August 30, 2014

PTC Blasts 'Skins,' 'Alcatraz' to Begin Shooting Next Week and More

by Jean Bentley, posted Jan 13th 2011 1:00PM
SkinsNotorious buzz-killers the Parents Television Council are at it again, calling MTV's new 'Skins,' which debuts on Monday, "the most dangerous show for teens."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, PTC President Tim Winter said in a statement, "The marketing campaign itself makes light of lying to parents and participating in all manner of harmful, irresponsible, illegal and adult-themed behavior. The trailers we have seen thus far make sexual objects of almost every single one of its characters and asks not only for viewers to approve, but to actively participate by posting their own secret stories."

MTV probably isn't too worried about it, though, considering their ads seem to have been designed to incite controversy anyway.

UPDATE: Watch the 'Skins' cast respond to the PTC claims here.

In other news ...

J.J. Abrams revealed that 'Alcatraz' is set to begin shooting next week. The Fox pilot, which stars Jorge Garcia, will film starting Jan. 19. [THR]

Syfy's new series 'School Spirits' will examine haunted high schools and colleges across the country. The Mark Burnett-produced show is currently in development and will feature interviews with students, staff and faculty who have witnessed paranormal occurrences. [Variety]

Showtime is in talks to develop a docuseries about the San Francisco Giants. The Mike Tollin-produced show would follow the World Series-winning baseball team. [Entertainment Weekly]

Fox just greenlit a new multicamera comedy, 'I Hate My Teenage Daughter.' The sitcom follows two women who realize their daughters are just like the mean girls who made fun of them in high school. [Deadline]

FX boxing drama 'Lights Out' fizzled in the ratings on Tuesday night. The new series debuted to jut 1.5 million total viewers, with a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demo. That's worse than the recently canceled 'Terriers.' [THR]

Pikabo

gobluespartyon; You sound like a snotty teenager, you've replied with the same nasty, immature comments to every person that disagrees with this type of filth on tv. This is the exact type of behavior parents are trying to keep their children from emulating. This show is garbage and glorifies all that is wrong with today's youth.
Yes, as parents we know some teens participate in this behavior but the entertainment industry has contributed to the "teen sex is fine, drugs are cool" mentality. You keep claiming that is baseless- you're wrong. Do some research, plenty of studies have been done on the matter.
I have a 16 year old son and even he thinks this show is pathetic and will be a bad influence. As for pushing "morals & ethics" on you- Everyone imparts their own version of morality on others. It just depends on who's standard of morals you wish to draw from. My family will not be sinking to the level of "Skins" or MTV's moral standards. Several sponsors have pulled their advertising from "Skins" including Taco Bell, Wrigleys and GM, Bravo! I hope more will soon follow. Take away the almighty dollar & the show will be canceled soon.

January 23 2011 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pikabo's comment
gobluespartyon

Nope you're dead wrong Pikabo you're totally immature and everything you have said is a lie and you're being judgemental. Those studies are baseless from PTC which your sheep and prude that is out of touch with reality. And you support cenorship which is wrong as well you clearly don't know what morals are then you wouldn't be shoving them down people's throat. I don't if some pulled out of the show that is there choice I don't boycott just because they pull out of show boycotting is dumb and stupid as well. I'm always right.

January 30 2011 at 3:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cleanfreaks2

Just what teens need....more ideas to f**k themselves up

January 16 2011 at 7:06 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cleanfreaks2's comment
gobluespartyon

Which your claims are lies and baseless and your dead wrong Cleanfreaks2.

January 16 2011 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mynenny1120

I am a retired school teacher. Some shows on TV are horroifying. They promote meanness, vindictiveness, sexual promiscuity, irresponsibility, violence, bullying, selfishness and negativity toward anything, and anybody. All of these things are spilling over into real life. Yes, I blame TV and the irresponsible people who think up these reprehensible shows, those who produce them and the advertisers who sponsor them. I also blame the clowns in Washington. More importantly. I blame parents who don't have any qualms about what kind of trash they allow their kids to see, hear, and experience. They let their children run all over over them, because they don't set boundaries, or, if you will, rules, and stick to them. I blame violent parents-voilence does indeed beget voilence: in the heart, i the mind, in the home, in the neighborhood, in the community and so on. The parents have MUCH more important things to do then sit with their children and read to them, or play games with them, or clean the house with them, help them with their schoolwork or try to explain how our world got this way, and why we are leaving it to them like this. I don't llive in a June Cleaver world. I live in this real one, and it is very sad. I'm sure there are people who feel the way I do.

January 16 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mynenny1120's comment
gobluespartyon

Your a prude that is out touch with reality and the real world as well you don't know what your talking about either Mynenny1120. TV Networks shouldn't be the babysitter and shouldn't have to look for the kids so your claims are lies and are baseless as well. I'm always right.

January 16 2011 at 8:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
maverick

Skins,Jersey Shore,Teen Mom. MTV=Moron Television. Enough said.

January 16 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
KIM COLBERG

I knew from just seeing the promo's for this show there was absolutely no way I would allow my tweens to watch.
I trust their judgement and rarely have to censor their entertainment but come on MTV this one is just far too much!

January 16 2011 at 6:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dsahfreeman

To egslugbug...Not all teenagers just some...

January 16 2011 at 6:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ALM

MTV has gone the toilet and even though I don't think this show will do the original justice, it may bring back what televisions are supposed to have: shows with actors who portray characters with (somewhat of a ) depth and not just "reality". Obviously kids who watch this should be smart enough to know right and wrong and that this is a story blah, blah that bullshit.

January 16 2011 at 5:59 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
cgslugbug

oh no! a show on television themed around rebellious teenagers. gasp! what a concept. MTV does not contribute to the moral decline of youth in todays society, it simply reflects the reality of what it is like to be a teenager. It's crazy to assume exposure to this specific type of program will influence your kids to lie, rebel, and party as a teenager, when most likely, they're going do it anyway....because thats what teenagers do.

January 16 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cgslugbug's comment
DUTCHBOY

WHY?

January 16 2011 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wickedlilxtalena

Why are parents just saying this about the Skins? I gues they dont care about The Jersey Shore cast and Snooki giving makeovers to 11 year old girls. Or teenage girls getting pregnant. What is the world comig to

January 16 2011 at 5:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
thetruckerking

I love reading comments like "should be banned from TV" and "contributes to the moral decay of our society". You good parents are hysterical. Do any of you remember how Elvis was going to cause every teen aged girl in the world to become pregnant and rock and roll was the music of the devil? If you want to read your bible and and hold church services while these evil shows are on, I say more power to you but don't start pushing your values on everyone. Some of us have managed to watch Jackass and the Wildboyz without ever committing a crime or injuring ourselves. My kids have always been free to watch whatever they want to on TV because I do this rare magical thing called teaching them right from wrong. They know that TV is TV and they know not to do stuff just because they saw it on TV. Yeah, I know that is a strange concept to most of you but it's worked great for me. None of my kids have ever lit themself on fire or been to jail or anything, amazing.

January 16 2011 at 5:49 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to thetruckerking's comment
DUTCHBOY

THAT YOU KNOW OF.

January 16 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
gobluespartyon

You get it Thetruckerking that the way my parents told me from right from wrong and I always knew not to try the they did on TV comon sense. Biblethumbers & prudes just don't get.

January 16 2011 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply