not broke. not sure if ill be watching the show anymore. ill probably only watch it as a last resort if nothing else is on tv. there are 500 million prople in the u.s. im thinking there are plenty of people you can recruit for your show. i would love to be on survior. i even submitteed a tape for the 2nd season. . i sure hope you do something different in the future with the show. tired of seeing the same people.

January 26 2011 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HEY BECKI

I'm so sick of Rob & Russell!!! Sorry CBS, I will not be watching any more. I have watched Survivor since day 1 & I feel I don't deserve to see these rats again!

January 25 2011 at 10:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
darcy

I LOVE Rob! Can't wait to see the new season! Hope he can last longer than the last time he was on. People need to realize what a help he can be and align with him. Russell- well, I wouldn't trust him! Hopefully the other contestants will not be taken in. This group will have had the chance to see him twice and should know better! Go Rob!

January 24 2011 at 6:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
toplabdoggy

Do NOT want to see Boston Rob ever ,ever again!!! I am so tired of seeing the same people over and over again. If Rob couldn't win after 3 trys maybe he should just get a real job ! Let new people play! PLEASE.

January 24 2011 at 6:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
weatherdiva

The new seasons are becoming like re-runs. They came, they played, they lost. Somebody needs to get over it and bring on the new contestants. If there is a shortage, sign me up!

January 17 2011 at 5:06 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT ROB IS COMING BACK, INSTEAD OF GIVING SOMEONE ELSE A CHANCE AT THE MONEY. THERE MUST BE SO MANY THAT WANT TO BE ON SHOW, AS FOR ME I AM TIRED OF HIM AND RUSSELL, THAT IS TERRIBLE, I DIDN'T LIKE SURVIVOR LAST YEAR I KNOW THIS YEAR I WILL NOT WATCH, THE SHOW HAS RUN IT'S COURSE AND SHOULD GO OUT INTO THE SUNSET.

January 17 2011 at 10:40 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply